Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-19-2004   #21
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 45478 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think too many teams try to make up points with the 2 pt. conversion too often. I've noticed that games usually turn out where had they gone ahead a kicked the extra point they would have been in a better position at the end of the game.

Let's say for example, the Texans miss the 2 pt. conversion, like they did. 21-16. Detroit goes down and instead of scoring another TD, the D holds them to a FG. 24-16. Had the Texans kicked the extra point, they would only need 7, instead of doing it the hard way and having to get a TD and 2 pointer. That's the way it seems most games get down to when teams go for 2 with a whole lot of game left. I have no stats on that or anything, but I've seen many a game where a team gets to the end needing a 2 pt. conversion after failing earlier in the game, when had the kicked, all they would have needed is 7. And it seems like it happens more often than not.

I think you should never go for two unless it is at or near the end of the game...say less than 5 or 6 minutes. With 12, 13 minutes left, there's just too much football left to be played.

Points are hard to come by in the NFL. Take the easy ones.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004   #22
HoustonLionsFan
Veteran

I think there are valid arguments to be made on both sides of the decision
HoustonLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004   #23
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with the guys that thought going for the two was a horrible call. It was too early in the game.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004   #24
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2 pt. Conversion

It was a good play call (he just didn't catch it), but probably a bad decision to go for 2 in the first place. I agree with most of you here. You don't go for 2 with so much time left, because you don't know how much the other team may score and you could still make a possible come back. A lot can happen in 12 minutes--kicks, touchdowns, KICKOFF RETURNS, who knows--maybe even a safety and an onside kick, lol.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004   #25
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I agree with the guys that thought going for the two was a horrible call. It was too early in the game.
The Texans got the ball one more time after that conversion attempt. There wasn't that much time left. It was the right call.

Waiting until the last possible chance to make a play is by definition playing not to lose. Go for it. If you don't make it, at least you have the rest of the game to make up for it. Wait until the last play of the game, it's do or die. You have to maximize your opportunities to win. I can't agree with every coaching decision the Texans made, but I'll back this one 100% every time.
Old 09-20-2004   #26
SteveG
waterboy

All these compaints about turnovers, no (not enough) blitz, are merely symptoms of the real disease. We have been pointing to the same things for going on three years now. When will people start to uprise and point the finger at Capers (and Palmer)? Did anyone see the 60 minutes special on football coaches last night? We have solid talent. They are not being coached. Palmer plays too conservative and Capers plays not to loose.
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004   #27
SteveG
waterboy

Default Capers needs to go

All these things are merely symptoms of the disease. It is going on three years now. We have solid talent. The fault lies with Palmer being too conservative, and Capers playing not to lose. Anyone see the 60 minutes thing last night on Coaching in hte NFL? Everytime we lose it's either bad calls, turnovers, no blitzing, or something........fire Capers, Mr McNair. Get us a real coach.
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004   #28
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Weird

I'm getting deja-vu here.
Old 09-20-2004   #29
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG
Anyone see the 60 minutes thing last night on Coaching in hte NFL?
Well, I did not see 60 Minutes last night. Did they say that Dom Capers is a bad coach and should be fired? Why are you referring to this?
Old 09-20-2004   #30
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Default No big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
The Texans got the ball one more time after that conversion attempt. There wasn't that much time left. It was the right call.

Waiting until the last possible chance to make a play is by definition playing not to lose. Go for it. If you don't make it, at least you have the rest of the game to make up for it. Wait until the last play of the game, it's do or die. You have to maximize your opportunities to win. I can't agree with every coaching decision the Texans made, but I'll back this one 100% every time.
That's the way it worked out, but there could have been many possessions in that amount of time. In the fourth quarter of an NFL game, it happens.

I will say this. It took some guts. He showed faith in his defense and assumed there wouldn't be anymore scoring allowed. I'd like to make judgements on play calling decisions in a game where we don't lose the turnover battle so badly, though. I'm afraid I'm judging coaches just because I ticked that we lost, which is mostly DD's fault, the way I see it.
Old 09-20-2004   #31
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I thought it was too early to go for 2 myself. Way too much time to do that. You wait until the last 7-8 minutes to think about that.

After we failed on the 2-pointer, I thought the Lions would get a FG and we would be down by 8. With the TD we were down by 12 and needed two TD's to win instead of a TD with a 2-pter and a FG to tie it.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004   #32
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky

With a field goal by the Lions we are down by 8. If we kick the PAT we are only down by 7. Going for the 2 point conversion would force us to go for a high risk 2 point conversion twice. That is not a good scenario.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read