Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2004   #21
Bill's/TexanFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
The "Tony Hollings pick" originated from a Texans' 3rd (83rd overall) and 7th round pick (262nd overall) in 2003.
Your sure about that huh? Let me ask you in this manner. How many 3rd selections did the Texans have in 2003?
Old 09-30-2004   #22
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Your sure about that huh?
Yes, I'm sure.

Quote:
How many 3rd selections did the Texans have in 2003?
Going into the draft, the Texans had three 3rd round selections (#67, #83, and #88).

In the 2nd round of the 2003 draft, the Texans traded their 36th overall and a 4th rounder to New England in exchange for New England's 2nd rounder (41st overall - the Joppru pick) and NE's 3rd rounder (75th overall). In other words, the Texans moved down five spots in the 2nd round to select Joppru and pick up another 3rd rounder. The Pats selected Eugene Wilson with the 36th they acquired from the Texans. He is now their starting FS.

So after the trade with NE, the Texans had four 3rd round selections [67, 75 (from NE), 83, and 88].

They used #67 to take Peek, #75 to take Wand and #88 to take Ragone.

As I said before, in the third round the Texans traded pick #83 along with a 7th rounder to Oakland for the Raiders' 2004 2nd round pick. That 2nd rounder was ultimately used to select Hollings.

Any more questions?

Last edited by aj.; 09-30-2004 at 07:42 AM.
Old 09-30-2004   #23
Bill's/TexanFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Yes, I'm sure.

Going into the draft, the Texans had three 3rd round selections (#67, #83, and #88).

In the 2nd round of the 2003 draft, the Texans traded their 36th overall and a 4th rounder to New England in exchange for New England's 2nd rounder (41st overall - the Joppru pick) and NE's 3rd rounder (75th overall). In other words, the Texans moved down five spots in the 2nd round to select Joppru and pick up another 3rd rounder. The Pats selected Eugene Wilson with the 36th they acquired from the Texans. He is now their starting FS.

So after the trade with NE, the Texans had four 3rd round selections [67, 75 (from NE), 83, and 88].

They used #67 to take Peek, #75 to take Wand and #88 to take Ragone.

As I said before, in the third round the Texans traded pick #83 along with a 7th rounder to Oakland for the Raiders' 2004 2nd round pick. That 2nd rounder was ultimately used to select Hollings.

Any more questions?
I thank you for that very "detailed" report on the Texans 2003 draft. But here is what you are missing......Regardless of the trades which were made, RB Tony Holling WAS selected with a second (2nd) round draft selection! In an earlier post you said he was a third (3rd) rounder.....and as you have now made clear for other readers......he was not!
Old 09-30-2004   #24
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill's/TexanFan
By the way....when I said linger I did not say in the 2nd round.....I said 3rd. If you want to quote me at least get it right!
Try reading a little more closely--the linger into the second comment was about Willis McGahee. Your 3rd comment about Joppru was quoted correctly above.

PS--your original dispute over Hollings draft round was with Mistral not aj.
Old 09-30-2004   #25
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
RB Tony Holling WAS selected with a second (2nd) round draft selection!
Uh... I know we used a 2nd round pick on Hollings. That's fairly common knowledge and exactly what I said in my last post -- a detail that you obviously missed.

I'll repeat what I said here again: "... in the third round the Texans traded pick #83 along with a 7th rounder to Oakland for the Raiders' 2004 2nd round pick. That 2nd rounder was ultimately used to select Hollings."

Quote:
In an earlier post you said he was a third (3rd) rounder.....and as you have now made clear for other readers......he was not
Where did I say anything about Hollings being a 3rd rounder? You need to take that up with Mistral.

I don't know this for a fact but looking at the way he composed that post, I think Mistral was attempting to highlight the fact that one of those 3rds in 2003 was used to get Hollings.

Again, the Hollings pick -- ultimately a 2nd rounder in 2004 -- "originated from..." a 3rd and a 7th in 2003.

Like infantry said, try reading more carefully so we don't have to post this stuff over and over again.

Last edited by aj.; 09-30-2004 at 02:02 PM.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read