Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-26-2004   #1
God of Wine

Talking 1984 Oilers

This game brought back memories of when the Oilers started 0-10, went in to KC and beat them 17-16(I think), I just remember having a quick pass(just like the one to Armstrong) being the play to set up the game winning field goal. Same camera angle and everything. Anyone else remember??

Last edited by God of Wine; 09-26-2004 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-27-2004   #2
swisher
Old School

Rep Power: 669 swisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respected

A little before my time. My memories of the Chiefs are of Moon throwing for 500 something yards (good) and the last playoff game in Oiler history when the Montana led Chiefs beat us (bad). That touchdown where the guy threw the ball at Buddy Ryan's banner....still have that etched into my brain.
swisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004   #3
Txn_in_FL
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 33753 Txn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respected

Oilers? Who are the Oilers?

Txn_in_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004   #4
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Any team that uses a prevent defense to blow a playoff game that they led 34-3 in the third quarter doesn't belong in Houston. They should go someplace that doesn't matter--like Tennessee, lol.
HJam72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004   #5
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

There's that "O" word again. <shudder>

I hate that word now.
Old 09-28-2004   #6
swisher
Old School

Rep Power: 669 swisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respected

From houstonprofootball.com

November 11, 1984: K Joe Cooper's 44-yard field goal snaps Houston's 23-game road losing streak, the longest such drought in NFL history. The game also marks the first NFL victory for Warren Moon, who had been a dismal 0-10 since signing with the Oilers.

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/dream/week17.html

Old 09-28-2004   #7
Txn_in_FL
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 33753 Txn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEyeBC32
The team that left Houston.
I have no recollection of that. I think I blocked out the pain...
Txn_in_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-28-2004   #8
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 65244 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Swisher - how grand is that, the owner puts his picture (and largest) right in front of the derrick? Good to know where the team's priorities were. :hehe:
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004   #9
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Actually this game reminds me of when The Oilers beat KC in Houston 7-6 on a Brent Pease bootleg from the 1yrd line. The legendary Nick Lowery missed an extra point attempt when KC scored first in the game. Anyhow forget all that. We have a new team and new season.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004   #10
swisher
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4toZ
Swisher - how grand is that, the owner puts his picture (and largest) right in front of the derrick? Good to know where the team's priorities were. :hehe:

Yeah, I noticed that. I think they were celebrating 25 seasons but its still terrible...could you imagine Bob McNair doing that? Uh, No.
Old 09-28-2004   #11
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

What a great reminder of how little I miss that team. Tennessee, now entering a long and slow decline, will soon see what they paid for!

Bud's head is bigger than about 10 of the players on that cover art! What an amazing ego. Coming soon to a Nashville outhouse near you...
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004   #12
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisher
From houstonprofootball.com

November 11, 1984: K Joe Cooper's 44-yard field goal snaps Houston's 23-game road losing streak, the longest such drought in NFL history. The game also marks the first NFL victory for Warren Moon, who had been a dismal 0-10 since signing with the Oilers.
The Lions beat that record...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004   #13
swisher
Old School

Yeah, I don't forget the history of the Oilers. Hate Bud, hate the Titans, but like it or not the Oilers are the fore fathers of the Texans.

BTW you can always find old Oiler games on tape if you look for them on ebay. I just bought the 79 playoff game against the Chargers. Great game! Vernon Perry had 4 interceptions and should of had a 5th. I was way too young (four to be exact) to remember the game. It's nice to be able to see it as it was back then. And kinda cool to see Gifford Neilson playing QB for the Oilers!

http://search.ebay.com/oilers-vhs_W0...ectZ1QQfromZR8
Old 09-29-2004   #14
swisher
Old School

It's an NFL thing. They don't allow it. I think they prefer their history to be shown through the eyes of NFL Films with background music, which is not such a bad idea. NFL Films is a pretty big part of the NFL package.

The NFL Network has started to show some rebroadcasts of games, but only from the past few years. I've never seen anything very old. And they're edited.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read