Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-10-2007   #1
CoogBull
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to CoogBull
Default Random Thoughts on the Texans

Now that the season is long over and I have had time to calm down, drink a little, and reflect on the season, I have some random thoughts on the state of my favorite team.

1. The worst 3 things that could happen to the Texans this year all happened a. VY became a superstar, b. RB became a superstar, c. Mario underachieved.

2. Our defense is a diamond in the rough.

3. The Colts were beaten by each team in the South. Their reign of terror is coming to an end.

4. We are still the worst team in the South, but the Jags are getting there.

5. The draft this year is very important. Kubes and McNair have to show the fans that they are committed to winning.

6. MarShawn Lynch looks better every day.

7. As fans we need to all come together around our team. I know many are still upset about the VY/RB thing, hell I am too. Still it is all water under the bridge. The FO made a massive mistake, but there is nothing to be done about it. To be true fans we need to be there for thick and thin. Think of the Texans as a child.

8. Having a man crush on Demeco Ryans in no way reflects on your sexuality.

9. Kevin Kolb looks better everyday.

10. None of us know what next season might bring. The Texans could be the Saints of the 2007-2008 season.

11. The best thing about football: fundamentals.

CoogBull - A man for all seasons.
CoogBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #2
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Random Thoughts on the Texans

I pretty much agree with that, except for this:

"The Texans could be the Saints of the 2007-2008 season. "

The Saints had a talented, underachieving team. It was only a matter of time before they had a season like this. Technically, it could happen to the Texans too, but it would take replacing Carr with somebody that comes in and makes him look really horrible by playing like a Pro Bowler. I think its possible that Plummer could do that (under Kubiak), but no guarantee.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #3
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

My only real disagreement is with #9. Kolb is not looking good to me and I don't think he'd fit in with what Kubiak wants to do offensively.

I'm also not sold on Lynch, yet, either. I have to see how he looks at the Combine. I need to see more of him before I'm ready to jump on his bandwagon.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #4
CoogBull
Rookie

I know a lot of people are not sold on Kolb, but I think he has the talent. I went to UH and spent a lot of time watching him. I think he can be a great pro if given a couple of years to develop.

I like Lynch over Peterson. Peterson worries me for some reason. My friends are all Arizona State fans so I have had to watch lots of Pac-10 football and Lynch has really impressed me.

If the Texans did not take Kolb I would not be devestated, but I think the guy has the talent and I would like to see him in a Texans uniform.

Old 02-10-2007   #5
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 428 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

I am a big Lynch fan as well, he is shorter, BUT! is bigger. And he is used out of the back field as well.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #6
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Lynch, at best, is a weak AP with better hands.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #7
fdknuckles
Rookie

7. As fans we need to all come together around our team. I know many are still upset about the VY/RB thing, hell I am too. Still it is all water under the bridge. The FO made a massive mistake, but there is nothing to be done about it. To be true fans we need to be there for thick and thin. Think of the Texans as a child.

OHH Rahhh!

Finally, Someone realizes...look, this is OUR team...Wins /Losses...it doesn't matter we ARE TEXANS.

We tripled our wins...couldn't get much worse than 2005. But WE ARE TEXANS ... This is our team, like it or love it or leave. We can succeed or we might lose, but we are what we are. I don't care if Carr wears steel blue & red next year, this is our team and regardless if Kubes makes the best or worst decision during the draft, I am a Texan. All those "fans" who say I won't take it any more, go to Dallas but don't try to drag me down with your fair weather fanhood.

Look we ain't the Colt's, with their Superbowl ring or the Raven's with their black Sunday defense, but we are TEXANS! What ever negativity and second guessing the draft you want to do leave the rest of us alone.

I AM A TEXAN...This is MY Team and regardless of a bad season, today or tomorrow......

I AM A TEXAN
fdknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-10-2007   #8
TexanBearkat
Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to TexanBearkat

I think Kolb is a guy who in time could be a good NFL QB. It's not inconceivable that the Texans get a veteran QB or allow Rosenfels to become the starter and draft another QB somewhere in the 3rd-5th round range for the future. A lot of people have been talking about the possibility of getting Plummer, Garcia or a few other people but Rosenfels looked very comfortable in the system when he had the opportunity to play. At the very least I hope if the Texans keep Carr they tell him that he is now competing for the starting job against Sage or whatever other QB the Texans sign.

