Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-27-2004   #81
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

The problem is their is too much focus on the running game when Davis is in. I don't have a doubt in my mind Davis is the better RB, but the offense needs focus around the passing game and our extremely talented and deep group of WRs. Spread out those LBers and back up the Safeties a little and Davis will have a field day.

Also don't forget the zone blocking is steadily improving with experience, so those first two games are hard to compare with the last couple. I think this weekend will be really telling as to how much the line has progressed and which back can really get it done.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004   #82
phan1
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin269
The problem is their is too much focus on the running game when Davis is in. I don't have a doubt in my mind Davis is the better RB, but the offense needs focus around the passing game and our extremely talented and deep group of WRs. Spread out those LBers and back up the Safeties a little and Davis will have a field day.

Also don't forget the zone blocking is steadily improving with experience, so those first two games are hard to compare with the last couple. I think this weekend will be really telling as to how much the line has progressed and which back can really get it done.
I agree that when DD is in there everyone focuses on him, and that's why the running game had been difficult. But also, DD IS THE BETTER BACK. Watch the film! If you watch Wells hit the hole and then DD hit the hole, the difference is like night and day. No one on our team hits the hole quicker and stronger than DD, but the fact is, nothing opens up for him! I contribute that to 1) Oline is not doing very good and 2) we're being way too predictable on offense. Right now, I can tell you the first play we are going to run: Ace formation, run in-between the tackles. We have got to be less predictable and the Oline has got to open up some holes. I think Wells is doing better because the D doesn't consider him to be a great threat. He'll pick up some yards, but he will be contained with a minimal amount of effort. Oline had got to step it up, because I don't believe that its DD's fault! Like I said, look at tape and tell me that DD is not as Wells. You are fooling yourself.

However, I do believe in benching him if he fumbles. We can win with Wells, we can't win if DD fumbles. Unfortunatley, all 3 of our backs have had a tendency to fumble the ball.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004   #83
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by phan1
2) we're being way too predictable on offense. Right now, I can tell you the first play we are going to run: Ace formation, run in-between the tackles.
Well then you would be right half of the time:

Games with 1st play runs:
San Diego, Detroit, Tennessee

Games with 1st play passes:
KC, Oakland, Minnesota

But I agree with your first point, the main problem with our run game is inconsistancy by the OL.
Old 10-31-2004   #84
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Bump Just bumping this post since it seems like some people are starting to agree there is a problem with Davis.
Old 11-01-2004   #85
eric138
Veteran

Rep Power: 985 eric138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respected

Game 8 vs. Jaguars, Davis starts, 95 total yards, 2 fumbles, a kick return from Wells, Texans win 20-6

Bigger look at the game:

Wells, Rushing 4 for 2yrds, Receiving 2 for 7 yards, oh and Kick return 1 for 9 yards

DD, Rushing 22 for 56 yrds, Receiving 5 for 39 yards

Shoot, Chad Stanley rushed once for 3 yards more than Wells..

I'm not saying Wells sucks, but he cannot compare to DD.. I think his recent success was due to the opposing defense not expecting him..
eric138 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read