Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Thumbs up or down on Tom Savage at 4.135
Up 112 83.58%
Down 22 16.42%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2014   #481
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307012 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Selection 4.135: Tom Savage QB

QB Savage on making reps count
Quote:
Rookie quarterback Tom Savage spoke about the coaching staff, making his reps count and more in this video
Gotta like a QB who's sticking with his "terrible black" 2007 Chevy Malibu college car.

Old 06-13-2014   #482
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 237388 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
QB Savage on making reps count

Gotta like a QB who's sticking with his "terrible black" 2007 Chevy Malibu college car.

Wait....
A BRAVES ballcap!?!
Cut him!!
Old 06-14-2014   #483
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 71588 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Wait....
A BRAVES ballcap!?!
Cut him!!
That's funny, my college car looked much worse... but I wasn't a poor athlete... just a working stiff.
Old 07-03-2014   #484
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307012 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Tom Savage @tomsavage03
Quote:
She said YES! Luckiest man in the world to marry my dream girl. Wouldn't be where I am at today without this beautiful girl. She is the most important person in my life... I love you Catherine.… http://instagram.com/p/p-IsZzx4SL/

Congrats!
Old 07-03-2014   #485
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 130706 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Tom Savage @tomsavage03

Congrats!
Marriage? Are you kidding me?

Old 08-17-2014   #486
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Being reported that Savage did not know he would be going in so early in the game...
Brian T Smith @ChronBrianSmith
Quote:
Tom Savage didn't know he was following Fitzpatrick until his name was called
And he looked it with a deer-in-the-headlights expression. This one will need time to marinate before he's ready for the "big grill", IMO. Not unexpected with his history and 4th/5th draft slot. Drops his eyes when he moves in the pocket... gotta fix that.
Old 08-17-2014   #487
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101400 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know what to make of savage other than right now he doesn't seem good enough.
Old 08-17-2014   #488
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I don't know what to make of savage other than right now he doesn't seem good enough.
Well, pretty much the same as you'd think of him before. A QB that has all the tools but isn't fast enough through his reads and lacks eye discipline and pocket awareness. It was clear from the get go that he was a project. He didn't play a lot of football before and he never played longer than 1 year in the same system. He needs time to get comfortable - when he got comfortable in Pittsburgh he played some great ball.

This is a typical: Give me the QB with all the tools and I will teach him the rest - guy. The opposite from a guy like Bridgewater, the guy that has shown that he can play within his limitations (size, armstrength, frame), but that can't improve on his limitations.
Old 08-17-2014   #489
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101400 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
Well, pretty much the same as you'd think of him before. A QB that has all the tools but isn't fast enough through his reads and lacks eye discipline and pocket awareness.
What I meant is that I have no feel for how good he'll be.

I didn't mean that I didn't know what he is currently.
Old 08-17-2014   #490
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34563 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

He played like a rookie QB. I didn't expect much because he's
basically been asked to sink or swim so far.
(and that's why he's had trouble moving the team)

I think next year will be his true litmus test.

If he makes the same second year move that Keenum did under
Gary then there will be a legit competition amongst the QB's

Right now, I think that BoB has to keep all three on the roster.
The o-line is too suspect to imagine that Fitz will be healthy all year
Old 08-17-2014   #491
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
What I meant is that I have no feel for how good he'll be...
Yeah, you can't know until he masters the playbook and gets over the jitters to just react. Needs time and coaching up... which should lead to confidence. Would have loved to see a heart rate monitor on him from right when OB said, "Savage, get in there" through his first half playing time.
Old 08-17-2014   #492
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 237388 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Being reported that Savage did not know he would be going in so early in the game...
Brian T Smith @ChronBrianSmith
And he looked it with a deer-in-the-headlights expression. This one will need time to marinate before he's ready for the "big grill", IMO. Not unexpected with his history and 4th/5th draft slot. Drops his eyes when he moves in the pocket... gotta fix that.
Soooo if this really is O'Brien's future franchise guy, that means we're ride with Fitzy for this year AND next year??

