Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-30-2014   #41
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: San Antonio Raiders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTexansFan View Post
Bob is definitely delusional. San Antonio and Austin are staunchly Cowboy fans. As for SA getting a team, I'd support that if they'd place the stadium midway between SA and Austin, and call them something like the Texas Raiders where both cities could participate. That would be a large enough fanbase, with the right corporate support to succeed.
Agree! Somewhere between Live Oak and New Braunfels. Retama Park would be ideal. That would put it 50-60 miles from Austin. 30 or less from San Marcos. However San Antonio is the 7th largest city in the US and could easily fill the stadium if they built a new stadium where the Dome is now. From a Marketing stand point somewhere in the area of Live Oak to New Braunfels makes sense. City of SA would prefer the Alamo dome area where they could use the facility for conventions to generate tax revenues. That didn't stop folks from building the ATT Center outside of downtown. Raiders would come with an International fan base.
Old 07-30-2014   #42
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
I almost would want to see this happen, if for anything to pee in Jerrah's Cheerios.

I also would want to know how the people in San Antonio would feel towards Jerrah and Bob if they were the ones responsible for blocking them from getting a NFL team.

If I were a native of SA this would leave a bad taste in my mouth and might damper me from supporting their teams.

Honestly, as I think about this more, if I were still living in Austin I might actually want this. There are enough ways to watch the Texans so that would not be much of a concern.

It's actually pretty cool living within driving distance to multiple NFL teams. The more local rivals the more fun it is. I like the fact that where I live now I have the Bucs an hour and a half away, the Jags 2 hours away and the Dolphins 4 hours away. When I lived in Delaware it was cool having the Eagles, Giants, Jets, Redskins and now Ravens within doable driving distance.
Yes, me too. Several folks think no way this happens. IMO I think odds might be in favor of it happening. Jerah has rubbed most owners and NFL the wrong way on a couple of occasions. Once when they they took advantage of salary cap in the no cap year. IIRC NFL hit Dallas and Wash with $20 mil penalty for not abiding with the league agreement. Owners voted 30-0 in favor of the penalty, I believe. Dallas sued NFL and lost. Didn't Jerah also sue NFL for Dallas to keep all merchandising and not share with NFL. If the Raiders wanted to move to S.A. I think getting 24 votes might be easier than some imagine. I imagine there are quite a few owners who would also like to take a whizz in Jerah's Cheerios. (Cak should be along shortly to give us the exact details of Jerah's dissatisfactions with the NFL.)

Last edited by Texian; 07-30-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014   #43
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Has San Antonio (w/ the help of Austin) even proposed a stadium plan? The Alamodome is not an option. The NFL made that clear whenever the Saints were displaced because of Katrina.

I think San Antonio might lack some corporate power, but if they and Austin teamed up, they might figure out a plan.

That said, I would feel extremely bad for my fellow Texans fans in Central and South Texas. If this ever came to fruition, the Texans might as well be... the Buffalo Bills? Browns?

*EDIT*
I liked Bob McNair's response when it came to the question about the Raiders moving back to LA.... (paraphrased) "They've been working on a team for LA for sixteen years"
Old 07-30-2014   #44
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Agree! Somewhere between Live Oak and New Braunfels. Retama Park would be ideal. That would put it 50-60 miles from Austin. 30 or less from San Marcos. However San Antonio is the 7th largest city in the US and could easily fill the stadium if they built a new stadium where the Dome is now. From a Marketing stand point somewhere in the area of Live Oak to New Braunfels makes sense. City of SA would prefer the Alamo dome area where they could use the facility for conventions to generate tax revenues. That didn't stop folks from building the ATT Center outside of downtown. Raiders would come with an International fan base.
from what I understand it isn't the ability to fill the seats that has stunted San Antonio's desire to bring a NFL team to their fair city, but the lack of ability to farm the corporate dollar for sponsorships and elite tier seating/suites. This is the same challenge for all the small market clubs so it can be done, but it's challenging. I just think the NFL would rather be in one of the coastal mega markets over introducing another 'small market' city such as San Antonio or OKC (for instance). While they may be able to sell individual seats there is a lack of corporate abundance in those types of cities.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014   #45
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

First thing come to my mind was Red McCombs. If LA was going to get NFL team it would have by now (uh besides the LA Raiders). I think it comes down to what McNair and Jerry can get out of it & don't tell me they can't. Also, is there enough big business in the target area to not only fill the boxes and buy advertising but to pressure Bob and Jones to not vote no? I doubt the NFL or Texans/Cowboys care much about their fans in target area as many will remain regardless.