Personally, I hope Carr is not here next season. I am a fan of his and do still believe he can be a good QB in this league. However I also think it would be better for all parties if he were elsewhere, then David Carr and the Texans can all get a fresh start. Just my two cents.
Old 02-11-2007   #9
mapleleaf
Veteran

Huh. My guess would be to get rid of Carr or else...
Old 02-11-2007   #10
CoogBull
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBearkat View Post
I think Kolb is a guy who in time could be a good NFL QB. It's not inconceivable that the Texans get a veteran QB or allow Rosenfels to become the starter and draft another QB somewhere in the 3rd-5th round range for the future. A lot of people have been talking about the possibility of getting Plummer, Garcia or a few other people but Rosenfels looked very comfortable in the system when he had the opportunity to play. At the very least I hope if the Texans keep Carr they tell him that he is now competing for the starting job against Sage or whatever other QB the Texans sign.

Personally, I hope Carr is not here next season. I am a fan of his and do still believe he can be a good QB in this league. However I also think it would be better for all parties if he were elsewhere, then David Carr and the Texans can all get a fresh start. Just my two cents.
I agree with you on the Kolb thing. The biggest mistake we made with Carr was throwing him into the mix right away. I think Kevin can be taken in the second round and developed for two or three seasons.

I like David Carr on a personal level. That being said I do not want to see him in a Texans uniform. I just think that things have soured on him so bad that he should seek greener pastures. I harbor no ill will toward the man.

No matter who the Texans take I will be happy. I love my team, not one or two players.

Our glory day will come.

From the darkness a light shall spring. The Texans will one day grasp the ring.

Old 02-11-2007   #11
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
My only real disagreement is with #9. Kolb is not looking good to me and I don't think he'd fit in with what Kubiak wants to do offensively.

I'm also not sold on Lynch, yet, either. I have to see how he looks at the Combine. I need to see more of him before I'm ready to jump on his bandwagon.
Further: The guy is a train wreck throwing the ball on the run. We run the QB alot in this offense. Kolb will not be on this roster May 1. Kolb has a chance to make it on a vertical passing team...we don't do that.
Old 02-11-2007   #12
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoogBull View Post
I know a lot of people are not sold on Kolb, but I think he has the talent. I went to UH and spent a lot of time watching him. I think he can be a great pro if given a couple of years to develop.

I like Lynch over Peterson. Peterson worries me for some reason. My friends are all Arizona State fans so I have had to watch lots of Pac-10 football and Lynch has really impressed me.

If the Texans did not take Kolb I would not be devestated, but I think the guy has the talent and I would like to see him in a Texans uniform.
It has nothing to do with being "Sold" on Kevin Kolb. He's a fine young QB prospect that doesn't fit our system. He doesn't have , never will have, the skill set to run the Denver system. I don't know what it is about this you do not understand...go watch the fricken tapes. He can't throw on the run period. We run the waggle a lot...watch the plays to Owen Daneils from last year. Fake the daive to the left, roll the QB right...on the fricken run...throw the ball...on the run. Watch the tapes. Kolb can't run this play. And he's so foot strung, shoulder strung,throwing the ball on the run Kubes isn't going to fix it. Either you can do the skill or you can't. Kolb can't.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 02-11-2007 at 03:15 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007   #13
CoogBull
Rookie

I have watched Kolb. I went to UH with him and went to every home game for three years and a good portion of the away games.

I saw him throw on the run lots of times. Granted he is more likely to just hightail it up the field, but he can throw on the run. In addition, the offense of UH is more concerned with quickness than with holding onto the ball. Kevin often got rid of the ball quickly instead of having to roll out due to pressure.

Most people have only seen Kolb on TV a few times if at all.

Anyway, just because he did not do it every other play in college does not mean that he can not do it.

Still I take your objection. Perhaps he would be better off somewhere else based on his degree of rawness.

Every young player that come into the NFL is raw to one degree or another. From what I have been hearing JaMarcus Russell is super raw and needs lots of work. Whoever gets him will teach him some new things, break the bad habits he has, and make him a decent QB.

What we hear so much during the draft is the word "potential." My dictionary defines that as "capable of being or becoming." Potential is all we can talk about during the draft because, after the Combines, workouts, and other tools of measurement are over we still have no idea what these men will be five years or even five days later.

To reinterate my point: Does Kolb have potential, yes; does he deserve at least a look from the Texans, yes; will I be heartbroken and damn them to hell if he is not taken, no.

In fact, I think there is a very good arguement to be made for not drafting a QB at all this year. The draft is shallow in that area and other places need attention.

Maybe we should bring in a vet, give Sage a little play, and wait till we find a draft heavier in talent or someone we feel fits perfectly.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read