Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-31-2014   #341
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Keenum, is this another case of Chris Myers and KJax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Great Post.

I haven't given up on Newton either. Much like the QB position I hope the RT position is an open competition and may the best man win.
Exactly and I believe that's what we'll see. I'm looking forward to seeing how this all plays out just like everyone else.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014   #342
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
The way I saw it was that TJ came in for week 5 and 6 when the O was pretty much intact ( and he still managed to throw 2 INTs with O TDs and went nowhere). And when Schaub came in for Keenum, the play-calling seemed to take a dramatic change..and still he managed 5 INTs, several sacks and a pathetic QB rating in those last 3 games.
No, that's pretty much the way it went, except that Case made his share of mistakes as well. Schaub made mistakes, but moved the ball. Tj made mistakes but moved the ball. Case made mistakes.

You're not going to get me to defend Tj & Matt like they deserve to start, they don't. But that's not the point.

Play calling dramatically changed, lol... yeah like they started to call plays where receivers got open in time & hot routes replaced the blitzer... no, same plays. One guy knew the plays like the back of his hand, the other guy didn't.
Old 06-02-2014   #343
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

chron.com
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014   #344
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
Quote:
Case Keenum said he's seen improvement in Tom Savage. But said calling plays is tough in the NFL. #Texans

Case Keenum said he might call Andre Johnson to get out and throw together during this 4 week break. Said Dre makes him a better player.
Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
Quote:
Keenum said he pinpointed his decision-making as something he needed to improve from last year. #Texans

Case Keenum said he'll call some guys to throw to in the next four weeks. Will he call Andre? "I might," he said smiling. #Texans
Old 06-30-2014   #345
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

For those hoping for Hoyer to displace Keenum from the roster through a trade. Doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Quote:
The Browns want to sign quarterback Brian Hoyer to an extension. Hoyer’s agent, Joe Linta, believes it’s too early to figure out Hoyer’s value.

So when will the time be right to work something out? Linta tells PFT via email that two future dates loom for assessing his value: November 1 and the end of the season.

Implied in that position is that Hoyer, who enters the final year of his current deal, won’t be inclined to agree to a new contract before November 1. Of course, that doesn’t stop the Browns from making a bird-in-the-hand offer that Hoyer will have a hard time rejecting, especially as he continues to recover from a torn ACL. Despite any reluctance to do a deal prematurely, there’s surely a number that would get Hoyer’s attention.

Ultimately, the question is whether the Browns view Hoyer as a potential starter or as the Kirk Cousins-style understudy to a young, mobile quarterback who may get injured sooner than later. The decision to trade from No. 26 to No. 22 to get Johnny Manziel strongly suggests that Manziel will be the starter at some point. So what will they pay for a guy who possibly will be the stop-gap starter to begin the season and the break-glass option in the event that Manziel breaks something once he gets the job?

Whatever the Browns envision, if they choose to put their best deal on the table now, Hoyer possibly will take it after weighing the pros and cons and realizing that the two in the bush may not be all that easy to catch.

If Hoyer ends up starting for the entire season and playing well enough to keep Manziel on the bench, it could be very difficult to keep Hoyer beyond 2014, since someone else in a quarterback-starved league will take notice of Hoyer’s performance and dangle the kind of money that suggests he’ll compete to be the starter in a new city.
link
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014   #346
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
For those hoping for Hoyer to displace Keenum from the roster through a trade. Doesn't look like it's going to happen.

link
Doc I am mentally exhausted but I read this as he should be traded now to get something for him UNLESS team thinks he will keep Manziel on bench. I just don't see him getting huge deal to remain in that town. Also don't see him wanting a first round, fan fav breathing down his neck.
Old 07-01-2014   #347
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

More challenges await McGloin with Raiders
Quote:
This time last year, the West Scranton native and Penn State graduate was a rookie with the Oakland Raiders trying to learn the intricacies of being a quarterback in the National Football League.

Now, McGloin is a year older, a year wiser and knows what to expect.