Could San Antonio work into Super Bowl site rotation? Texas governor and other politicos and businesses could put pressure on Jones & McNair. I'm not sure target area can afford a $700 m new stadium but maybe Mattress Mac could open an outlet there and doesn't Tillmon Ferttito have restaurant(s) in S.A.?

Until Jones bought Cowboys, I did follow Dallas some and would probably at least check into Raiders if in San Antonio.
Old 07-31-2014   #46
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134080 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I think this would be great if it were to happen. That would give us another place to watch games at just a few hours away. The Raiders could work in San Antonio. I don't see it happening though. Jerry Jones has a big market of fans out there, and from what I understand he has lobbied to keep away any opportunities of that city getting an NFL team there in the past. The Raiders have the same color uniforms as the Spurs as well and I think the personality of the team would fit well there.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014   #47
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't mind cali has 3 NFL teams NY has 3 and FLordia has 3

I think Texas can handle 3 teams

but only if they move the raiders to the AFC south and take either the Jags or colts out
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014   #48
Khari
Administrator

Section: Varies
Rep Power: 35273 Khari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfuldragon View Post
I think it'd be pretty cool.
word...you go San Antonio!

Old 07-31-2014   #49
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

They'd need a new mascot, IMO.

What would you give them?

The San Antonio ______________?
Old 07-31-2014   #50
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 119055 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post

In the unlikely event that they move to SA, I think it would be a travesty to change the name. The autumn wind is a pirate after all.
Old 07-31-2014   #51
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
In the unlikely event that they move to SA, I think it would be a travesty to change the name. The autumn wind is a pirate after all.
There is no way they would change their brand no matter where they go.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014   #52
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I don't think there is a snowballs chance the Raiders change their name. Plus why? A San Antonio team's draw would include the gulf coast and there was plenty of pirate activity there (hence the Buccaneers also). Frankly the name makes a lot more sense in Texas than in Oakland (where it wasn't a popular choice to begin with).
Old 07-31-2014   #53
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm thinking...

Sombreros

Sharknado

Sangrias

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014   #54
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 40896 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected
Default third NFL team in texas

There are rumors of raiders relocating to San Antonio

(sorry I cant get the link now, I'm on my phone)

I don't really know if this will actually happen, nor if they will keep the mame or change it.

But, what name would you think could represent texas?

You cant use the lone star or cowboys (dallas team) nor bulls or texas (houston team)
And you should choose the colors carefully.

I was thinking something linked to the figure of the "sheriff" or maybe the Ranger...

The symbol could be the sheriff's star, and the colors those of the sheriffs uniform...

What do you think would be a good name/color combo?
Old 07-31-2014   #55
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68452 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm thinking...

Sombreros

Sharknado

Sangrias

Can we change our name to the Houston Sharknados?

santo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014   #56
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Rangers? Go with a Texas Ranger motif? Maybe not. Probably something a little more Spanish would go over better. After all I would see a San Antonio version of the Raiders as a kind of surrogate team for Mexico.

Seriously. You hear about the NFL paying lip service to the idea of a team in Mexico City every few years but I think it's unlikely that it ever happens. Too chaotic and too much trouble. On the other hand you could put a team in San Antonio and use it to appeal to Mexico. Maybe play some games in Mexico City (Hey, if they can send a game to London they can send a couple to Mexico City) and I bet the bandwagon would fill up pretty quickly.
Old 07-31-2014   #57
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
You hear about the NFL paying lip service to the idea of a team in Mexico City every few years but I think it's unlikely that it ever happens. Too chaotic and too much trouble.
Chicago has a team.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014   #58
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The Texas Raiders

I think it would be pretty cool if the Raiders moved to our great state. I doubt it happens, but who knows, anything is possible.
Old 07-31-2014   #59
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Rangers? Go with a Texas Ranger motif? Maybe not. Probably something a little more Spanish would go over better. After all I would see a San Antonio version of the Raiders as a kind of surrogate team for Mexico.
The name which won the original naming poll was ... Senors. Raiders came in 3rd.

Still not sure why people think Raiders is not an appropriate name for a Texas team.
Old 07-31-2014   #60
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
The name which won the original naming poll was ... Senors. Raiders came in 3rd.

Still not sure why people think Raiders is not an appropriate name for a Texas team.
Me either. I wasn't so much thinking that Raiders wouldn't work. I was more thinking along the lines of "If they did decide to re-brand in some way what would they do?"

I'd be fine with Raiders though. Wouldn't make any difference to me at all. I think it would be the Raiders preference to keep their name and identity and that seems obvious with the mention of a statue of Al Davis in front of the stadium. They seem to want to hang on to their identity, not change it. Makes sense.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read