Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-20-2004   #1
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer
Default Earl starting at safety

On the main site it says Brown is out with a hamstring injury. Earl is projected to start because Jason Simmons, who played relief safety, also has a bad hamstring.
Old 09-20-2004   #2
Keldar
Veteran

Good......get the experience now. He could help this secondary, hopefully sooner than later.
Keldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004   #3
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

I don't know if the timing is good for this though....especially against the KC offense.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004   #4
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
I don't know if the timing is good for this though....especially against the KC offense.
Their WRs dont scare me, just Priest and Gonzalez and we all saw what Gates did to Brown. However, Brown would probably be better than Earl in run support...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004   #5
LiveForTheGame
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to LiveForTheGame

I agree. It would have been better timing wise for him to start the last two games where it really didn't matter who was back there.
LiveForTheGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004   #6
Panther5407
All Pro

I'm glad Earl is in, never liked brown anyways. Plus he is the saftey of the future so he needs as much work as possible.
Old 09-20-2004   #7
LiveForTheGame
Veteran

Robinson is a great young corner, but we saw against San Diego that he still needs some discipline. Kennison is a good veteran receiver that could take advantage of Robinson's inexperience.
Sponsored links
Old 09-20-2004   #8
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Kennison is probably not playing on Sunday.
Old 09-20-2004   #9
LiveForTheGame
Veteran

That's good...takes a little bit of pressure off of the secondary, but KC still has several weapons in the receiver department.
Old 09-20-2004   #10
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

They have two good TEs too. I can't say that Brown being out is a positive, but Earl is going to take his lumps at SS sometime. Might as well be against KC. He played some in the Lions game too, but I didn't see him make much of an impact. But when you're a rookie coming off an injury then there isn't much expected.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004   #11
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

look earl can handle his own...he's faster and bigger than brown...all he has to do is make sure tony g doesn't get behind him...as for the run...earl isn't the only one out there to stop the run...he's only one piece of a puzzle...and so far this season kc's offense isn't that scary...hopefully this game we can get some freakin pass rush and a couple of sacks...we need a multiple sack game for our boys on defense...babin needs to get his first one...and so does walker...as for offense just play ball...that's all i can say...just play your game and don't think about it too hard...everything will fall into place
Old 09-20-2004   #12
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

I think it will be good for Our D. Since what we have isnt working might as well try something new ! I mean what could it hurt or D cant possibly get any worse !!!!!
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004   #13
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
look earl can handle his own...he's faster and bigger than brown...all he has to do is make sure tony g doesn't get behind him...as for the run...earl isn't the only one out there to stop the run...he's only one piece of a puzzle...and so far this season kc's offense isn't that scary...hopefully this game we can get some freakin pass rush and a couple of sacks...we need a multiple sack game for our boys on defense...babin needs to get his first one...and so does walker...as for offense just play ball...that's all i can say...just play your game and don't think about it too hard...everything will fall into place
It's still yet to be seen if Earl can 'handle his own' on defense. Being faster doesn't do any good if you don't know where you're supposed to be or who you're supposed to cover. Players have to know their responsibility if they're going to play at full speed without hesitation. Just look at Babin during his first few preseason games. That's something Earl hasn't had the benefit of yet. I think he'll do fine with playing time, but don't expect him to handle anyone in his first start. Babin does have a sack this season. He got it early on in the Lions game, and according to NFL.com the Texan's had 3 sacks in that game with Wong having 2. I agree that we'll need to get alot of pressure on the QB, but with KC's OLine that may not be represented in the sack total. If we can get people in his face we'll have a shot, but if the OLine looks more like a wall then we're in for a long game.
Old 09-21-2004   #14
dmt217
Veteran

I'm surprised we haven't heard anything about working Mcree in at SS. Anyway, I guess his rehab is coming along a lot quicker than I thought. I hope he doesn't re-injure his knee again....

Last edited by dmt217; 09-21-2004 at 10:04 AM.
dmt217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004   #15
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

yeah i just realized that about babin...but wong didn't get two sacks in the game against detriot one of his sacks was against the chargers...he only has two for the season...and when i said multi-sack game i was thinking more of 6-7 sacks in the game...3-4 is nice but 5+ is when it really starts to make a difference in the game...starts to make the QB rush his throws more and generally starts giving the defense more int's...as for earl i think he can handle his own...he has so much raw talent that people don't know about that he should do just fine his first game...and with coleman back there with him he'll know where he needs to line up and who to cover hopefully...even though he is a rookie is still a pro and i expect him to atleast know the defenses and where he is to line up and cover
Old 09-21-2004   #16
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm glad Earl is going to start. I would also start Armstrong in the slot.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004   #17
JDizzle
I'm a dude

Rep Power: 7477 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe with Kennison and possible Holmes being out, we might see some more complex blitzes. Trent Green is off to a poor start, and you can't let him regain his confidence by letting him camp out in the pocket.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

According to Chiefs fans, their new right tackle is seriously underperforming. Maybe Walker & Babin can bring some heat from that side.
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004   #19
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Chris Baber from the Giants is underperforming? He was one of only two decent linemen the Giants had last year. I bet the Chiefs wish John Tait had been re-signed now.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004   #20
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
yeah i just realized that about babin...but wong didn't get two sacks in the game against detriot one of his sacks was against the chargers...he only has two for the season...
Yeah that's my mistake about Wong. Forgot about the power outage sack. Babin's sack however was early on in the Detroit game, and was pretty much him tripping the QB. He did apply the pressure, and he was deserving of the sack. I don't think we'll see a 6 to 7 sack game against KC though. Even if their RT isn't what Tait was. I believe their RT is Runyan (the former Eagle), but I could be wrong about that. I don't think we'd beat him too many times, because he's an veteran player and even if he got beat he'd tackle whoever was chasing after Green to prevent the sack. I still say that Earl will take time to adjust, and you'd prefer him to get time to adjust in the preseason as opposed to the regular season. His injury prevented him from doing that. Tony G is no slouch, and he's made veteran and Pro Bowl safeties look foolish at times. He'll give Earl all he can handle and more in his first start. Early word is that Kennison and Holmes might not start, and that is definately an advantage for us. The most significant injury to the Chiefs IMO was Boerichter(sp?) because he was there WR with deep speed to stretch the defense. That could be why their offense is sputtering thus far.

*edit* I was wrong about Runyan. It's John Welbourn (also a former Eagle). We might be better off against him since he's a former Guard moved to Tackle for the Chiefs.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read