Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-24-2004   #21
DominatorDavis
Veteran

That is exactly my question - why was it never an intention?
DominatorDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004   #22
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

The fact that he was the GOLDEN BOY #1 overall pick doesn't mean he will play up to his potential, look at Tim Couch who was a better prospect coming out of college than David Carr was and look how has turned out. If you have a chance to get better you do it that will put pressure on David Carr to perform up to his abilities. If he is so good thenhe shouldn't be worried about a 5th round pick taking his spot!!!!!!!!
Old 05-24-2004   #23
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH
Why? it is good having 2 talented QB's there is nothing wrong with having more talent to make your team better. Forget about he wouldn't have signed that's not the point i'm trying to make. All i'm saying is that if we have a chance to get a very talented player at any position you take and don't worry about who is comfortable, you have to play the game and if you can't hang then go to another team. This is NFL you have to PERFORM that's all i'm saying.
Cause the second the "Face of the Franchise" has a bad game you start rotating QBs and that is horrible for team chemistry.

Example: Browns
Couch has a couple of bad games so they put Holocomb and he wins a couple. And then Holocomb loses so they switch back. WRs cant get comfortable, the Center cant get comfortable, the leader in the huddle keeps changing.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004   #24
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
Cause the second the "Face of the Franchise" has a bad game you start rotating QBs and that is horrible for team chemistry.

Example: Browns
Couch has a couple of bad games so they put Holocomb and he wins a couple. And then Holocomb loses so they switch back. WRs cant get comfortable, the Center cant get comfortable, the leader in the huddle keeps changing.
Goodness man you guys kill me. If that's how you guys like then have it your way Quincy Carter had better numbers than David Carr and David had a top notch wr & rb with a 1,000 each and quincy had nothing on offense. David still has a lot to prove look his umber and quincys numbers.

David Carr 2003 167 295 2013 56.6 6.82 78 9 13 69.5 27 151 5.6 36 2

Quincy Carter 2003 292 505 3302 57.8 6.54 64 17 21 71.4 68 257 3.8 19 2
Old 05-24-2004   #25
PHAROAH
All Pro

Guys I love the Texans just having fun with thread don't take me so serious. I will say that we got a very good pick for him
Old 05-24-2004   #26
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH
Goodness man you guys kill me. If that's how you guys like then have it your way Quincy Carter had better numbers than David Carr and David had a top notch wr & rb with a 1,000 each and quincy had nothing on offense. David still has a lot to prove look his umber and quincys numbers.
Mr. Carter also had the #1 defense in the entire NFL which means better field position. Carr also missed, what, 4 games to Carters 0. Just two years ago, Carter was benched for Hutchinsion.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004   #27
Mistril48
All Pro

a) I believe we would never have signed Henson. He didn't consider himself a sixth round pick. He wanted substantial $, with substantial cap implications;

b) Even if he did sign, he wouldn't have developed without OPPORTUNNITY. I don't think the Texans are dissatisfied with Ragone's development, although he obviously has to develop more. Ragone was vey highly rated going into his senior year. Let's see this play out. Keeping Henson would have meant the end of the Ragone experiment;

c) Free market. We had a long time to work on it. We got what we got. There is no reason to believe anything other than the Cowboys came up with the most. They took a bigger risk than other teams were prepared to. I hope it works out for them. You like happy customers. We turned a 6 into a 3. We're already happy.
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004   #28
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I always heard that it was the Texans expectation to trade Drew Henson. I never heard anybody suggest that he would be part of the team.

I think QC will be the starter for the Cowboys with them getting Vinny Testaverde as a free agent to come in. He's a Parcells guy and wants to play for him again or so I've read. I think Henson will play some this year with the anticipation of him being their starter next year.

It was a good deal for both teams. The Texans got a draft pick and the Cowboys possibly got a starting QB. I'm sure both teams are satisfied with the deal.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004   #29
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

I hope Drew does well. There is no reason to spite another person for doing well. As it was suggested earlier. The Texans Rookie pool would not allow us to sign him at the rate he wanted. My next question for those who thought we could sign him. How would the Texans get around the rookie pool to sign him?
Old 05-25-2004   #30
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I think the fact we got a 3rd round choice for what is a QB who's been out of the game for 3 years is quite a deal. The Texan's personnel department is doing what any good NFL team's personnel department should do, and that is accumulating draft picks. The Patriots have done pretty well with respect to accumulating draft picks, and look where it has gotten them. I understand that people are impressed by Henson's collegiate career, but time and time again we see impressive college QBs put up less than impressive NFL numbers. Jeff George, Ryan Leaf, Heath Shuler, Akili Smith, and the list goes on and on. And those guys didn't take 3 years off to play baseball. This isn't an attack on Henson, I hope he has success in Dallas. The point is that he is an unproven QB who had some trade value. A 3rd Round pick for an unproven QB is a pretty good deal for the Texans considering that the Bengals traded away Corey Dillion to the Patriots for a 2nd Round pick. All Dillion did was set the NFL rushing record for yards in a game before Jamal Lewis beat this past season. When you look at it from that perspective the deal looks much better.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004   #31
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominatorDavis
I think that that is not what my intention really entails Zep. I don't care what team it is - Cowboys or Chargers - if there is a good move for the team we should look at it closer. That is all I am saying. Besides we wiped the floor with the Cowboys opening day - there is no complex here. A 3rd for a 6th is a good move no doubt. But we will have to see what that 3rd turns out to be. Having said that, I think that we should have gone to hell and back to sign him. But I think that management felt that they got one over on the NFL for drafting him unexpectedly and that it would look good to trade him and gain position verse actually looking at the proposition of inking a deal. And we had money - millions in fact.

The rookie pool is a predetermined amount that is unrelated to the team's salary cap situation. In order to sign Henson, we would have been unable to sign Joppru or Wand most likely... Also, Henson would be sitting this year even without Carr. Then, in '05 he'd possibly be ready to get some playing time- surely he'd struggle as all QBs without NFL experience do... And at best, he'd be ready to be an asset to this team in '06 or '07- and even then, only as a backup. Carr in year 5 will almost definitely be a better option than a guy who started 9 college games, stopped playing football for three years, and then sat on the NFL bench for a year or two.

Maybe Henson will be a great NFL QB and maybe the Cowboys will benefit from his greatness. A good trade can be good for both teams- it's foolishness to run a team by trying to ripoff other teams. Most NFL trades involve matchmaking. If you want to move a player, you look for a team that could benefit from him and you try and get market value or better and you don't look back.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004   #32
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Henson wasn't going to sign with the Texans under any circumstances other than what he did -- a sign and trade deal.

Last edited by aj.; 05-25-2004 at 06:41 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004   #33
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Henson is an unproven commodity who's been out of the game for a long time--and never really played it at a major-college level for very long. I would LOVE to have him as a "project" backup because I think he has more upside than Ragu, but it was never possible and for that reason it never crossed my mind.

Plus, in order to structure his deal he wanted some funky contract conditions that are rarely ever even proposed in the NFL. For good reason!

We did fine in the deal, although I was hoping they could get that 2nd-rounder Casserly initially demanded. That's part of negotiating, though....
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004   #34
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't have the link, but looking at Dave Ragone college stats to Drew Henson's college stats... They where pretty close, plus Dave had alot more playing time than Drew did

Drew was nothing more than trade bait.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read