“I’m definitely a lot further along than I was last year,” McGloin said. “Things have gotten a lot easier in terms of the playbook and stuff like that. So I feel real good where I’m at.”

One thing hasn’t changed for McGloin, however. That is the challenge of having to prove himself again.
“All I can do is stay positive, control what I can control and make the most of my reps and my opportunities when I get in there,” McGloin said. “Everything else is out of my hands. I’m just at the point where you’ve got to protect your job.”

Last season, McGloin made his way up the Raiders depth chart. He went from undrafted free agent to starting quarterback by midseason.

Appearing in seven games (six starts), he threw for 1,547 yards, eight touchdowns and eight interceptions.

Looking back, McGloin felt he did some good things, but could have done better and made his share of rookie mistakes.
“You can’t allow yourself to make the same mistakes you made last year,” McGloin said. “I think I’ve been doing a pretty good job of not doing a lot of those things I did last year throughout OTAs and minicamp.

“You notice it when you watch yourself on film and you talk to your QB coach. They’re seeing progress. It’s a production-based business. You’ve got to continue to produce and play well if you want to stick around.”
Old 07-01-2014   #348
Troy Chapman
Veteran

Rep Power: 33633 Troy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

link
I don't think Hoyer will re-sign unless he gets similar money to Cassel ($5m per year). I think he is going to bet on himself this year.
Troy Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014   #349
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 137393 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Chapman View Post
I don't think Hoyer will re-sign unless he gets similar money to Cassel ($5m per year). I think he is going to bet on himself this year.
Nah, no way he signs. I think he wants a shot at starting somewhere that's not Cleveland.

Then again, that goes for every QB in the NFL
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014   #350
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Chapman View Post
The reason for my original post is to point out that it is unlikely that Hoyer is going anywhere before at least after Nov. and therefore is unlikely to displace Keenum.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014   #351
Troy Chapman
Veteran

Rep Power: 33633 Troy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The reason for my original post is to point out that it is unlikely that Hoyer is going anywhere before at least after Nov. and therefore is unlikely to displace Keenum.
I know.
Troy Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014   #352
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Quote:
The Browns want to sign quarterback Brian Hoyer to an extension. Hoyer’s agent, Joe Linta, believes it’s too early to figure out Hoyer’s value.
link

Wow... JFF is doing wonders for Hoyer's career.
Old 07-03-2014   #353
bayoudreamn
Veteran

Rep Power: 6383 bayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
I agree with this, the play calling was not at all equal between the 3. So hard to compare really. When Schaub was in Gary opened the whole play book, when TJ and Case were in he had about 5 plays he would call it seemed.
Supposedly, the playcalling is/was based on what plays the QB was comfortable with...yada, yada. I don't know how to compare this realistically since we don't know.
Old 07-03-2014   #354
bayoudreamn
Veteran

Rep Power: 6383 bayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
and spot on Doc. I can get on board with everything you said here except the "punter that even I had to turn away from anytime he attempted a FG" part. I actually think Lechler could have done just as well or better.

Joking aside, this is what I'd like to respond to :"a Wade Smith who had to be baby sat by Brown, a cripple at RT, a newbie at RG"

Especially the bolded. It was discussed time and again that Brown's play was compromised by his toe injury and I'm very sure that played a large part in his play declining last year but many times you could actually see him leaving his man early to pick up a rusher freed up by a whiff on Wade Smith's part. Smith was absolutely terrible last season. As to the bolded. Newton played hurt all season and never really got into 'game shape' I don't believe. What little has been said about him this season has ALL been POSITIVE as far as what I've read and heard from the coaching staff. He's healthy for the first time in a long time, he came into camp in great shape, lost fat and added muscle and is moving much better.

I'm more than likely all alone in this but I hope Newton can get his playbook down and show us what the last staff thought they saw in him. I know Q is right there waiting in the wings so the best man will get the job and it's exciting knowing it won't be just handed to Newt because his name is first on the depth chart.

I'm excited to see how everything works out.
You aren't alone on this....I'm in total agreement with everything you said.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read