Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-18-2014   #1481
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 352273 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans hire Bill O'Brien as HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
When KJ was asked the difference in the defensive schemes he responded, "well, we won't be sitting ducks."
Wade's what you(the QB) see is what you get defense.
Old 07-18-2014   #1482
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 136288 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
I thought we just fired that guy.

When KJ was asked the difference in the defensive schemes he responded, "well, we won't be sitting ducks."

Where was this at? Link?
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014   #1483
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 352273 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Where was this at? Link?
Quote:
“We definitely have a chance to disguise a little bit more as opposed to being out there like sitting ducks and you know just waiting for it to happen to us,” Jackson said of the difference in defensive schemes. “I think we’ll have a lot more chances to see the ball come out instead of having our backs to the ball and playing a lot of man. I’m sure we’ll play man, but we’ll defiantly mix it up a lot more than usual.”
http://www.csnhouston.com/football-h...-under-crennel

then this from DJ...

Quote:
“It’s a lot of adjustments but it’s all adjustments for the better,” Swearinger said on Thursday, after the Texans wrapped up their third day of OTAs. “We like it. I like it a whole lot better than last year because it gives us flexibility. We’ll be able to confuse a lot of quarterbacks, switching calls and stuff like that. I like it and just ready to keep going with it.”
http://www.csnhouston.com/football-h...-d-better-last

Right off the bat one of the things that Ed Reed butted heads with Wade about was disguising your defenses -- Wade didn't believe in it. Reed was done before he got here, but the dude was in every smart QB's head for years. (Watch A Football Life: Bill Belichick... he and Brady focus on Reed in their game-planning.)
Old 07-18-2014   #1484
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 378037 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Prepare to be shocked sir!
I would love nothing more than to be shocked in this regard. I certainly do not want my perspective to be confirmed, but instead be blown out of the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austins23 View Post
Must have been spiked two years ago when #8 took em to the playoffs.
nah, Schaub/Kubiak had a good offense for years. The Texans just had horrible defenses until Wade came along.

I was more shocked in 2013 when the team was never able to show even a glimmer of its 2011 & 2012 self. I was bathing in spiked koolaid during last year's pre-season. In my mind, it was a given that they would be in the playoffs. So it was just a question of how far could they go? Obviously, a 14 game losing streak was the last thing I expected.
Old 07-21-2014   #1485
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

WHEN YOU COME HERE

1. DO YOUR JOB
2. WORK HARD
3. PAY ATTENTION & FOCUS
4. ALWAYS PUT THE TEAM FIRST

On the entry door.
Old 07-21-2014   #1486
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 136288 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone watch the Texans propaganda film on Ch 13 last night, Texans Reloaded? O brien is in some of the new commercials saying "Be a good team mate". Fact he even did them kind of dispels the myth he is Belechikien
Old 07-21-2014   #1487
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Anyone watch the Texans propaganda film on Ch 13 last night, Texans Reloaded? O brien is in some of the new commercials saying "Be a good team mate". Fact he even did them kind of dispels the myth he is Belechikien
So you have knowledge of all things the Pats put out in local media?

Maybe he is and maybe not. Probably most of the time we won't know exactly how Belichick would have handled something.
Old 07-21-2014   #1488
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
So you have knowledge of all things the Pats put out in local media?

Maybe he is and maybe not. Probably most of the time we won't know exactly how Belichick would have handled something.
Pretty well known Belichick doesn't do a lot of these types of PR things. And yes my wife's family are huge Pats fans so I get some knowledge there.
Old 07-21-2014   #1489
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Pretty well known Belichick doesn't do a lot of these types of PR things. And yes my wife's family are huge Pats fans so I get some knowledge there.
It's well known Belichick doesn't give away much to the press in interviews. Not the same thing at all.
Old 07-21-2014   #1490
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
So you have knowledge of all things the Pats put out in local media?ful

Aren't we in a great mood this beautiful Monday morning.

