Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-22-2004   #21
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

The way I see it.. we have probably got 3 starters from this last draft. Babin, Robinson, and Earl(if earl continues to work out)

Next year.. im assuming we will get at least 1 more defensive starter, and probably a couple of good backups (probably linemen) That depends on how we draft though. Who knows what could fall to us in the second round.

if that is the case.. then by year 5 with we will have 4-5 drafted starters on defense.. as well as 2 more FA periods. Our Oline should be set.. our WR corps should be as well.. and that will be about the time that we have to start signing our franchise players and letting others go.

SO.. year 5 will be it. That is the end of the 5 year plan.. if we do not show ourselves to be a top 10 team that year.. then it will be time to start looking at new coaches.. and a different way of doing things.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004   #22
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
The way I see it.. we have probably got 3 starters from this last draft. Babin, Robinson, and Earl(if earl continues to work out)

Next year.. im assuming we will get at least 1 more defensive starter, and probably a couple of good backups (probably linemen) That depends on how we draft though. Who knows what could fall to us in the second round.

if that is the case.. then by year 5 with we will have 4-5 drafted starters on defense.. as well as 2 more FA periods. Our Oline should be set.. our WR corps should be as well.. and that will be about the time that we have to start signing our franchise players and letting others go.

SO.. year 5 will be it. That is the end of the 5 year plan.. if we do not show ourselves to be a top 10 team that year.. then it will be time to start looking at new coaches.. and a different way of doing things.
i agree with almost everything you have said. scarry! the only thing i dont agree with is that playing not to lose stuff. none of those teams you mentioned have david carr and johnson. and we also dont have the defense that those teams have. capers needs to play to his teams strenghts right now. not practice his philosiphy for the future. this team cant play like that and win. and even later on when we do have the defensive talent i dont think we should ever play not to lose. those defensive teams had to play like that because of their talent on offense. plus some teams you failed to mention dallas, sf, gb, denver. had pretty good offenses and won super bowls.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004   #23
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

the ole defensive "playing not to lose" drives me nuts.. I remember when Jeff Fisher started with the Oilers/Titans... I hated that stuff. Defense wins championships and it will take some time to get that side of the ball built up.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004   #24
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

here's my take on it...if your playing not to lose your going to lose...i don't care what you say if your gonna try to only win by a field goal your going to lose almost everytime...the zone blocking scheme only works when you have the right personal to run it...right now we don't...zone blocking scheme generally works with lighter faster lineman...we have heavier slower lineman

as for the 3-4 defense it works give it time and it'll work just look at the steelers...as for davis he's not working...we need to get a game changer at runningback...someone who can move the chains even if the o-line isn't working...ever back is gonna have a few bad games but this has been ridiculous...as for capers himself...he's a good coach but maybe we need a change in offensive coordination...we need better lineman better backs and a better defensive personal

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read