Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-11-2004   #21
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
As you said in another post, this is my gut feel. I may be wrong, but I don't think I'm that far off base. I know we have made some changes offensively, but they are small in comparison to the defensive side of the ball. Even though we drafted offensively the first two years the empahsis was defense and so was the coaching. I think we have under developed our offensive capabilities. This year is a new one and I hope we see some improvement. We are very close to having a very good team.
An entirely new blocking scheme is not a "small change". The empahsis was on "winning", not offense. When you have a young offense you tend to get blown out when you run a wide open set (mistakes lead to blowouts). We rarely got blown out our first two years as a NFL team starting from scratch. There is something to be said for that.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004   #22
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

I won't disagree with that statement, but perhaps that should have happened long ago which is what I'm saying. In any event we are both wanting the same thing and that's a winning year. Again at this point in time, I believe offense is going to be our weakness this year. I hope I'm proven wrong. As I have stated I see some real interesting young players offensively and I think they will push some of the veterns real hard. Don't be surprised to see a Bradford or Gaffny in trouble with respect to making the team. Again the line, if Wand has developed, could also be an interesting problem for Capers at cut time. I think its going to be a very interesting year for the veterns.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004   #23
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Gaffney needs the ball thrown to him. That's all he needs. No way in heck he is in danger of not making the team. How many games have you actually seen Ibar? I know you don't get the games on TV out there. Tell me please because I'd like to know what you have actually eyeballed since I can't seem to grasp MUCH of what you post about our team, month in, month out. You seem so sure about what you post about, but I find most of your takes a bit far out there.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004   #24
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
Don't be surprised to see a Bradford or Gaffny in trouble with respect to making the team. .
HUH? There is no way Gaff or Bradford are in trouble of making the team.
wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004   #25
Erratic Assassin
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 Erratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier
I thought about it and was wondering, what is the Texans biggest strength? When you think of our D you think of solid experienced veterans, but when you think of the offense your first impulse is young, explosive play-making talent.
Year 1 and Year 2:
We drafted offense

Year 3 and Year 4:
Defense

We probably have more young talent on offense right now, but things will even out next year.
Erratic Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004   #26
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Naturally, I am excited about our defensive aquisitions. I also like that we got Wade, Bruener, and Joppru on offense now.

People have said that having Bruener is like having an extra tackle on the line. I think our singleback-2TE sets are going to give defenses more fits than people think. DD has that natural ability to slash and dart to the open spot with great force. With a solid TE blocking on the end for Hollings we might see more success edge-rushing from him. I see Carr expanding his knowledge of game management this year (less mistakes). AJ and Gaffney just need to catch the ball when it gets to them. I hope we don't see another 40-yard pass dropped by AJ this year.

The defense has improved and built depth, which I feel the offense still lacks. It has become apparent to me that this is going to be a defensive team with a solid running attack and occasional passing like Baltimore. The DL is better with Smith, and we have a depth there with Deloach and Ioane (wish we could have signed Martin). LB position is filled up now and some depth from the draft. S position is solid and has depth. The addition of Earl and Brown should be good at SS. Mcree and Coleman make us set at FS. CB is good, but we have a rookie at RCB. Our Nickel, Dime, and Quarter package is as good as any in the league though with Glenn, Robinson, and Coleman.

I would say its a tie.

Last edited by rittenhouserobz; 05-12-2004 at 02:43 AM.
rittenhouserobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004   #27
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

At different points during the season each will take the lead & in the end the group with the fewer injurys will come out on top

On a positive note I think our special teams play will be outstanding, one of the best balanced most proficient in the league. I think Hollings will be solid on kick-offs & one of the rookies or free agents will emerge big time over last year. Add to that our kicking game is solid, plus Earl Glenn, Charlie Anderson, & Raheem Orr all trying to impress for playing time makes the Texans special teams look higher ranked by the end of the season than both the offense or defense
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004   #28
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rittenhouserobz
People have said that having Bruener is like having an extra tackle on the line. I think our singleback-2TE sets are going to give defenses more fits than people think. DD has that natural ability to slash and dart to the open spot with great force. With a solid TE blocking on the end for Hollings we might see more success edge-rushing from him.
I would add that we can have SPEED at WR (Johnson and Bradford) that will cause match-up problems. When we are in our 'jumbo' two TE package (good blockers, like Bruener and hopefully Joppru), the outside speed should keep the safties from walking up iinto the box. I like DD running behind 7 OL (including the two tight ends), against 7 in the box.
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004   #29
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rittenhouserobz
It has become apparent to me that this is going to be a defensive team with a solid running attack and occasional passing like Baltimore.
Capers would love to have a defensive team, with a solid running game and good special teams.

I can't accept the comparison to Baltimore, however. They have CONSISTENTLY messed up at QB, with a long line of saviors who are hand picked by Billick, only to be busts. The latest fiasco was passing on Leftwich and then trying to fill with Boller. Boller has to improve A LOT to compare with what Carr has done with an expansion team.

Also, Baltimore messed up their WR situation. I think our WR are substantially better than Baltimores.
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read