Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-19-2004   #21
rhc564
Veteran

Question. With time running out in the 4th qtr and down by 2 touchdowns,
how many NFL teams would be running the ball up the middle? Also, it
was nice to see the Lions 'playing to win' by scoring that last TD-- what
do you think the Texans would have done in that situation? And, finally,
was Williams catching TDs while double covered ( like Moss, TO, etc.)?
...thought Texans don't do it because it is a no-no (NOT)!
rhc564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004   #22
jhawktx
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhc564
how many NFL teams would be running the ball up the middle? Also, it
was nice to see the Lions 'playing to win' by scoring that last TD-- what
do you think the Texans would have done in that situation? And, finally,
was Williams catching TDs while double covered ( like Moss, TO, etc.)?
...thought Texans don't do it because it is a no-no (NOT)!

Good point...I thought we were trying to run the clock out for some reason. Also, why go for a 2 point conversion with so much time left?
jhawktx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004   #23
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhc564
how many NFL teams would be running the ball up the middle?
The Panthers did it the other night on MNF from their 15 yard line no less!!
Old 09-19-2004   #24
CaliforniaTexan
Rookie

It's gonna be a long season, isn't it?
CaliforniaTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004   #25
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2110
Maybe they are, but throwing out stats from ONE GAME that was played LAST YEAR is no way to prove it.
Chicago beat Green Bay today, not last year.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004   #26
HoustonLionsFan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOrange
Chicago beat Green Bay today, not last year.
Beat me to it
HoustonLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004   #27
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

I mis-read the original post.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004   #28
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

No the lions arent better than I thought they were.. cause I thought they were about on par with us.. with the Lions having the POTENTIAL to be the better offensive.. and us having the veteran defense.

Unfortunatly yall have something we dont.. I dont know if its coaching, or heart, or what.. but yall looked like we looked the last two seasons.

The good news is we no longer look like an expansion team! the bad news is that instead of coming into the league looking like the Patriots, we came into it looking like the Cardinals. We look like a team used to losing :P.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004   #29
HoustonLionsFan
Veteran

Well, I was trying to put it into perspective for you to make you feel better, but go ahead and think the Lions and Texans are even, even though the final tally wasn't even within 1 score. My point was that the Lions are better than you are giving them credit for and that means the Texans lost to a solid (not great by any means) team, thus, the Texans aren't as bad as you are thinking they are.
HoustonLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004   #30
supertankman
Rookie

Well, if we win next week, we will be 1-2, the same record we had last year at 3 weeks. We did win our first game against Miami and were underdogs. There are alot of games left to be played. The lions play well at home as we usually do. Now its off to Kansas!
supertankman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004   #31
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

we lack playmakers on defense and our offense cant protect the rock. that pretty much sums it all up.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004   #32
SteelBlueToro
Veteran

The team is fundamentally flawed on both sides of the line.
SteelBlueToro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004   #33
rdbrem
Rookie

What is wrong with us?

As everybody knows, Davis had 36 touches. AJ had 4. Bradford had 3.

A lot of things were wrong, but the play selection was poor, and we didn't pick on their secondary, and Davis coughed the ball up. Not rocket science (does 'Houston, we have a problem' ring a bell?)

I'm just afraid that with mistakes like that, plus the penalties, the guys are going to start having head problems. 'I'm myself for this team, he's getting playing time', etc. Afraid they're going to start playing the blame game (like the guys on this board) rather than playing ball.

If DD holds onto the ball today, it's a totally different game. If Carr doesn't throw the INT. If we stop Drummond on a kickoff return. If we don't commit penalties everytime something good happens.

If we perform the basics.
Old 09-20-2004   #34
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

I have consistantly defended the offensive playcalling for 2 years and one game. However, I'm done doing that! The Lions had 8 men in the box, mediocre corners who were biting on first moves and the Texans refused to take a shot downfield until the third quarter. Furthermore, they refused to throw at all until third down. It was a disgusting display. I couldn't tell if Carr was off in the first half or if the offensive was just so freakin' predictable that the Lions knew exactly where to be. EVERY SINGLE TIME the Texans went downfield with the ball, they had a man open- most of the passes were completed (Gaffney for 25, Bradford TD, AJ TD, and the AJ catch at the end of the game when the referee robbed him).

Whether Palmer or Capers is responsible for this ultra conservative and extremely predictable playcalling, it needs to be corrected next week.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004   #35
TexanAggie
Rookie

It is killing me that we cannot stop a team with 3rd & 14 , They are eating us up. Where is our coverage..

What is up with Marcus Coleman you move to SS and you cant tackle anymore? I saw several plays the he tried to tackle like Matt Stevens, HEY LETS ask Matt how his tackling worked for him, oh wait no longer here...

I understand that Capers wants to establish the run but come one when it is 2 and 13 why not play action and dump it off to a te or those 3 stud WR's we have oh wait my mistake 4 wr's.... Everytime we ran DD was running for his life with DT's in the back field, but i guess thats not too hard when they know 1 and 2nd down it will be a run... ....

It is amazing when we had to pass we did and moved it down the field.. Their was too much pressure put on DD to have a running game. I think Capers needs to look for another O coordinator, Palmer is soft and weak without a killer instact. It is obvious with the play calling. I jsut dont understand we have 4 really good Wr's why not make them work and I dont want the Texans to wear out DD like the Oilers did with Earl....

I did see some really good play. Babin seemed to be everywhere and that is super, I didnt see the lions test our rookie CB much either.

I know one thing the TEXANS better start winning or I will have to buy season tickets again next yr..........
TexanAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004   #36
geofb
Veteran

A possible silver lining in all this is now, finally, the coaching staff will get it through their thick heads they need to throw downfield more. With Davis fumbling so much, Dom is sure to want to react in some way. If he reacts by getting Davis less touches and throwing the ball downfield more, that will be great and is what we should have been doing anyway.
geofb is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read