Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-30-2014   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 347973 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Walter Football: Houston Texans Rookies Forecast

Houston Texans Rookies Forecast
WalterFootball.com

Quote:
Solid Starter
Louis Nix, Notre Dame, DT - Round 3
Nix could get consideration for the boom pick as well. Over the past three seasons, he was been one of the best run-stuffing defensive tackles in college football. In 2012 Manti Te'o got all the attention, but Nix ate up blockers to free up Te'o, who made plays off the disruption that Nix caused up front.

The 6-foot-2, 311-pound Nix is a...

Most Likely To Bust
Xavier Su'a-Filo, G, UCLA - Round 2
This was a tough selection because I don't think any of the Texans picks in rounds 1-3 have legitimate bust potential. In fact, Su'a-Filo could be considered for solid starter or boom pick. He looks like a safe bet to develop into quality offensive lineman. However I have to pick one, so I'll go with Su'a-Filo because of his body.

WalterFootball.com heard from league sources that Su'a-Filo has a bad...

Potential Boom Pick
Jadeveon Clowney, DE/OLB, South Carolina - Round 1
Everybody agrees that the sky is the limit for Jadeveon Clowney. The 6-foot-5, 266-pounder has natural strength with the speed of a wide receiver. He has the...

Future Depth Player
Andre Hal, CB, Vanderbilt - Round 7
This was a tough call because I think the Texans landed a number of good depth players in the late rounds. Defensive end Jeoffrey Pagan (Alabama) could become a starter at five-technique in hurry with Antonio Smith being let go, and fullback Jay Prosch (Auburn) should be Houston's long-term starter. That left me with running back Alfred Blue (LSU), safety Lonnie Ballentine (Memphis) and Hal. I decided to go with Hal because he probably won't develop into a starter, but he could be a valuable nickel cornerback and depth player.

Last year, the nickel corner position manned by Bryce McCain got the Texans defense killed. Hal will have to compete with Brandon Harris for the position, and that competition looks wide open. Harris was a second-rounder in 2011, but hasn't proven to be a reliable contributor. Starter Kareem Jackson is in the final year of his contract, while Jonathan Joseph is 30 years old. Thus, the Texans will be looking for some young cornerbacks to emerge. Hal (5-10, 188) played against elite competition in the SEC the past three seasons. After some development, he could turn into a quality nickel back to go against slot receivers.
Old 06-30-2014   #2
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 115757 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Walter Football: Houston Texans Rookies Forecast

I would have rotated Clowney, X, and Nix up one spot..

I like all three, and think all can be studs...but if I had to label them I would go Nix as the potential Boom, X as the solid starter and Clowney as the more likely to bust.

Clowney...The position, the spot where he was chosen...The injuries...questions about motor/desire....

X was chosen top of second...I think at worst he's a solid player...

And then Nix who had 1st round grades at one point. If you watch his film dude is super disruptive. Helped Te'o be considered for Heisman...He's lost weight...Playing in the ideal defense for him next to the best defensive player in the game in Watt...
xtruroyaltyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014   #3
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 347973 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I would have rotated...
I would've swapped X with Nix, III.
Old 06-30-2014   #4
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I would've swapped X with Nix, III.
That's what I would have done as well.
Old 06-30-2014   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 173590 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I doubt Nix will ever see 311 pounds. Hopefully all three will be starters for long time. We need to focus on drafting two corners and at least one safety even if all in OP are good. Throw another ILB in and that would be a good 2015 draft.
Old 07-01-2014   #6
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 8706 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

Potential Boom pllayer— Savage (we better hope so)
Most likely Busts— Nix, Clowney
Solid Starters— X, Prosch
Reliable Backups— Blue, Fiedo
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014   #7
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

2014 NFL Season Preview: Houston Texans (Last Year: 2-14)
Quote:
2014 Houston Texans Offense:
No one could have predicted the Texans bottoming out like they did in 2013. The primary reason for that occurring was Matt Schaub's ineptitude. The long-time Texan quarterback self-destructed, setting the NFL record for consecutive games with a pick-six. He lost all confidence, and after Houston fans showed up to his house and harassed him, it was clear he couldn't return to the team. Both Schaub and Gary Kubiak left, giving way to former Penn State head coach Bill O'Brien.

O'Brien proved himself as an offensive mastermind in Happy Valley when he transformed the pedestrian Matt McGloin into a...

2014 Houston Texans Defense:
The big story with the Texans is what they did with the first pick in the 2014 NFL Draft. While the early thought process was that they might take a quarterback, they opted instead...

2014 Houston Texans Schedule and Intangibles:
The Texans have developed a pretty strong homefield advantage at Reliant Stadium in recent years. They were 13-4 as hosts in 2011 and 2012 if a Week 17 loss to the Titans in which the starters sat is excluded. The 2013 season should be discarded because it was an anomaly.

