Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-17-2004   #21
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
I have been seeing steady progress from him, and he's showing signs of life again !
You have been seeing steady progress because teams have gone into prevent the last 2 weeks since the opposing team has gone up big and dont want to give the big pass plays to AJ...

And bringging his yards per carry average up from 2.8 to 3.0 is really steady progress....

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004   #22
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

And isnt it odd that when any other backs gets around 100 yards in a game, his team wins but when Davis gets around 100 yards, we lose:

vs. Jets - 127 yards - lost
@ Indy - 109 yards - lost
@ Cincy - 104 yards - lost
vs. ATL - 101 yards - win

vs. San Diego - 87 yards - lost
@ Detriot - 78 yards - lost
@ Indy - 98 yards - lost

Record: 1-6 and we gauge a team by its wins...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Old 11-17-2004   #23
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
And isnt it odd that when any other backs gets around 100 yards in a game, his team wins but when Davis gets around 100 yards, we lose:

@ Indy - 98 yards - lost

I think the losses have more to do with us being a young team with holes to fill. If we had a more complete team some of those losses would be wins.
Old 11-17-2004   #24
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

@ Indy - 98 yards - lost

The only thing odd about that is that you would think that in any way reflects upon Davis. I'll even give you San Diego and Detroit as entirely his fault because of the fumbles--of course they really weren't but hey to be generous, but it is ridiculous to put any blame for the losses of 2003 you listed (last I checked DD wasn't out there as a DB at any time in those games) on DD much less the Indy game last week which was a top to bottom butt whoopin where the most defeated Texans unit on the field was the OL.
Old 11-17-2004   #25
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
I think the losses have more to do with us being a young team with holes to fill. If we had a more complete team some of those losses would be wins.
Ok, lets look at this year:
I got these stats after the Vikes game: http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...ead.php?t=3391

vs. San Diego: 87 yards rushing - Lost
@ Detroit: 78 yards - Lost
@ KC: 12 - Win
vs. Oakland: DNP - Win
vs. Minnesota: 31 yards (I broke this game into halfs: Davis got most of his yards in first half and we went down 21-0 and after the half he didnt touch the ball and we scored 28 points to tie the game up and force OT)
@ Tennesse: 25 yards - Win
vs. Jacksonville: 56 yards - Win
@ Denver: 71 yards - Lost
@ Indy: 99 yards - Lost

We have lost all four of his four highest rushing total games...

Old 11-17-2004   #26
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
The only thing odd about that is that you would think that in any way reflects upon Davis. I'll even give you San Diego and Detroit as entirely his fault because of the fumbles--of course they really weren't but hey to be generous, but it is ridiculous to put any blame for the losses of 2003 you listed (last I checked DD wasn't out there as a DB at any time in those games) on DD much less the Indy game last week which was a top to bottom butt whoopin where the most defeated Texans unit on the field was the OL.
Comments on the Indy game: TexansTrueFan is saying that Davis showed improvement in the Indy game, which I could not come to that conclusion since the Colts were in prevent when Davis got most of his yards...

But teams with 100 yard rushers usually win the game (Dont want to look for the exact stat but a quick one: Skins have 3 wins, Portis has had 100 yards in each of those wins), but not during Davis brief career. Teams go into cover 2, say that they will not allow the Texans to pass the ball and say run it with Davis and then they walk away with a 'W'...

Old 11-17-2004   #27
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
All of that means nothing more than the Washington Redskins game as a prediction for the presidential election unless you can explain why. OK chaulk up the SD and Detroit games as lost due to fumbles. So how did his presence cause the Texans to lose the other games you have listed? Or, explain how Wells' 3.3 ypc magically transformed the game from a loss if DD had been in there to a win because he was in at TN.
Old 11-17-2004   #28
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:

In those four games Carr has 2 TD and 6 INTs. Also the defense gave up an average of 33.75 pts in those four games. Yes, now I see that DD was the main reason we lost those games. We need a RB who can throw more TD passes and stop the run.

BTW our RB should also be able to cover Roy Williams.
Old 11-17-2004   #29
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
All of that means nothing more than the Washington Redskins game as a prediction for the presidential election unless you can explain why. OK chaulk up the SD and Detroit games as lost due to fumbles. So how did his presence cause the Texans to lose the other games you have listed? Or, explain how Wells' 3.3 ypc magically transformed the game from a loss if DD had been in there to a win because he was in at TN.
With Davis in the backfield:
Quote:
Teams go into cover 2, say that they will not allow the Texans to pass the ball and say run it with Davis and then they walk away with a 'W'...
Also, Davis is takes away touches for AJ, Gaff, and Bradford when he is in and when the WRs touch the ball we win...

Old 11-17-2004   #30
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Skins have 3 wins, Portis has had 100 yards in each of those wins), but not during Davis brief career.
DD is definitely having a bad year so far, 1st fumbles, then injuries. JMO though, but Portis would be sucking behind the offensive blocking the Texans have had this year so far with the exception of the Oakland game. JMO but I don't think any RB in the league would have made much behind our line last week until the same time period DD did. The OL absolutely sucked.
Old 11-17-2004   #31
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
In those four games Carr has 2 TD and 6 INTs. Also the defense gave up an average of 33.75 pts in those four games. Yes, now I see that DD was the main reason we lost those games. We need a RB who can throw more TD passes and stop the run.

BTW our RB should also be able to cover Roy Williams.
Lets get one thing: I am not saying that DD was the reason for the lost at Indy, I was just telling that Davis got his yards in that game because the team went into prevent.

Our running back shouldnt have 2 fumbles to give Roy Williams 2 extra chances...

Old 11-17-2004   #32
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Also, Davis is takes away touches for AJ, Gaff, and Bradford when he is in and when the WRs touch the ball we win...
If you are talking about running too much, it isn't a RB specific problem, you need to be complaining about the coaches on that one. If it is a receiving to much comment, then you need to be complaining about Carr because he has said virtually every reception Davis has is a check down, i.e. he called it rather than get it to the WR. You don't get rid of a RB because your QB is too comfortable with him as a multitalented player, you counsel the QB better.
Old 11-17-2004   #33
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
If you are talking about running too much, it isn't a RB specific problem, you need to be complaining about the coaches on that one. If it is a receiving to much comment, then you need to be complaining about Carr because he has said virtually every reception Davis has is a check down, i.e. he called it rather than get it to the WR. You don't get rid of a RB because your QB is too comfortable with him as a multitalented player, you counsel the QB better.
I am not talking about running the ball too much. I think our coaches get a great mix of run and pass. I agree with counseling the QB but you can also take the approach of someone addicted to something. How do you stop a person addicted to something like crack??? You take it away from him, let him go through a withdrawal period and then he wont use it (I know its a little more complicated than that, but that is the jest of it). The offense was so smooth in the 2nd half of the Vikes game and the entire Raider game because Carr was FORCED to go to other places with the ball, I would rather we counsel him but a withdrawal period seems to work....

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read