Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-30-2004   #1
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default Anyone know about the number situation?

I hate to harp on this again, but does anyone know if the numbers on some of these receivers are going to change? I mean, marque guys wearing 10, 11, 12, what kind of stuff is that. I hope we dont get to the point that guys start wearing numbers to single themselves out, ala what Warren Sapp said "no one sees our faces", so guys get numbers that are out there! Could you see AJ wearing 99, or Carr wearing 55, just so everyone on the field knows them? I hope this is just a preseason thing. AJ wore #15 for preseason, then switched to a traditional WR number, I hope these others do the same!
Old 08-30-2004   #2
rdbrem
Rookie

In the regular season, numbers are regulated based on position.
Old 08-30-2004   #3
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry i don't have a link, but I read somewhere that staring this year WR's may wear numbers 10-19 in addition to the traditional 80-89.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
NFL Uniform numbers are handed out with an actual system, which I kind of think is cool. I donít know of any other pro sport that does this, and it is much better than the randomness of college football. Position(s) Primary/Alternate
-------------------- ------- ---------
QB, P, K 1-19
RB, DB 20-49
C 50-59/60-79
G, T 60-79
WR 80-89/10-19
TE 80-89
DL (NT,DT,DE) 60-79/90-99
LB 50-59/90-99

If a player changes his position during his playing career in the NFL and such change moves him out of a category specified above, he must be issued an appropriate new jersey number.

Any request to wear a number for a special position not specified
(e.g., H-back) must be made to the Commissioner.

During the preseason period when rosters are larger, the league allows duplication and other temporary deviations from the numbering scheme specified, but the rule must be adhered to for all players during the regular season and postseason. Clubs must make numbers available to adhere to the rule, even if it requires putting back into circulation a number that has been retired or withheld for other reasons.
The alternate number thing is not new, but the alternates can only be used if the primary numbers in the appropriate are used up.
Old 08-30-2004   #5
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Rule 5, Section 1, Article 4.

At least that's where it's discussed in my rule book.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004   #6
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry, I didn't open your link. I just saw cak's and reacted. You are right on it.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read