Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-01-2004   #21
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhc564
Question- Are the Texans 'coached to win' or are they "coached not to
lose?'
I think they were coaching a young expansion team that was built for the long haul in our two start-up years. You aren't going to try to accomplish the same things as a team that has all the tools for a Super Bowl run. You can't open up the offense as much and you can't take many risks when you get beat physically on defense. I find it hard to carry the 02, 03 Texans and their tendencies into 04.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004   #22
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Not that I've had major problems in this area but the problems I've seen relate more to execution than play calling by a long shot.

The run run pass argument was debunked more than it was upheld last year.

A well mixed 30/35 run/pass is probably a pretty good target.

Here's a perspective:
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ne....php?PRKey=932

Last edited by aj.; 09-01-2004 at 09:15 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004   #23
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAJ
I think the best player on the team is Domanick Davis.
Andre Johnson should have that title over DD if you want to omit Carr because he gets too much attention. I read an intresting scouting report in my SI magazine (you can also read it online if you have a subscription and havent gotten it in the mail)
Quote:
Domanick Davis is O.K., but how many of his yards last year came because teams just weren't going to let Houston beat them deep?...Andre Johnson is the real deal. He's physical and can run like hell, and I think his concentration lapses will be few and far between
And on the topic of Passive play calling:
A couple of people have had trouble grasping that it is the preseason. We have already had a 'Fire Palmer' thread and now a thread questioning the play calling. It is like poker, you dont show your hand when you dont need too. Just wait till the season...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004   #24
CAJ
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
Andre Johnson should have that title over DD if you want to omit Carr because he gets too much attention. I read an intresting scouting report in my SI magazine (you can also read it online if you have a subscription and havent gotten it in the mail)...
Your talking about what Andre can do. I'm talking about what DD did.
CAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004   #25
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAJ
Your talking about what Andre can do. I'm talking about what DD did.
DD ran for 1000 yards his rookie season. 40 other rookie RBs have completed that feat in the history of the NFL. It is much harder for a rookie WR to adjust to the NFL and put up good numbers their rookie year....

I think the only WRs to have better rookie years then AJ were Terry Glenn, Randy Moss, Anquain Boldin and maybe Joey Galloway... (can somebody check that)

Just for comparsion, AJ had a better rookie season then (I only looked at 1st round picks) Charles Rogers, Bryant Johnson, Javon Walker, Ashley Lelie, Donte Stallworth, David Terrell, Koren Robinson, Rod Gardner, Santana Moss, Freddie Mitchell, Reggie Wayne, Peter Warrick, Plaxico Burress, Travis Taylor, Sylvester Morris, Jay R. Soward, Torry Holt, David Boston, Troy Edwards, Kevin Dyson, Ike Hillard, Yatil Green, Reidel Anthony, Rae Carruth, Keyshawn Johnson, Eddie Kennison, Marvin Harrision, Eric Moulds. This is up to the 1996 draft and I have only left off Glenn, Moss, and Galloway, so if I am thinking right, AJ had the 5th best rookie year of all the WRs in NFL history (Boldin included).....

AJ is better then DD...(I can name 5 backs who had better rookie years then DD right off the top of my head: Portis, A-Train, LT, Edge, and Eddie George)

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Old 09-01-2004   #26
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTEXANSWIN
Earl Campbell also comes to mind. But most of the backs you just mentioned played behind far superior lines than DD did last year. And most of them were given the starting nod immediately. What DD did was in 10 starts.
Our line was pretty good last year, and DD doesnt get 1000 yards if he doesnt play in the games against the Dolphins, Saints, and Jags game. The number 1000 just seems to make everything bigger and better, I guess.....

Dont get me wrong. I am not saying what DD did wasnt impressive. It was, but I was just saying that over the history of the NFL 40 other RBs have got 1000 yards their rookie seasons and only 4 other WRs have had a better rookie season then AJ. And dont forget that AJ probably gets 1000 yards if the Texans didnt have to play musical QBs....

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read