Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-07-2004   #21
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
A would read too much negative into that. Miami needs someone who can run today. If Works need some work, then sitting him on a practice squad to develop is not a bad thing.
Miami didn't even know who their starting RB was going to be until this morning, and they gave the job to a guy with something like 15 yards in the whole preseason. If you can't make the Dolphins roster as a RB this year, you're probably not worth MUCH of a look. He's about the same weight as Davis and Hollings, but a bit taller; he supposedly can run hard between the tackles.

Maybe he'll do better with some coaching by an offensive coordinator who actually expected to HAVE that job this year. Miami's guy not only didn't expect to be the coordinator, he also didn't expect to have to find a new starter!

Last edited by TexanExile; 09-07-2004 at 07:06 PM. Reason: typo
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004   #22
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
Shantee Orr was a college DE in '02, a OLB in '03, and now has been asked to move to ILB. Like Faggins last year, I think it's only a matter of time (and instruction) for Orr to be a legit NFL backup.
Are you concerned about his height? I appreciate that Sam Mills did a great job for Capers in Carolina, but Orr is a little short.
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004   #23
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Orr is a little short
So is Zach Thomas.

Orr is listed almost everywhere at 6'0" but that's being generous.

I think ILB is about the only place he could play on a regular basis. Shantee blitzing from the OLB slot on 3rd down or 2nd and long was fine. Shantee lining up against a 6'6" TE or LT is not fine. Shantee dropping into coverage isn't all that great either.

As far as NFLE, no Texans player could benefit more than Dave Ragone.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004   #24
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistril48
Are you concerned about his height? I appreciate that Sam Mills did a great job for Capers in Carolina, but Orr is a little short.
Another great MLB was Mike Singletary. He was like maybe 5'11"?

I think Orr needs the time on the practice field and in the film room to see the game from the angle of an ILB. I'm not saying Orr can become Singletary, Thomas, or Mills...just a solid NFL player at ILB.
Old 09-07-2004   #25
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanExile

Maybe he'll do better with some coaching by an offensive coordinator who actually expected to HAVE that job this year. Miami's guy not only didn't expect to be the coordinator, he also didn't expect to have to find a new starter!
This 2nd part is closer to what I was thinking. Didn't overly impress me at Oklahoma either, but I am not sure if he was ever given a chance to be the "man." Not expecting much, but I not going to rip Cass and Co for having Works hanging around.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004   #26
A Texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
Kind of surprised that Lekkerker didn't get put on it. Must not have looked as good as it was sounding.
Lekkerkerker is on the Oakland Raiders practice squad now.
A Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004   #27
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Another great MLB was Mike Singletary. He was like maybe 5'11"?
Yup, I saw this guy at the airport in Springfield, Mo. just a couple of years ago. I'm 5'11" and I swear he wasn't as tall as me ! He was going thru the metal detector right in front of me, and was very courtesy, calm, deliberate in his demeanor. He sure wasn't that way on the field. Talk about your "Jeckell and Hyde".
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004   #28
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Texan
Thanks, that explains it. Didn't clear waivers. To bad, I thought he was probably a good development project.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004   #29
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not saying Orr can become Singletary, Thomas, or Mills...just a solid NFL player at ILB.
Perhaps another Eugene Seals?
:hehe:
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004   #30
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
Thanks, that explains it. Didn't clear waivers. To bad, I thought he was probably a good development project.
Lekkerkerker did clear waivers, else he'd be on the Raiders roster. He was free to sign on any team's practice squad. Heck, I don't even know if the Texans offered the guy a spot on the squad.
Old 09-08-2004   #31
A Texan
Veteran

Evidently they didn't offer Lekkerkerker a spot because they said they were able to get everybody they had targeted.
A Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004   #32
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Perhaps another Eugene Seals?
:hehe:
Man Vinny, you brought some real memories back with that name. I have been looking for that type of player on our team. The only reason why I haven't found them is because noone has been able to make plays like he consistently did. Jason Bell is the one guy that comes close.

Seals made me pay attention to special teams after the hit he laid on Ricky Sanders in Washington one year. Eric Fairs also was his culprit.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004   #33
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Texan
Wonder if we tried to sign him but he preferred Oakland?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read