Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-10-2004   #61
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

If it was really that big of a deal, why was he not disciplined by the Colts or the NFL? Do you think the Colts and the NFL would ALLOW him to breach his contract and then come back like nothing happened?
Old 11-10-2004   #62
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
If it was really that big of a deal, why was he not disciplined by the Colts or the NFL? Do you think the Colts and the NFL would ALLOW him to breach his contract and then come back like nothing happened?
The Colts did fine him $5,000 a day.
Old 11-10-2004   #63
kuno
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
this is a what have you done for me lately league...you gotta realize that...and the runningback is most times the first position to get this...he did great his rookie year...this year he's flat out stunk it up...avg. 2.8 yds a carry that's pathetic...fumbling about as much as he is scoring that's sad...he's lost a step if you ask me...with the possible FA at the runningback position...i can tell you that indy will keep james and continue to let their defense rot away...seattle will keep alexander...out of henry, rudi, jordon, and davis...i would take henry...but i'm not saying that's the best choice for us...the best choice for us is the draft ronnie brown out of auburn...flat out in my mind he is the best runningback in the nation...if you think davis is a franchise runningback please take a step back...take a deep breathe and look at the position from a non-texan fan's point of view...granted i want to see him get back to his old self and make me eat my words...i really do...as a fan i want to see him succeed...but realistically the texans need to draft an-every down back who can stay healthy throughout the entire season

remember that before this season started the one worry on everyones mind was can davis make it through the season...that question has been answered with a huge no
RB's do suffer from the Sophmore blues more than anyone else it seems.
kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004   #64
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i'm confused on this whole blame the o-line bit...this is the same o-line we had last year the additions of wade at RT and wand at LT with pitts moving to LG...does anyone care to argue that this line is worse that the line last year?...cause if you do you clearly haven't been watching the same games i have...as for holes to run through why can Wells get a 100+ yds a game and DD can't?...Wells who we all critized after the first year as not being able to get it done has been doing just so this season...and is argueably our best runner on the team
Old 11-11-2004   #65
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

ok 1st of all wells had 1 100 yrd game,,, not to impressive,,, second we might have the same line with a few additions but were not blocking the same way,,,yeah the zone blocking scheme ! Ok portis was great in Denver went to Washington his first game was good, and than he was in like a 6 week slump ! Davis's last performance against Denver wasnt so bad i say give him to the end of the year before ya make any evaluations, and the line can take partial blame for the running game, and 4 sacks given up against Denver thats some strange improvment !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004   #66
georgewashington
Veteran

Exactly, its a combination of the two, not only has the run blocking been bad, but hopefully they arent slipping back into the get david carr sacked 40 times a season mode. And i agree that from what i have seen wells has been more productive, but he hasnt been given as many chances as davis. Either way neither one of them is a true feature back, but i would rather see wells in there right now.
georgewashington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004   #67
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

i dont know about wells in there, during the Broncos game i saw Davis running like he did last year, and he seemed more productive than he was earlier this season ! If he can just get his YPC up to around 4 yards now !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004   #68
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

If our running game is clicking, I would like to see us stick to it a little more. After we got within 3 this last game we almost abandoned the whole running game all together.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004   #69
Doug
All Pro

My problem is the whole Davis can't hold up and keeps getting hurt deal....Does anybody else watch sports news, or maybe I'm the only one who's taken notice of the fact that a ton of running backs are getting hurt this season...Stephen Davis, Priest Holmes, Edge, Travis Henry, Deuce Staley, Fred Taylor, Cris Brown, Tatum Bell.......I could go on. We should feel lucky that he gets a little banged up and hasn't been seriously hurt. The guy comes in and runs for over 1000 yds in what 13 games? The next season we throw a completely different blocking scheme at the offensive line and they don't seem to execute...For those of you who say well it's dd and not the line, maybe you need to watch a few of the games a bit more.....I've seen dd getting hit in the backfield ten times more than last year and that's definitely not his fault that he's taking one step and getting wrapped up. My personal opinion after last year was if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I would like to see how things would be had we not changed up the scheme. For the person who said wells hasn't gotten any chances after his 100+ yard game....He had the whole first season to prove something and now if he can't straighten his arse up on special teams why would I want him running for me? Davis did have a problem with fumbling at the beginning of the year but shoulda, woulda, coulda it's over and we all need to move on. At some point and time every running back goes through a funk, it's just his came alot sooner than expected. Our running game isn't where we would like it to be but I feel we have three very capable backs...any one of them could produce for 100 yards in a game if the blocks are executed in the fashion their meant to be. Holy **** this is looking like an editorial. Well just wanted to put my two cents in. I like dd, wells and hollings but the offensive line does need to be looked at before we point our fingers at the running backs, whether it be any one of them.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004   #70
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default on Dom and being injured

doug,

Question: Ever work with some who is a good person and works well , but always has something going on (legitimately) from kids with the flu, car problems, etc, frustrating as heck...part dependability in sports is the ability to line-up and play at close enough to full strength to do your job...Unfortunately, Davis has all or portions of at least 3 if not 4 regular season games and has really looked healthy enough to perform at a top level maybe 2 of the remaining games. yeah, staying healthy in the NFL for a RB is tough, but it is Davis job to do so.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004   #71
Doug
All Pro

That makes no sense to me. Maybe I'm an *****.....Please emphasize. What I got out of it was it's Davis' job to stay healthy? Let me know if I'm getting it before I comment any further.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004   #72
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
That makes no sense to me. Maybe I'm an *****.....Please emphasize. What I got out of it was it's Davis' job to stay healthy? Let me know if I'm getting it before I comment any further.
Yeah, pretty much. It's a part of the deal. He is not a solid big time running back to begin with and on top of that he can't stay on the field.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004   #73
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
My problem is the whole Davis can't hold up and keeps getting hurt deal....Does anybody else watch sports news, or maybe I'm the only one who's taken notice of the fact that a ton of running backs are getting hurt this season...Stephen Davis, Priest Holmes, Edge, Travis Henry, Deuce Staley, Fred Taylor, Cris Brown, Tatum Bell
Stephen Davis had 1500 yards last year. Holmes is a TD machine. Edge has led the league in rushhing. Staley has led his team to one of the best records in football. Fred Taylor has made 30 consecutive starts and averages 5 yards a carry. Chris Brown leads the league in runs over 20.

Davis playing hurt, doesnt help the team. He has played hurt most of the season and is averaging 3 yards a carry. Not effective...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004   #74
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I did not even mean imply that it is really fair, but part of judging a RB is his ability to stay healthy even though a good portion of injuries bad luck/not the RBs fault.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read