Bill O'Brien needs to fix the special teams. This area was a mess under Gary Kubiak. The Texans were outgained on punt and kickoff returns in 2013.

Randy Bullock, a fifth-round pick in 2012, missed several clutch kicks early in the season. He was nearly exiled from Houston, but he eventually found his way. He was 26-of-35 overall, but drilled 12 consecutive attempts to close out the year.

Shane Lechler did a good job as the team's punter. He was 14th in net average, but managed to finish third in kicks placed inside the 20.

The Texans play the NFC East and AFC North, so their schedule isn't very difficult. They have some tough games on the slate (mainly the Colts twice and Steelers on the road), but most of their 2014 contests are winnable.

2014 Houston Texans Positional Rankings (1-5 stars):

2014 Houston Texans Analysis: The Texans will not be going 2-14 again. Last year was an aberration. They were in many close games - they nearly defeated the Seahawks, Colts, Patriots, Chiefs, others - before things fell apart for them, the coach was fired and many of the players quit. Houston has enough talent to rebound. The team won't be good enough to unseat the Colts, but Bill O'Brien will be able to rebuild this organization to be a perennial playoff contender once again.

Projection: 8-8 (2nd in AFC South)
http://walterfootball.com/offseason2014hou.php
Sponsored links
Old 07-05-2014   #8
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 57330 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegara View Post
Potential Boom pllayer— Savage (we better hope so)
Most likely Busts— Nix, Clowney
Solid Starters— X, Prosch
Reliable Backups— Blue, Fiedo
Nix a likely bust? Dude you're an idiot.
Old 07-05-2014   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 173590 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
not trying to speak for him but I think the injury to Nix is what is suggesting a possible bust and that is a legitimate concern.
Old 07-05-2014   #10
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 8706 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
Thanks a lot. I think I'm a little bit crazy, but hardly an idiot.
They aren't rookies, but we added 2 pretty good safeties to beef up a secondary that was bad with a capital double D.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014   #11
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

I think X is our least likely to bust and was my favorite pick in the draft.
Old 07-06-2014   #12
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegara View Post
Thanks a lot. I think I'm a little bit crazy, but hardly an idiot.
They aren't rookies, but we added 2 pretty good safeties to beef up a secondary that was bad with a capital double D.
Different people look at the term "bust" in different ways.

For me, as the rounds go by, the expectations for a player drop.

I liked Nix as a draft pick in the 2nd round. I expected him to go in the first. If he had been drafted in the first, then he would have had a high bust potential for me both because of that injury and the position he plays (early round DTs frequently bust).

But with the 83rd pick? The expectations are, or should be, so low at that point that even if he has a few starts over a few years, he shouldn't be considered a bust. I mean, he's a 3rd round pick. At that point, you just hope he's going to be a solid starter.

If he lives up to his potential, he'll be a Darnell Dockett-type of steal.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I think X is our least likely to bust and was my favorite pick in the draft.
really good pick and our OGs should improve our tackle play both sides. QB and Foster should be happy.
Old 07-06-2014   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 57901 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Solid Starter: CJ Fiedorowicz Stud in OB's offense day one.
Most likely to bust: Louis Nix injury concerns like Clowney but because of his size it will be more of a struggle to overcome.
Potential Boom Pick: Tom Savage 4th rd. steal.
Future Depth Player: Alfred Blue can develop nicely behind Foster.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

I liked Nix as a draft pick in the 2nd round. I expected him to go in the first. If he had been drafted in the first, then he would have had a high bust potential for me both because of that injury and the position he plays (early round DTs frequently bust).

But with the 83rd pick? The expectations are, or should be, so low at that point that even if he has a few starts over a few years, he shouldn't be considered a bust. I mean, he's a 3rd round pick. At that point, you just hope he's going to be a solid starter.

I do agree that expectations drop each round but I also evaluate on what the priority of the need of the position filled by the pick and who else was available. This was what caused me to be an immediate critic of selecting Kareem Jackson. As with Clowney and X, we cannot afford to give them 2-3 seasons to become good especially as we have almost zilch behind them.
Old 07-07-2014   #16
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 115757 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

Yep. That's exactly why I put them where I put them.
xtruroyaltyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014   #17
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 270486 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I do agree that expectations drop each round but I also evaluate on what the priority of the need of the position filled by the pick and who else was available. This was what caused me to be an immediate critic of selecting Kareem Jackson. As with Clowney and X, we cannot afford to give them 2-3 seasons to become good especially as we have almost zilch behind them.
But does that definition/criteria determine that the guy is a bust or is it proof that the team drafted poorly; i.e., "reached" as some would put it?

Then again, I guess you could say those two things are equivalent.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read