Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-17-2007   #21
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle
Default Re: NFLdraftcountdown updated mock Jan. 16...finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedtexansfan513 View Post
i think that brady quinn will still go to the raiders..and i can see russell going to the browns..regardless, we will get a great player with that draft pick
I don't know, I think if the Raiders are going to go with a QB then Russell is totally the type that they would be looking for, more flashy, much better physical abilities and potential, and a huge arm. On the contrary, I think Quinn fits more of what Cleveland would be looking for, more of a controlled, probably smarter and more experienced QB, probably a little more accurate and a better decision maker, not to mention he's from that area. Similarly, if Detroit was to take a QB I think they'd prefer Brady Quinn, although I don't think they are going to take a QB in the 1st round. That said, I could see any of those teams using their 1st pick on a different position. Cleveland could definitely take Adrian Peterson, Alan Branch, or even Joe Thomas if available, and the Raiders could look at Calvin Johnson or maybe Joe Thomas or Adrian Peterson, and Detroit could likely take Joe Thomas or Jamaal Anderson or Gaines Adams, whoever grades out as the better pass rusher.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007   #22
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

just the first shoe to fall off Scott Wrights foot- QB Colt Brennan announced this evening that he is rescinding his application to enter the 2007 draft and will return to school for his senior season next fall. so I guess that only affects picks 17 & down

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007   #23
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle View Post
I don't know, I think if the Raiders are going to go with a QB then Russell is totally the type that they would be looking for, more flashy, much better physical abilities and potential, and a huge arm. On the contrary, I think Quinn fits more of what Cleveland would be looking for, more of a controlled, probably smarter and more experienced QB, probably a little more accurate and a better decision maker, not to mention he's from that area. Similarly, if Detroit was to take a QB I think they'd prefer Brady Quinn, although I don't think they are going to take a QB in the 1st round. That said, I could see any of those teams using their 1st pick on a different position. Cleveland could definitely take Adrian Peterson, Alan Branch, or even Joe Thomas if available, and the Raiders could look at Calvin Johnson or maybe Joe Thomas or Adrian Peterson, and Detroit could likely take Joe Thomas or Jamaal Anderson or Gaines Adams, whoever grades out as the better pass rusher.
I just find it hard to believe that the Lions and Browns both pass on Quinn if he is highly rated as folks have him. They both need a QB. Moreover, I would imagine that Weis and Crennel will be talking a lot about Quinn.

If Cleve does not go with Quinn then perhaps Thomas is available. I believe with Crennel being on the chopping block he either positions a player that suits his core, defense, or goes with best OT in the draft. If he does not have a say then I can see the Browns FO taking Quinn to have a foundation for a future coach to work with on O - Quinn, Edwards and Winslow.
Old 01-17-2007   #24
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I just find it hard to believe that the Lions and Browns both pass on Quinn if he is highly rated as folks have him. They both need a QB. Moreover, I would imagine that Weis and Crennel will be talking a lot about Quinn.

If Cleve does not go with Quinn then perhaps Thomas is available. I believe with Crennel being on the chopping block he either positions a player that suits his core, defense, or goes with best OT in the draft. If he does not have a say then I can see the Browns FO taking Quinn to have a foundation for a future coach to work with on O - Quinn, Edwards and Winslow.
I think Cleveland is more likely to take him than Detroit is. Both teams have a lot of things that need to be fixed, although Detroit probably has more big needs than Cleveland. Detroit has said they don't intend to take a 1st round QB (take that for what it's worth) and are happy with Kitna for now, so I think they'd take Joe Thomas to shore up their pass protection or maybe a pass rusher like Jamaal Anderson or Gaines Adams if they grade out high enough. Adrian Peterson to Cleveland was a popular pick in mock drafts for a while, but I think Droughns is a pretty solid back and they have enough other needs that I'm currently leaning towards them passing on AP, plus I hope he falls to us. I could also see them taking Alan Branch, maybe Joe Thomas if he falls, or else a CB if one grades out high enough.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007   #25
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp View Post
31.Indianapolis---------PATRICK WILLIS

If he fell that far I would really consider trading up for him. Ya I know we have to many needs to trade up. But still I would consider it.
Yea I agree we really need all the picks we can get..there are so many needs and can have starters....like this year going into the 4th/5th rounds.

