Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-13-2004   #21
shinerbock_texas
Rookie

Further to the above (2) young QBS, can you see I either being sent to NFL Europe for prep work? Its good training for the young QBS.

If I remember correctly the Patriots QB Rohan played over in Eurpoe quite well.
shinerbock_texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004   #22
rhc564
Veteran

Default deep ball

...correct me if I'm wrong but in one of Ragone's 2 starts he threw 2
long 'bombs' that hit the receiver in the hands at full stride-- both passes
were dropped...also, Ragone came out of college with some impressive
credentials, like being a 2 time offensive player of the year in his conference,
right or wrong?
rhc564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004   #23
Cincinnatikid
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhc564
...correct me if I'm wrong but in one of Ragone's 2 starts he threw 2
long 'bombs' that hit the receiver in the hands at full stride-- both passes
were dropped...also, Ragone came out of college with some impressive
credentials, like being a 2 time offensive player of the year in his conference,
right or wrong?
Actually you are wrong. He was a THREE time offensive player of the year in C-USA.
Cincinnatikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004   #24
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 226074 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

You're correct about the dropped passes though. It seemed like those two starts were a complete team meltdown. For starters he had Hollings running for him which pretty much translated to no running game. Hollings wasn't ready to be in there either but both of them were pressed into service because of injuries to Carr, Banks, and Davis The line blocked for him like they were trying to get him caught up on David Carr's 2002 experience, and when he did hit recievers they dropped most everything he hit them with. I don't think much of anything worked in those games.

But when they were over Capers was positive that the team would get through this and he remained impressed with their character and effort. There were good things he saw on film after those games and he was impressed with the way the team never quit (which technically was true at least in the Jacksonville game because you can't quit if you never bother to start)
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004   #25
mac15
Rookie

I have to agree with Cinci. But, why so caught up on the "third round draft pick"? Had he left his junior year he would have went 1, or early in the 2nd. (Blame the third round on the poor O-line at U of L.) At least he's got experience with that?! Bottom line--you can't judge his potential on the 2 games he played his rookie season. Seems to me you've really got nothing to lose giving the guy a shot. Rather it be the offensive coordinator, O-line, or QB--there's a problem somewhere. I still stand by a future post--Ragone will grow into a good QB with the right organization. I don't know if it's here or not, but you might as well give him some playing time while he's here before you cut him loose and he ends up being an asset that you could have used all along.
mac15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004   #26
rockabilly
Veteran

Rep Power: 31 rockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Loook

Look at the way Volek is playing for the Titans. 3 tds so far for the Titans. I second the notion to move out Banks and bring Ragone to 2nd and Symmons to 3rd. I wonder how much better Carr would be if he DIDNT think he had job security. Think about it. Wouldnt you play a bit harder and get more emotional with your offense if you knew that at any moment, Dave Ragone could replace you as starter?

I think that may be a problem as well. Does Carr's knowing that the Texans office will not let him go or bench him have him not in the game at full throttle?

Also, how was Symmons in college? (Again, I do not watch college ball)
rockabilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004   #27
rhc564
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly
Look at the way Volek is playing for the Titans. 3 tds so far for the Titans. I second the notion to move out Banks and bring Ragone to 2nd and Symmons to 3rd. I wonder how much better Carr would be if he DIDNT think he had job security. Think about it. Wouldnt you play a bit harder and get more emotional with your offense if you knew that at any moment, Dave Ragone could replace you as starter?

I think that may be a problem as well. Does Carr's knowing that the Texans office will not let him go or bench him have him not in the game at full throttle?

Also, how was Symmons in college? (Again, I do not watch college ball)
Symmons(sp) only started his senior year at Texas Tech but broke virtually
every major passing record for a single season-- one year totals were better
than some guys entire careers
rhc564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004   #28
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

And then, of course, we have Ragone's outstanding performances in the preseason of 2004, where he excelled at moving the team backwards via fumbled snaps and blown plays. This guy wasn't even close to a #2 QB this season.

If Carr's regressing, he needs to play through it. Also, this isn't the time to start experimenting at QB because this team still owes its fans at LEAST 2 more wins to stay on a consistent path of improvement.

I agree that Symons and the Rag will be the backups next year and I'm OK with that, assuming Symons recovers fully. I have to say that about our draft picks because we seem to have a problem with drafting injured people who never get better (Boselli, Joppru, Hollings)...on the other hand, we got a steal with the damaged Glenn Earl.

One thing I remind myself is that backup QBs can vary dramatically based on their supporting cast. Case in point: Brian Griese was absolutely HORRIBLE in a brief midseason run in Miami last year, but seems to have redeemed himself somewhat this year. Maybe Ragone, through either changes around him or growth as a pro, will perform much better in 2005's camp. So far I've seen little to support that, but I hope it happens.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004   #29
TexansNFL
Rookie

[Agree with ArlingtonTexan that Ragone was a Casserly mistake. Worst one yet.[/quote]

Wow...Ragone worse than Boselli...Young, Jopru, McKinney, Bradford, Carr???
TexansNFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004   #30
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansNFL
[Agree with ArlingtonTexan that Ragone was a Casserly mistake. Worst one yet.
Wow...Ragone worse than Boselli...Young, Jopru, McKinney, Bradford, Carr???[/quote]

i don't think i said he was the worse mistake, but if you wish to criticize BPA philosophy that Ragone has been a negative example of what can happen when you pick a position you don't need.

I could still be wrong and he proves an effective back-up QB, but my inital impression tell me no.
ArlingtonTexan is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read