Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-25-2006   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Chronic: Kubiak 'disappointed' with Williams' performance

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4213557.html

Quote:
“I was disappointed in his play,” Kubiak said about Williams. “There were some communication issues, and we’ll get it corrected.

“He’d done some good things but not this week. He knows I’m disappointed in his play.”

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #2
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1965 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Go to the horses mouth so to speak this from Kubiak Monday presser
September 25, 2006 HoustonTexans.com

(on DE Mario William’s game) “I was disappointed in his play. I was disappointed in the way he played. There were some communication issues that we have to get corrected with him and what we’re expecting him to do in some certain situations. And we’ll get those corrected. But he’s done some things and progressed and dome some things, but he did not do that this week. And I’m expecting him to bounce back this coming week and become the type of player we want him to become. I don’t want to pin that all on him. I don’t want y’all to take it that way, but he knows I was disappointed in his play. And he has to play better.”

(on whether Mario Williams’ mistakes were physical or mental) “I was just disappointed. I don’t wan to pin it in one area, but I was disappointed overall.”
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

<insert captain obvious picture"

What did you expect? For him to say how impressed he was with him?
Old 09-25-2006   #4
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
<insert captain obvious picture"

What did you expect? For him to say how impressed he was with him?

I cannot recall the coaches from the previous regime ever expressing concern about any individual player.

It was always "we failed to execute".

Now..is naming names a good thing...calling a player out, so to speak...a good thing?

One things for certain though..the status quo isn't working.

Old 09-25-2006   #5
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

News Flash. Kubiak has eyes.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #6
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
I cannot recall the coaches from the previous regime ever expressing concern about any individual player.

He said the rest of the defense was playing bad as well during his show on 610.

For instance
Q: Is Mario Williams playing like you hoped he would?
A: No he's not...and neither is anybody else.

It seemed like he made a point of calling out the entire defense when asked about Mario.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #7
JDizzle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3602 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Kind of hard to turn a turd into a chocolate truffle.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-25-2006   #8
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post

Now..is naming names a good thing...calling a player out, so to speak...a good thing?

One things for certain though..the status quo isn't working.

I don't like 'naming names' and questioned it from the beginning when Kubiak was doing it in training camp. I like the way Belechik does it--'bad' stuff gets the 'we' label but he will recognize an individual player for good play.

I'm also concerned with the same 'rhetoric' being carried from week to week--'we've got to get better'/'we'll get there'/'we've got to play 4 qtrs'/'we tried everything,' etc. Like Caper's 'execute' quote every week, it becomes obvious after awhile that 'someone' doesn't have a clue how to fix/solve the problem.

IMO, though, the 'calling out' of players for 'poor' performances could back fire on Gary and lead to 'dissension' among the players--if it's bad, keep it in the house/if it's good, tell the whole world.
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #9
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think Kubiak bashed him or called him out. They asked a question about Mario and Kubiak answered it honestly. There's nothing wrong with that he didn't go out of his way to point out his disappointment with Williams. I'm sure Kubiak didn't say anything to the media that he didn't say to Mario himself beforehand. He mentioned that Williams knew that he was disappointed in him. Nothing wrong with that IMO.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #10
wrestler4life
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip View Post
I don't like 'naming names' and questioned it from the beginning when Kubiak was doing it in training camp. I like the way Belechik does it--'bad' stuff gets the 'we' label but he will recognize an individual player for good play.

I'm also concerned with the same 'rhetoric' being carried from week to week--'we've got to get better'/'we'll get there'/'we've got to play 4 qtrs'/'we tried everything,' etc. Like Caper's 'execute' quote every week, it becomes obvious after awhile that 'someone' doesn't have a clue how to fix/solve the problem.

IMO, though, the 'calling out' of players for 'poor' performances could back fire on Gary and lead to 'dissension' among the players--if it's bad, keep it in the house/if it's good, tell the whole world.
I think that he felt when he took the job that he had been around the league enough and seen enough that he felt he could fix what was wrong with us.
I think that he has hit a wall he can't see around or over, and has no idea what to do.
Old 09-25-2006   #11
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip View Post

I mentioned this very concern during training camp and preseason. He's a very good coach, but his first rodeo as a head coach. It is indeed very refreshing for us fans to hear him call out his players for poor play. We like it because we perceive, through those comments, that hew shares the same frustrations and aggravations as we do.

But he is NOT a fan. He is the head coach. And as the head coach, he'll will probably learn some hard lessons on what, and what not, to say to the media regarding the players during hard times.

Say what you want about Capers. We all got tired of the "we didn't execute" lines that he threw at us all the time. But he never, never called out his players in public. He had been around the block enough times to know better.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #12
RDillon
Rookie

Please give the man a chance afterall hes new to the NFL. Yes those old farts hit hard too.
RDillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #13
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

I applaud Kubiak for being honest in his observation. It's a whole lot better than the constant flow of 'coachspeak' that Capers and many other coaches use. Mario was picked by Kubiak too so I like the fact that he isn't afraid to criticize 'his guy' in fear of making himself and his choices look bad.