I like BOB doing that spot and no BB doesn't do things like that. Atleast that I've seen in the last decade.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #1491
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Not much to go on but so far BOB looks like he is slowly defining he is his own man. I don't think we will see clone-guy at all. I do think he learned things from BB that he will emulate. I don't know why you mess with what you perceive works, and it's part of why he was hired in the first place. Experience in a winning system seems something Bob (McNair) coveted in Kubiak and the BOB.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #1492
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 378037 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Belichick did let an NFL Film crew follow him around for a year to make two episodes of A Football Life. That was very revealing.
Old 07-21-2014   #1493
MistaRed
All Pro

Rep Power: 13090 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm watching it now. Good stuff.
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #1494
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post
I'm watching it now. Good stuff.
Yeah but the video quality is complete garbage. Texans and Ch 13 need to upgrade their equipment
Old 07-28-2014   #1495
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/...o-tom-coughlin

Quote:
The two days I spent watching the Houston Texans were like a time machine of sorts for me, taking me back to a time when I was a beat guy covering the Jacksonville Jaguars with a first-year NFL coach named Tom Coughlin.

My favorite moment from the two days I watched the team, a moment that says a lot about O'Brien, was when he had his players line up to run wind sprints after practice, an NFL rarity, but something Coughlin used to do. "You want to know how to win?" O'Brien screamed at his players. "Listen to me."

I get the sense he loves the don't-pay-attention-to-outside-noise-and-distraction mantra, which are things a control freak like O'Brien tries to eliminate as best he can. I would love to say he's different than what he seems, which a lot of staffers told me, but I never had a chance to sit down with him in a one-on-one setting. It didn't fit the schedule, I guess.

I am OK with that. Nor am I complaining about it. Sometimes, it's best to just observe and listen. And based on what I saw, I think O'Brien could be a heck of a coach.

The problem is that many limbs from that Parcells tree rotted when they broke off. The coaches rarely lived up to the hype when they got head-coaching jobs, one such failure being Romeo Crennel, now the defensive coordinator in Houston. There have been others who have also failed, like Josh McDaniels and Eric Mangini. Coughlin, though, won big. And I see more Coughlin in O'Brien than Mangini or Crennel or McDaniels.

He will learn. He's smart. He will also learn what's important and what's not -- and will realize you can't sweat the little things. Although he would never admit it, when Coughlin learned that lesson, he won a Super Bowl.

Before that happened, he was fired in Jacksonville and forced to change. Like most smart coaches, O'Brien will come to realize the only things that truly matter are those that happen on the field, and, no matter how much he might try, controlling that is darn near impossible
Nice write up by Prisco about O'Brien.
Old 07-28-2014   #1496
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 115757 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm really excited about an OB lead football team.

I just hope that it all comes to fruition.
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014   #1497
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/...o-tom-coughlin
Nice write up by Prisco about O'Brien.
"Positive Pete" doing what he does... wearing out that chip on his shoulder...

Quote:
"maniacal ways"

"O'Brien has eliminated scooters and Segways" -- my understanding was the facilities insurance required this.

"limits where media members can watch practice"

"inflexible"

"a sign of control: It's O'Brien's iPod that plays the music"

"a control freak like O'Brien"

"I would love to say he's different than what he seems, but I never had a chance to sit down with him in a one-on-one setting. It didn't fit the schedule, I guess."

"Sprints after practice, Oklahoma drills...What's next, the old "bull in the ring" drill?"
Old 07-28-2014   #1498
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
"Positive Pete" doing what he does... wearing out that chip on his shoulder...
I came away from reading that article feeling much different than you appear to. It was rather supportive of O'Brien, if in a somewhat back-handed fashion.
Old 07-28-2014   #1499
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21314 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

It was a whiney article but with such little access, I'll appreciate the tasty morsels he gave us. I like that the head football coach blows the whistle.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014   #1500
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Prisco
The problem is that many limbs from that Parcells tree rotted when they broke off.
'cept, you know, Belichick, Coughlin, and Payton....6 rings between them.

As far as Belichick's coaching tree...seems like the law of averages would eventually kick in and he'd have one head coach from it find success. It might as well be O'Brien!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read