Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-30-2004   #21
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

McKinney has matchup problems most weeks. He is a relative lightweight and he gets hammered on a regular basis. He is the weak link in the OL IMO (when Wiegert, Pitts, Wade and Wand are in there). When Weary lines up next to Steve it's downright frightening. In other words, I've been seeing some of the same things sensei is seeing for a while now.

Last edited by aj.; 09-30-2004 at 09:32 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004   #22
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

While we're on a 'W' theme on the line, why not give Washington a shot at Center when McKinney is getting tossed around. Washington is no lightweight. I thought he filled in well for McKinney last year when needed. I guess others don't feel the same.
The height/weight stats on the roster list lie... McKinney is not 6'4" and over 300 lbs.
Washington is both taller and heavier.
This statement comes from standing beside both and sizing them up ...
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004   #23
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Sassy, you are not alone. Washington seemed to do a better job at center than he has done at guard. Now that may be that he is just not as much of a step down from McKinney as he is from Weigert.
Old 10-01-2004   #24
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
why not give Washington a shot at Center when McKinney is getting tossed around
The coaches must see something that we don't because it is evidently not an option to them. McKinney and his finesse style are more suited for guard in my opinion. But, the problem is, I don't think he could replace Weigert or Pitts.
Old 10-01-2004   #25
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

I would have also thought that the zone blocking would be a benefit to McKinney. Do you think he is having trouble picking up the system?
Old 10-01-2004   #26
sensei
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance_C
I would have also thought that the zone blocking would be a benefit to McKinney. Do you think he is having trouble picking up the system?
From looking at the tapes it doesn't appear to be that. He is just getting manhandled.

Also It seems most of the damage is being done by the backside pursuit on running plays. I don't know if our guys are just too slow making a decision about where to run or if the bad guys are closing the hole too fast.

On pass plays they are just flat out whipping our butts. They are blowing right through O-line. Like I said before. through Mckinney or Weary.

I just watched the tape again and it is worse and more obvious the second time through.

I think we need to reconsider the center position. Mckinney may be an adequate backup but he is not starter material there.

I hate that as he is a local boy from this area. I see him around here all the time. He is very friendly and always speaks, etc.

sensei
sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004   #27
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

When we got Washington I was very happy, because he came from a SB team and had played Center for them most if not all of the season. When he has played for us he has been a constant plus. Center is his natural position. Again you start scratching your head as to why we our not using him, particularly since he is bigger and taller than McKinney. Wiegert to me is the great mystry. When he plays he seems to be quiet good, but he seems to have all kinds of injury and health problems. I have a gut feeling our O-line would be a whole lot better with these two gentlemen playing. Vinny in affect has stated it very well, if the QB has no pocket to step up and into, then you need a Fran Tarkington, not a David Carr.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004   #28
BWPaint
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwwillis
I think McKinney had matchup problems last week. Im not a name or stats man but as I recall he was trying to stop one of the premier nose tackles in the league who had him out weighed by 50 plus lbs. He wont draw that kind of assignment every week.
Your definately right .... he won't draw anyone 50 lbs more than him this week....MORE LIKE 150 LBS MORE!

This may be McKinney last game as a starter....he is getting blown away every game this year....he is just horrible. And I hate to say that about a fellow Texas Boy....but he isn't cutting it....he needs to go.

The Texans better concentrate the next draft on Line Help and in a BIG way. It takes too long to develop a decent lineman....if the next 2 drafts have any depth at line coming out....they better draft 4-7 lineman each draft for both sides the ball.

It all starts up front...on both sides the ball. Without better lines....we will be grasping for .500 for the next 5 years!!!

Get with it Caserly.....you best get some lineman in here for the future, or the stadium will not be sold out each of the next few years......the honeymoon is just about over.
BWPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004   #29
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

I agree, we need lineman in a bad way, unless we pick one up in free agency, which i would rather do for the offensive line, although i believe you dont sign free agent interior lineman because they are too expensive. Jeno James and even Damien Woody as good as they are don't warrant the contracts they got. someone can be drafted and pluged in at a much cheaper price. at Tackle i dont feel bad going after a free agent.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004   #30
Aussie
Rookie

exactly McKinney was the only capable lineman all Yr last season.
soo many of you are very impatient to star winning and when we dont you look for a scapegoat??? even DD gets alot of bull**** negative threads bout him?
Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004   #31
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

Sorry guys, couldn't help myself ... had to post ..

JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004   #32
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95473 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
I don't like all this Mckinney hate! No way we would replace him as a starter this early. It's a loyalty thing. Remember....for the last two years...when everybody was sucking and Mckinney was the only reliable lineman we had? Remember?

I thought so

:hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

He is a good lineman, we just need him to stand his ground. He better do it soon.
It's a loyalty thing??

How 'bout 'what have you done for me lately?'. And lately, McKinney ain't doing what Larry the Cable Guy is telling him to do.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004   #33
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I thought the OLine performed pretty well today. They protected Carr pretty well, and provided some running room for Wells. Guess they're finally coming together as a unit, or the coaches spent time working on the problems they had early on.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004   #34
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95473 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree. They played extremely well.

What's more important and more revealing . . . is that that have the talent to do well, and they need some time to jell. . . and they are improving.

Carr had some time to throw today. And I liked what I saw when he had time to throw.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read