The fact is, the organization has major egg on its face presently and they really need to do everything they can to get Mario to start producing. That being said, I am not talking about instant results. We need Mario to start improving so that by the time next season starts the defense starts improving and then we can further improve it via Free Agency (lots of cap space) and draft (looks like another Top 10 pick for sure). I love my Texans and we need to remember the year the Oilers started 1-3...and finished 13-3. I know, I know, we dont have a quarter of the talent that team had, but we do need to stay positive because its in all our interests to support Kubiak and his attempt to overhaul this debacle of a franchise.

Doug From The Woodlands

-- That sound you don't hear, is Asserley's phone not ringing. --
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #14
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Texans head coach Gary Kubiak had only one word to describe the play of his team, and it was the first word that came to mind when he was asked on Monday to describe the play of his first overall pick, defensive end Mario Williams.

Disappointed.

"I was disappointed in his play," Kubiak said of Williams. "And I’m expecting him to bounce back this coming week and become the type of player we want him to become. I don’t want to pin that all on him. I don’t want y’all to take it that way, but he knows I was disappointed in his play."

His disappointment spread beyond Williams to his team as a whole, but as a rookie head coach with responsibility for an NFL defense for the first time in his career, Kubiak knows he needs to give the unit more of his focus in the coming weeks.

"I’m not going to lie, I spend more time with the offensive side of the ball," Kubiak said. "I spent a lot of time with (defensive coordinator) Richard (Smith) and the defense today. I have to sit there and evaluate what they’re doing and how we’re doing it and who they’re doing it with."

It is tough talk following an even tougher early lesson for Kubiak and his team, but he didn't anticipate any sweeping changes in the personnel, at least not in the short-term.

"The only people that are going to change things around here are the ones that are doing it right now on a day to day basis, and they’re going to have to step to the plate and just do it better."
http://www.houstonprofootball.com/
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #15
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1965 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak did not get asked "How is the defense looking" and respond" Well Mario is disappointing."

No he was asked about how he thought Mario was doing. So he answered he is disappointed in his play. He added Mario knows I am disappointed. That is all. It is ok for the coach to light a fire under a player, especially a 1st rounder, he did it with Travis Johnson, and he has looked better.

Mario appears to me to not be taking the coaching they are giving him and using it on the field. He stands straight up, and guesses at a hole and goes there. He is making the OTs and TE look good. Is he getting held, yes, but OLs can hold inside the shoulders. The DL has moves to counter the holding and he has been slow to even try a move.

Mario is strong, no doubt about that, but he is showing very little football savvy. They may need to get him a tutor, might be time to get Bruce Smith a plane ticket and a check to work with the rookie.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #16
Texans86
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post

Mario is strong, no doubt about that, but he is showing very little football savvy. They may need to get him a tutor, might be time to get Bruce Smith a plane ticket and a check to work with the rookie.
Was it Bruce Smith on NFL Network that said he would love to come and give Mario some tips soon after the draft. If it was, we need to take him up on the offer. He needs some help right now.
Old 09-26-2006   #17
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey, Coach Kubiak better watch out. He might be accused of being a VY or Bush fan on this board. Doesn't he know saying negative things about Sorryo is strictly forbidden.
Old 09-26-2006   #18
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans86 View Post
Was it Bruce Smith on NFL Network that said he would love to come and give Mario some tips soon after the draft. If it was, we need to take him up on the offer. He needs some help right now.
Did he need some help signing that contract he signed? This is no slight on you or your post so please don't take it that way but I have a serious problem with that. It's too early to tell if Sorryo is a stud or bust, so i'm giving him the benefit of the doubt right now. But I have a HUGE problem when players don't live up to their contract when measured against their play on the field. Maybe that's just me.
Old 09-26-2006   #19
Texans86
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbourda View Post
Did he need some help signing that contract he signed? This is no slight on you or your post so please don't take it that way but I have a serious problem with that. It's too early to tell if Sorryo is a stud or bust, so i'm giving him the benefit of the doubt right now. But I have a HUGE problem when players don't live up to their contract when measured against their play on the field. Maybe that's just me.
I don't take any personal offense. It's a valid statement and opinion, but I posted on another thread that technique can be taught, physical skills cannot. A coach can yell at a player all he wants, but he'll never make that player grow any taller. I strongly believe that M.Williams will learn the techniques needed in this league, and his raw physical talent will make him a terror for opposing offenses. Do I wish he already knew the techniques? Of course. Do I think he will learn them quickly and begin to use them in games? You bet. Will M.Williams get better? Yes.

He's shown flashes, just like D.Rob, Tr.Johnson and the rest of our key players, but eventually they will all have to put it together for our team to be successful.
Old 09-26-2006   #20
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

i love the way the fans were all 'for once the players will be individually acountable' in the off-season....but now that kubiaks following through on it, people are saying he's wrong....

some of you crack me up sometimes...damned if you do, damned if you dont

edit: he didnt specifically pick on mario..he was asked about mario's play last sunday and after praising him some for his earlier performances says he was 'disappointed' with his play v the skins...not exactly the fierce calling out some of you are making it out to be
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read