Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-06-2004   #21
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
I'm sure you guys are right, but I always thought the immediate pass to a receiver (like Johnson) was called a quick out, as in quick pass to the wide-out, or quick out pass. Same thing or what?
A quick out (route) is where the WR drives straight downfield 5-15 yards and makes a sharp cut to the sideline.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004   #22
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 4615 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

The slant and hitch have worked well for us but I would like to see one play when we know the defense is looking for it and fake the hitch and then hit Gafney on the other side down field.
Old 11-06-2004   #23
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 25944 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
..I always thought the immediate pass to a receiver (like Johnson) was called a quick out...
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
A quick out (route) is where the WR drives straight downfield 5-15 yards and makes a sharp cut to the sideline.
AJ, I think this is more properly just called an "out pattern" and represents an intermediate route. A "quick out" is a short pattern designed to pick up a crucial 2 to 5 yds and the receiver steps out of bounds to stop the clock. If the situation allows, the receiver can tightwalk the sideline to pick up extra yards before stepping out of bounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
...I always thought a hitch was a comeback route...
I think what you may be thinking of here is a "hook pattern", an intermediate route of about 10 to 15 yards. The receiver comes to a complete stop and turns 180 degrees. Ideally, the ball reaches the receiver almost immediately after his turn. If it doesn't, he may come back toward the line of scrimmage a step or two.

From Vinny's diagram of the hitch pass, you will see the position the receiver is in to catch the ball. This is a much easier pass to complete than the quick out, where the catch is made over the shoulder or the receiver twists his body to get his hands into position. Also, as it is slightly shorter, it is a more quickly developing play.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004   #24
Doug
All Pro

I'm learning more everyday....My impression of it was more of a hot route.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004   #25
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm sure you guys are right, but I always thought the immediate pass to a receiver (like Johnson) was called a quick out, as in quick pass to the wide-out, or quick out pass. Same thing or what?
A hitch is a pattern where the WR turns back towards the QB and comes to meet the ball, shoulders facing the QB. It can be run at any distance, including zero yards, as the Carr to AJ route is run. You can call it a quick out, though an out is thrown to the sideline with the receivers shoulders away from the QB.

FWIW, the Texans can it the "Now" pattern.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read