BUT...I would love to trade up and grab Patrick Willis from the Colts. I don't know what we'd really have to give up..maybe our 2nd and 3rd for their 1st and 4th? I think those points are roughly similiar...and they may actually go for that. i don't know if I would though.

but we'd get Willis to put next to Ryans for the next decade and have two of the best youngest LB's in all of football...if only merriman was with 'em! Plus we wouldn't have to Face Patrick twice a year for a long time to come..I'd rather face Peyton. lol
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007   #26
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 62893 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle View Post
I could also see them taking Alan Branch, maybe Joe Thomas if he falls, or else a CB if one grades out high enough.
I think when people notice the Browns nose tackle with 16 years in the league and his backup on IR, it is easy to write in Alan Branch for Cleveland's 1st pic.
Old 01-17-2007   #27
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
I think when people notice the Browns nose tackle with 16 years in the league and his backup on IR, it is easy to write in Alan Branch for Cleveland's 1st pic.
yeah your probably right, that would set up rather nicely for Romeo Crennel's predecessor

look he is going to fight for his job & take the best playmaker available with that first pick to help Frye succeed & for him to keep his job.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 01-17-2007   #28
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
yeah your probably right, that would set up rather nicely for Romeo Crennel's predecessor

look he is going to fight for his job & take the best playmaker available with that first pick to help Frye succeed & for him to keep his job.
That's what I'm afraid of. But that may be a quicker ticket out of there in the FO eyes...Branch is starting to sound like the sound choice if the starter is 16 year vet and the back up is injured. a smarter decision for the franchise. But i dont know the browns too well. I'd fire my coach if if he didn't fix that and the player to fix the NT is rated high too. but thats just me.
Old 01-18-2007   #29
dbspi
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 dbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Scott wright has said he will come out with second round picks on Thursday. So keep checking the board.

Now that Colt Brennen has decided to stay in school so he will also update that in the first round.
dbspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007   #30
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
That's what I'm afraid of. But that may be a quicker ticket out of there in the FO eyes...Branch is starting to sound like the sound choice if the starter is 16 year vet and the back up is injured. a smarter decision for the franchise. But i dont know the browns too well. I'd fire my coach if if he didn't fix that and the player to fix the NT is rated high too. but thats just me.
this is what you should be afraid of- not picking your franchise player (we should know a little something about this if your a Brown fan or not) then addressing that dire need latter (2nd rd. Cal Brandon Mebane) or FA even if you have to reach a little bit or overpay to fill it. the fastest way to stay on the job is to win in the NFL, you don't pass on that difference maker for need. but thats just me.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 01-18-2007   #31
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
this is what you should be afraid of- not picking your franchise player (we should know a little something about this if your a Brown fan or not) then addressing that dire need latter (2nd rd. Cal Brandon Mebane) or FA even if you have to reach a little bit or overpay to fill it. the fastest way to stay on the job is to win in the NFL, you don't pass on that difference maker for need. but thats just me.
I no doubt agree with you...but a needs a need even if it is a DT which is a huge part of the defense. It's not the sexy pick...but neither are their uniforms jk but seriously they arent
Old 01-18-2007   #32
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Why is Aaron Ross not a first rounder? Every time I watch him play I think wow...and every time I watch Quentin Moses play I think UGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-18-2007   #33
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I get the feeling that Crennel is going to be one of those coaches who doesn't do well his first time as a head coach, but is going to succeed his second time. Kind of like Bill Belichek. He wasn't that great when he was the coach of the Browns, but look at him now. I don't know why I think this. Just a gut feeling.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007   #34
Luv Ya Blue 2007
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Yea I agree we really need all the picks we can get..there are so many needs and can have starters....like this year going into the 4th/5th rounds.

BUT...I would love to trade up and grab Patrick Willis from the Colts. I don't know what we'd really have to give up..maybe our 2nd and 3rd for their 1st and 4th? I think those points are roughly similiar...and they may actually go for that. i don't know if I would though.

but we'd get Willis to put next to Ryans for the next decade and have two of the best youngest LB's in all of football...if only merriman was with 'em! Plus we wouldn't have to Face Patrick twice a year for a long time to come..I'd rather face Peyton. lol
I like the idea. I would like to hear yall's thoughts on trading D.Carr and T. Johnson to Cleveland for their 3rd round pick. That would fill the void for us if we gave up our 2&3 to the Colts.

Additionally, Trade down 5 spots to #13 and get their 3rd for our 4th

1. #13 Best safety
1. #31 Patrick Willis

Defense would really take a shot in the arm with those two additions
Luv Ya Blue 2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007   #35
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The Colts are drafting a DT...Patrick Willis can fall to us in the 2nd. If not, I don't want to trade up for him. S is a bigger need than LB.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007   #36
dbspi
Veteran

Scott Wright has up dated two rounds of mock draft on NFL draft count down site today. Here is the listing.