....or do we go ahead and spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on a QB next draft?
Old 08-17-2014   #493
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34563 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly, I think the reason Savage came in second had little to do
with "surprising him" with a game time decision.

I think that BoB looked at the reaction of the fans from the last game,
and decided that winning this one was more important than the
average preseason game.

At the time, it was 7-0 Texans. I believe (though he would never admit
it) that he was keeping Keenum for the end of the game in case the
Texans needed to rally to win -- which is more likely with Case than
Tom at this point.

It didn't end up mattering because the defense and special teams
were so much better this week than last.

I did like the air raid plays with Keenum, Labhart, and EZ. Shows that
BoB isn't as "my way or the highway" as I originally thought..
Old 08-17-2014   #494
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This.
Old 08-17-2014   #495
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Soooo if this really is O'Brien's future franchise guy, that means we're ride with Fitzy for this year AND next year??

Hard to say right now. Really depends on how this season goes. As everyone knows, what you think you need at the beginning of the year doesn't always turn out to be what you need at the end...And even then, come draft time things change.

But I definitely wouldn't rule out drafting a QB in rd 1 at this point.
Old 08-17-2014   #496
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Yeah, you can't know until he masters the playbook and gets over the jitters to just react. Needs time and coaching up... which should lead to confidence. Would have loved to see a heart rate monitor on him from right when OB said, "Savage, get in there" through his first half playing time.
You've got some guys who are chomping at the bit to play. They're ultimate competitors & looking to capitalize on any opportunity to prove they should be in the game... playing with the first team... he best at their position.

Savage, instead of being ready to go, was looking to kick back & enjoy some rays through the first half & it showed.

That's the conversation I would be having with Tom Savage. I gave him an opportunity to impress me & he failed. Don't let it happen again.
Old 08-17-2014   #497
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
You've got some guys who are chomping at the bit to play. They're ultimate competitors & looking to capitalize on any opportunity to prove they should be in the game... playing with the first team... he best at their position.

Savage, instead of being ready to go, was looking to kick back & enjoy some rays through the first half & it showed.

That's the conversation I would be having with Tom Savage. I gave him an opportunity to impress me & he failed. Don't let it happen again.
Geez, you are tough on 4th round QBs... he came in and BoB ran the ball - and then ran it some more. He didn't have many opportunities. He ended up with 5 throws, completing 4 of them. Yeah those were short throws and yeah, he didn't look good or comfortable out there - but that's why he was a 4th round pick. Everybody knew he would need some time.

Of Keenums 6 completions (12 throws) I count 3 screens off the top of my head - KMart just did a lot with them after the catch.

Clearly Keenum is and should be ahead of Savage, but that was expected and is totally fine. Neither had a very good game and both need some time in Bobs system.
Old 08-17-2014   #498
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Geez, you are tough on 4th round QBs...
It's all about expectations. Need to set them high from the get go.
Old 08-17-2014   #499
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Of Keenums 6 completions (12 throws) I count 3 screens off the top of my head - KMart just did a lot with them after the catch.
The plays to Martin were considered runs and do not count towards Keenum's stats. Really don't like that play, as a miscue would become a fumble rather than an incompletion.

All the talk of Savage possibly starting this year, or even backing up, was wishful thinking. He is raw. Savage had fewer starts in college than Bortles, Bridewater, and Manziel. All underclassmen. And he's 2-3 years older. Just seems like an odd choice for a project QB. I'd like to see something from him that would indicate he's worth the effort. I'm sure he will get at least a half in the final preseason game. But right now, Savage doesn't look like he's worth a roster spot. Maybe he gets a hangnail in that game and gets a redshirt year?
Old 08-17-2014   #500
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
I think that BoB looked at the reaction of the fans from the last game,
and decided that winning this one was more important than the
average preseason game.
I don't think anything O'Brien does is based upon fan reaction.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read