Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-12-2004   #21
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153429 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
We lost not because of personel, but we simply got out played!

The fact that we got "out played" by the worst team in football means that we are THE WORST TEAM IN FOOTBALL! NO EXCUSES! If there is pride in this team, we will come out and maul Detroit next week.
Is everything ok? We lost a football game. Big whoop. Get over it. We are going to lose about 8 more or so this year. It's not the end of the world...and yes, we are not one of the better teams in the NFL despite what you read on this board.
Vinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004   #22
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think you're putting a little too much stock in that "worst team in football" tag. Before 2003 that was hung on the Bengals and they thumped us in 2002. The difference between the best and the worst of the NFL is much smaller than you might think.

I was simply addressing the question of why our defense isn't the aggressive death dealing monster that some people feel it should be. It looked pretty good in 2002, suffered losses and showed how thin it was in 2003, and now it's been tinkered with to address that situation in 2004. Give it the first 4 weeks of the season and when we've wrapped that up see if you think any progress has been made on this side of the ball.

Why we lost the game was a completely different question. My answer to that would be that the Chargers took advantage of a pair of costly fumbles and a couple of interceptions. They got 14 points off of turnovers (and could have had more) while we were shorted 4 potential scoring opportunities. Simple as that. Our players didn't do their jobs on the offensive side of the ball consistently enough to win.
Old 09-12-2004   #23
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
SS Eric Brown had a horrible game in my opinion, not being able to contain a the TE and vertualy being demolished by the guy
Eric Brown's strength is controlling the run. He got torched because the Bolts knew this. He will bite on the play fake more often than not. Gates is also a very impressive tight end.
Old 09-13-2004   #24
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

I say settle down. The OL is still settling into the new zone blocking. The defense is stilling gelling. Starting two rookies can have an affect. I am still optomisitc about this season. By week 6 If we can salvage 2 or 3 wins then we will be in good shape. That is my prediction.
Old 09-13-2004   #25
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Eric Brown did look pretty bad today.
The team is already aware of that. Why do you think we drafted Earl in the 4th? Brown is good against the run but is a liability in coverage. Personally I'd like to see McCree moved to SS and see what he can do.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004   #26
SESupergenius

We didn't get pressure in the 2nd half, the first half we gave them some decent pressure and allowed 13 points. You can't help it when a rookie falls down and they get a TD, a 3-4, 4-3, 5-2, 6-1 scheme won't help you one bit if that happens. We got no safety play . Parker should have been covered by Brown and one of the LB's on Gates.
Old 09-13-2004   #27
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Speaking of schemes.... I forgot who said this, but someone recently said there was a Hall of Fame coach that used to run a 4-4-4 defense in certain situations. The coach knew it was illegal but risked it to have another player on the field. I just thought it was hilarious when I heard this.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004   #28
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittbull
Sorry folks for the early rant, but either the 3-4 has to go or they have to find a defensive coordinator that will run it the right way! YES, I know we can not turn the ball over as many times as we did, but we also have to cause something on the defensive side of the ball! How many third down conversions did the Chargers have? Not the Patriots, Not the Eagles, Not the Colts, but the Chargers? Not only conversions, but for long yards! This team has to blitz the QB more and place pressure on the QB! Mark my words, the Chargers will not win more than 3 more games this season, due to the SMART D-Coordinators realizing that pressure is the key to breaking down an offense, not relying on a defense that is just getting back together after being destoryed by injury a year ago, and two rookies! Either switch to a scheme that will alow you to place more pressure on the QB, or fire the Coordinator! With a game plan like this, get ready for a long, hot, loosing season in Houston!
Ok let me get this we have pretty much the same defense we had in 2002 back and all the players healthy now and you say 3-4 isnt working ???? We beat the steelers what 21 to 6 or something like that and you wanna talk about the 3-4 isnt working ok man,,,,almost all the starters were hurt last season give them a lil chance to get back into the speed of the game. Well i guess the pats shoulda fired all their coordinator after there opening loss to buffalo 31-0 last season huh,,,oh but didnt they do just fine the rest of the year ???? MAN IT WAS JUST ONE GAME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004   #29
SESupergenius

That's exactly it, it shouldn't be a big surprise. I tried to tell people that this defense is pretty young, and it showed. They were all out of synch all day. It takes time for a team gel together. I actually think this is good for our defense to get beat this first game because we can then take more time to fix the problems. We should be more prepared and playing together these next few games.
Old 09-13-2004   #30
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
That's exactly it, it shouldn't be a big surprise. I tried to tell people that this defense is pretty young, and it showed. They were all out of synch all day. It takes time for a team gel together. I actually think this is good for our defense to get beat this first game because we can then take more time to fix the problems. We should be more prepared and playing together these next few games.
I agree i just hate it how people wanna count out the D because of one bad game ,,,,when some of the players havent played in a whole year ! The D will be good ,,,babin looked sharp and i think Dunta did good for the most part.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read