FIRST ROUND:

1.Oakland------------JAMARCUS RUSSELL
2.Detroit -------------JOE THOMAS
3.Cleveland-----------BRADY QUINN
4.Tampa Bay---------CALVIN JOHNSON
5.Arizona-------------ALAN BRANCH
6.Washington---------JAMAAL ANDERSON
7.Minnessota---------- GAINES ADAMS
8.HOUSTON-----------ADRIAN PETERSON
9.Miami----------------AMOBI OKOYE
10.Atlanta-------------LEON HALL
11.San Francisco------TED GINN, JR.
12.Buffalo-------------DARRELLE REVIS
13.St. Louis-----------LAWRENCE TIMMONS
14.Carolina------------LARON LANDRY
15.Pittsburgh----------MARSHAWN LYNCH
16.Green Bay----------DWAYNE JARRETT
17.jacksonville---------REGGIE NELSON
18.Cincinnati-----------DEMARCUS TYLER
19.tennessee----------QUENTIN MOSES
20.New York (G)-------DAYMEION HUGHES
21.Denver-------------ADAM CARRIKER
22.Dallas---------------JUSTIN BLALOCK
23.Kansas City---------LEVI BROWN
24.New England (SEA)--MARCUS MCCAULEY
25.New York (J)--------JARVIS MOSS
26.Philadelphia---------MICAEL GRIFFIN
27.New Orleans--------PAUL POSLUSZNY
28.New England--------DWAYNE BOWE
29.Baltimore-----------BEN GRUBBS
30.San Diego----------SIDNEY RICE
31.Indianapolis---------PATRICK WILLIS
32.Chicago------------ARRON SEARS

SECOND ROUND

33. Oakland......................TONY UGOH
34. Detroit.......................CHARLES JOHNSON
35. Tampa Bay..................QUINN PITCOCK
36. Cleveland ...................RYAN KALIL
37. Arizona ......................JOE STALEY
38. New York (J) ...............KENNY IRONS
39. Minnesota ...................ROBERT MEACHEM
40. Houston .....................ANTHONY GONZALEZ (WR - OHIO ST.)
41. Miami .........................RYAN HARRIS
42. Atlanta .......................MARCHALL YANDA
43. San Francisco ..............AARON ROSS
44. Buffalo .............. ........ZACH MILLER
45. St. Louis .....................LAMARR WOODLEY
46. Carolina ......................BUSTER DAVIS
47. Green Bay ...................GREGG OLSEN
48. Pittsburgh ...................ANTHONY SPENCER
49. Jacksonville .................TROY SMITH
50. Cincinnati ....................BRANDON MERIWEATHER
51. Tennessee ..................CHRIS HOUSTON
52. NY (G) ........................BRIAN LEONARD
53. Denver .......................JOSH WILSON
54. Dallas .........................ERIC WEDDLE
55. KC .............................CRAIG DAVIS
56. Seattle .......................JOSH BEEKMAN
57. NY (J) .........................IKIAKA ALAMA-FRANCIS
58. NO .............................MASON CROSBY
59. Philadelphia .................DREW STANTON
60. New England ...............DAVID HARRIS
61. Baltimore ....................MICHAEL BUSH
62. SD ............................RAY MCDONALD
63. Tampa Bay (f/Ind)........VICTOR ABIAMIRI
64. Chicago .....................JEFF SAMARDZIJA

Last edited by dbspi; 01-18-2007 at 05:04 AM.
Old 01-18-2007   #37
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I'm not sure why the Texans would take Gonzales in the second. Seems like CB, LB, or FS would be a more pressing need.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007   #38
dbspi
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346 View Post
I'm not sure why the Texans would take Gonzales in the second. Seems like CB, LB, or FS would be a more pressing need.
Yeah, it seems like all these guys are better options RYAN KALIL, JOE STALEY, RYAN HARRIS, BRANDON MERIWEATHER , AARON ROSS then Gonzalez at WR.
Old 01-18-2007   #39
whiskeyrbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346 View Post
Maybe for the same reason they show us picking #40, we have the #39 pick. I think we go OL or DB in 2nd rd anyway.
Old 01-18-2007   #40
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Well he's got the two cover corners going in the second. Like I posted, if you want one ...Petie insurance, going to have to take him at the thrty nine. We might get Clemments or Samuels.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read