Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: How do you grade the first selection in the first round?
A 23 28.75%
B 31 38.75%
C 9 11.25%
D 2 2.50%
F 15 18.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2014   #221
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Grade - Round 3/1 Brennan Williams

There is no good NFL study that correlates players having microfracture surgery specifically with post surgical performance. But there is one such study of professional basketball players. In a 2009 American Journal of Sports Medicine study, 24 National Basketball Association (NBA) players who had microfracture knee surgery between 1997 and 2006 were evaluated. Data for their first full season before and after the surgery were used in the evaluation. The study found that 8 (33%) of the athletes never returned to play in the NBA. Fourteen players (58.3%) returned to the NBA for longer than one season. Thirteen players (76%) missed at least 1 game during their first full season back from surgery due to injuries to their operative knee. Comparisons within the groups suggested that points scored and minutes played were statistically significantly decreased. Performance variables (points, rebounds, assists, blocks, assists, and field goal percentage) declined between before and after the surgery. When the experimental group was compared to the controls, those players with microfracture knee surgery had a larger average decline in performance. Regression analysis showed that the experimental cases were 8.15 times less likely to remain in the NBA than the controls. The conclusions of the study were that players with a history of microfracture knee surgery are at risk of never returning to the NBA. These results may reflect the players abilities (8 previous all stars), position, age (mean age was 28.6 years old), and the severity of chondral lesions more than they do the success of microfracture. Also the study lacks information about the actual procedures. Lesion size and location do affect the outcome of the procedure. The study also found that the players that do return experience a decrease in minutes played directly due to the surgery. The players averaged less points, assists, and rebounds per game. They averaged 3.9 less points per game and 4.0% lower in field goal percentage. NBA players who have undergone microfracture knee surgery, when compared with a control group, have a greater decline in performance than the typical non-injured players.

Looking at typical patients in general, most clinical studies of the outcomes after microfracture in the knee show some improvement in knee function in 70% to 80% of patients. The long-term results vary. Almost all studies report significant improvement in the first year after surgery; many report a decline in activity levels after 1 year, but especially in elite athletes. Isolated studies have shown an occasional continuation of good results for several years.

Recent studies have shown that a body mass index greater than 30 kg/m(2). Williams at 6'6" and 317 pounds has a BMI of 36.6, results in markedly poorer prognosis. Besides, keep in mind that the constant grinding (against immense resistance) trauma at the knee joint of a football lineman cannot be equaled by any position of a basketball player by direct jumping impact or other sport-specific maneuvers.

In the end, it is quite probable that the poor prognosis of microfracture surgery in an NFL player is more of an indication of the injury rather than the surgery.

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 03-25-2014 at 09:42 AM. Reason: left out descriptive prognostic phrase after BMI listing
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #222
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I know it really doesn't pertain to his on the field performance (or maybe it does), but I just couldn't handle this cat on Twitter anymore. The dude lives WWE and what ever the Chinese animation is that's like Pokémon or something. Good grief
Old 03-25-2014   #223
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 251959 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I know it really doesn't pertain to his on the field performance (or maybe it does), but I just couldn't handle this cat on Twitter anymore. The dude lives WWE and what ever the Chinese animation is that's like Pokémon or something. Good grief
Man-child. It gets old.
Old 03-25-2014   #224
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Man-child. It gets old.

Role and Gender confusion?????

CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #225
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 295477 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I recall his post football wish being WWE/F whatever wrestler and not liking that.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014   #226
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 225723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post

well aaaaall-righty then...
yeah, that deserves one last
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #227
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 295477 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post
Jayson Braddock @JaysonBraddock
Quote:
#Texans have waived OT Brennan Williams with Failed physical designation per @FieldYates
Dr CND called this long ago due to the nature of microfracture surgery.
Old 07-21-2014   #228
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 251959 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Just realized I never voted on this poll so with my 20/20 hindsight I jumped on the "F" bandwagon!

Knew it all along boys! Knew it all along!
Old 07-21-2014   #229
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153912 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Just realized I never voted on this poll so with my 20/20 hindsight I jumped on the "F" bandwagon!

Knew it all along boys! Knew it all along!
bet your "sources" helped?
Old 07-21-2014   #230
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 263584 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

For some reason I didn't follow the crowd on this guy and only gave this pick a "C". I can't remember back that for as to why I gave him that grade though. Although if there were articles about him being injury prone back then that would have done it for me.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #231
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 46216 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Ha! This is funny. I voted "F" back on 04-26-2013 when this guy was drafted.

Of course I also voted for Mt. Vesuvius to erupt and for the Titanic to sink. I'm getting good at this.

Next I vote to send a few nukes and blow up Pluto because it's no longer a planet.

Our 2013 draft__________________________(fill in the blank).
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #232
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13708 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Why does every 2nd and 3rd round pick in this franchise history end up being a epic disaster.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #233
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
Why does every 2nd and 3rd round pick in this franchise history end up being a epic disaster.
I donno about why, but we had the first pick in the draft for the 3rd time in about a decade. This is what happens when you build your team through the draft and then outsmart yourself and pick guys nobody else grades that high because your system is has the smartest guy in the room syndrome. Weak GM influence, Coaches making picks, no top-down leadership. It's yakety-sax.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #234
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91085 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Was a fan of his and had big hopes for him, but the injury always put things in serious doubt. Very unfortunate.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #235
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
Rick Smith & Charley Casserly

Next question
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014   #236
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97064 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post

xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014   #237
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
bet your "sources" helped?
Absolutely. I cannot of course divulge those sources but suffice to say they are terribly accurate.
Old 07-22-2014   #238
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Definition of a bust, drafted because of need & potential!

Best wishes moving forward with his football career.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014   #239
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63941 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

This would be easier to swallow if our second chance at a third round pick wasn't Sam Montgomery.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read