Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-14-2004   #21
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
You just can't take a sentence out of context and state someone's disposition on a different subject.
Hey that's what I do for i living
ArlingtonTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004   #22
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Wand had a bad first quarter and after that he started to catch on to Feeney's speed and did a much better job of running him deep or stuffing him at the line when he came straight in. Not perfect, but not bad for what amounts to a rookie. On the other side a whole nother story. Never seemed to get a handle on that one. Just not enough quickness to deal with the rush. Not sure how Wade would have done, but I expect it would have been better. Middle seemed to be getting pushed back regularly and winding up in Carrs lap. The only time he had time to see the field was when he rolled out. Had to bring back images of year one.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004   #23
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, Wand did a much better job on Freeney than Bryant McKinnie did last week. So, if you want to judge his development that way, he's well ahead of a top 5 pick from 3 years ago. I'm much more alarmed by the fact that Spears was a nightmare and the interior line was getting manhandled all day long. Regardless of the circumstances, if a first year starter at left tackle is going against Freeney on artificial turf and gives up 3 QB pressures and three tackles, he wasn't the problem.
dalemurphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004   #24
phan1
All Pro

Quote:
As a pass blocker, Wand has a great base. Watch how he can bend at the knees and hips to maintain is balance like a much smaller man. Many tall 330 pounders are stiff and Herman Munster-like when they move. He may struggle against Freeney as much as any NFL lineman could but I am not worried about Wand being a good decision. From what I see he was an excellent pick when you look at the Tackle position in his draft class.

I'm not arguing your point AT, just expanding on it.

Here are all the first day Tackles in the 2003 NFL Draft...

First round
Jordan Gross Panthers - Gross was a top ten pick and struggles at Left Tackle.
George Foster Broncos Georgia - Mr Ankle-breaker. Solid young player, rarely on the active roster his first year.
Kwame Harris 49ers Stanford - Plays behind someone named Kyle Kosier

Second round
Jonathan Stinchcomb Saints - Georgia - Don't know much about his development but plays behind Wayne Gandy. Gandy is still a solid NFL Tackle.

Third round
Wayne Hunter Seahawks - Plays behind Chris Terry
Seth Wand Texans Northwest Missouri State
Wade Smith Dolphins - Solid player. A Chester Pitts clone @ LT. Not sure if he still starts.
Nice stats. I guess that means we should look for Olineman in free agency and not the draft?
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004   #25
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by phan1
Nice stats. I guess that means we should look for Olineman in free agency and not the draft?
Everyone that thinks a rookie lineman is going to come in and 'fix' this line doesn't realize that it is fairly rare for a rookie to come in and start immediately (unless he is a top 5-10 pick...that we likely don't get, or we have pure scrubs starting). The offensive line takes the most time of all the position groups to play well as a unit. As our current group of guys play together they will get better. It's just that most fans have zero patience.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004   #26
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy
Well, Wand did a much better job on Freeney than Bryant McKinnie did last week. So, if you want to judge his development that way, he's well ahead of a top 5 pick from 3 years ago. I'm much more alarmed by the fact that Spears was a nightmare and the interior line was getting manhandled all day long. Regardless of the circumstances, if a first year starter at left tackle is going against Freeney on artificial turf and gives up 3 QB pressures and three tackles, he wasn't the problem.

The above quote says it all ...... McKinnie (who I'm sure everyone in Houston would take over Wand in a heartbeat) was helpless against Freeney's speed .... Wand did a decent job all things considered ....
chuckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004   #27
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Wand didn't have his best game yesterday, granted. But I think he has done better than everyone expected for the year so far. Remember the first year, how many sacks did Pitts give up, and then look at the improvement the next year. Give Wand some time, he has done OK this year, and will be that much better the next time we play the colts, and even better than that the next year.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004   #28
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Coast Playa
id give wand a F-. quickness is deadly. id give the whole team a F- for getting humiliated for the second weekend in a row.

D i'm still crying man,,,what a lousy performance, makes me never wanna watch another texans game again !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004   #29
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Wand was a 3rd round investment for us and we got value received for value
paid. Wade, the RT, was not - we shelled out 10M cash bonus which is an unreal sum for a RT who was not rated that highly amoung his peers.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004   #30
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Wade has done a good job here. It sure beats the journeymen we had here before. I assume you know where we could have picked up a better player cheaper?
Old 11-15-2004   #31
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wade has done a good job here. It sure beats the journeymen we had here before. I assume you know where we could have picked up a better player cheaper?
Yes he's done a good job here. Yes he beats his predecessor. And I would have put Weigert @ RT(our origional plan for him), before shelling out a 10M bonus to Wade in free agency. If you don't manage cap, you end up with
inferior personnel to your competition.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004   #32
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Weigert is not a very good Tackle. He gets abused in space. He is a much better Guard than a Tackle. The Texans had a need on the line and they went to take care of it with the best RT on the market. Wade is not going to cause us any cap problems. I have a hard time knocking this team for shoring up a need position with one of the top FA's on the market.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read