Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-06-2004   #41
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes, I agree with Porky on the David Carr issue. If Carr is going to be the man and wear the daddy pants on this team then he's going to have to take the heat that's part of an NFL quarterbacks life. Yes they get too much credit when they win and too much blame when they lose but yesterday Carr was ineffective and that's just the plain truth. Anyone who doesn't feel that Carr was a large part of the complete Texans collapse yesterday needs to watch the game again.

Personally I just don't think he's ready to carry the team on his shoulders. He's not mentally ready for it and there's nobody else who can do it. You're going to get your offense in one of two ways (simple enough). You're either going to be throwing the ball or your're going to be running the ball. This season we aren't running the ball worth beans and it puts all the weight on Carr's shoulders which is IMO a very bad thing at this point in his development. Following his 2002 beating and his 2003 injuries Carr more than anything needed a year where he could depend on a running game. He didn't get it. Davis failed him, the offensive line failed him, and more than anything the Texans organization failed him. They failed to put him in a position where he could grow into the QB they are convinced he can be.

Hindsight is often 20/20 but that's not always the case. Sometimes you can look back at what happened and draw the wrong conclusion and I might be doing that here but what the hell. I really believe that starting Carr in 2002 was a mistake. I even have the slight idea bouncing around in my head that drafting Carr in 2002 might have been a mistake. That's not meant to be a knock on David Carr. It's about how the Texans went about building their team in the beginning. Picking a QB first and then throwing him out there to be beaten to death smacks of the "Tim Couch Experience". If the Texans knew their line was garbage then why did they draft this young man and then throw him into the worst beat down in NFL history? Was it to put fans in the seats because if that's the case they did it for no reason at all. The fans were in the seats regardless. Was it to get experience? Experience in what? How to pick yourself off the ground after another sack?

They took a guy with confidence to spare and all the physical tools you could ask for and turned him into a skittish QB waiting for the hit. They spent all that time working with him to get his throwing motion up higher and then put him in a position where he'd be running for his life and lucky to get it away regardless of how he threw the ball and the results of this are on display every Sunday for the rest of the season. Sometimes he gets comfortable and you see what he's capable of but David Carr trusts his offense about as much as I trust the Palestinian Authority to elect a man of peace who wants to stop the violence in the middle east and who can blame him?

If the Texans don't get a running game by the start of next season then they can expect to see David Carr's production continue to decline. It's not about what a great QB he can be. That's niether here nor there. Each situation is different and each player is different. Many rookie QB's could produce a winning season if placed in Ben Rothlesburgers position with a great team around them. Maybe they wouldn't have his ability but properly managed they could win more than they lost. No rookie QB to ever strap on a helmet could make lemonade out of the lemons Carr's been handed. David Carr can be a great QB. The jury is still out on him but the clock is in fact ticking and without help he's going to fail.

Jeez, Dan Pastorini didn't get half the reception that Carr has had and he never really got past that. He never lived up to his potential. Get a running game working people. Get it working before you turn this guy into another Tim Couch with more arm. I don't want to see Carr put in a position where he's close to tears in a locker room after being boo'd off the field in Reliant Stadium. He doesn't have to be in that position. He needs a consistent running game.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read