Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-14-2014   #1401
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Texans hire Bill O'Brien as HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I'll believe it when I see it. Anything less than 8-8 against this schedule would mean all this is the honeymoon chatter. I'll believe the culture has been changed when we win those tough close games.

Until then, they're still soft. All this yak about tough & culture change reminds me of the letterman jackets without the props.
Old 06-15-2014   #1402
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'll believe it when I see it. Anything less than 8-8 against this schedule would mean all this is the honeymoon chatter. I'll believe the culture has been changed when we win those tough close games.

Until then, they're still soft. All this yak about tough & culture change reminds me of the letterman jackets without the props.
TK, have a hard day Buddy? It may be just chatter, we'll all see it when/if the implosion occurs. He's certainly a hard ass, right now. That's what I personally have been concerned about but I think right now it's a big front. He'll always have a hard edge but I think you'll see a different guy and get different feedback on him.

Just guessin'.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014   #1403
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

It would certainly be nice if someone made a suggestion that when OB has a conference, the Texans would shell out for a microphone arrangement that would allow the watcher/listener to hear the questions presented by the reporters.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014   #1404
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
It would certainly be nice if someone made a suggestion that when OB has a conference, the Texans would shell out for a microphone arrangement that would allow the watcher/listener to hear the questions presented by the reporters.
Yeah, that would just be unheard-of-nice.

HJam72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014   #1405
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30074 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Fair point. But, at the very least, we will see some kind of hardening of this team. Teams tend to take on the personality of its head coach. The way O'Brien comes off, I'm looking forward to a no-bs football team.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014   #1406
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm trying to temper my expectations for O'Brien, but I have to say I like the way he operates. Even if he flames out tragically, he has a vision, a plan and a well thought-out and serious approach to it.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014   #1407
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Fair point. But, at the very least, we will see some kind of hardening of this team. Teams tend to take on the personality of its head coach. The way O'Brien comes off, I'm looking forward to a no-bs football team.
Me too... I just think all this reporting about changes to our team's culture is more wishful thinking than actual reporting.

Andre hasn't even shown up yet.
Old 06-21-2014   #1408
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Me too... I just think all this reporting about changes to our team's culture is more wishful thinking than actual reporting.

Andre not showing up yet hardly has anything to do with the change of the team. AJ is one man, and he made his mind up before OTAs. I think we will see a more physical team on Sundays than we saw in the past.
Old 06-21-2014   #1409
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314353 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Andre not showing up yet hardly has anything to do with the change of the team. AJ is one man, and he made his mind up before OTAs. I think we will see a more physical team on Sundays than we saw in the past.
There is no doubt the team will be different from what we've been seeing the last few years of the Kubiak regime. I think physical is one of those things, I think a much more aggressive and risk taking defense and a more basic by-the-books offense is in store for us this season.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014   #1410
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 87983 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I really don't think the culture is that much different. We had a culture of hard work set by the owner and it's still there. Now there is optimism under OB which was also there only one year ago under Kubiak with the exception of those anticipating failure at every turn because of their own personality.

That will continue under any coach because it's not about the coach or the team. It's about the different natures of fans. Some are always optimistic, some are always pessimistic and some fall in the middle to varying degrees. I lean toward the optimistic myself, but not blindly so.
Marshall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014   #1411
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 87983 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
There is no doubt the team will be different from what we've been seeing the last few years of the Kubiak regime. I think physical is one of those things, I think a much more aggressive and risk taking defense and a more basic by-the-books offense is in store for us this season.
I always wondered why the debate has been between working harder vs working smarter. I prefer working harder AND smarter.
Marshall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014   #1412
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I always wondered why the debate has been between working harder vs working smarter. I prefer working harder AND smarter.
^^^^This. And evidently OB does also.
Old 06-21-2014   #1413
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
We were pretty physical when Kubiak's team was healthy... think way back to Duane Brown cracking James Harrison's skull. Eric Winston mauling folks on the right side. & Arian leading the league in rushing TDs.

The next year, there were some growing pains, but we still ran the ball when we wanted to run the ball, all the way up to a 12-4 season. We were a very physical team on both sides of the ball until Newton got hurt in Detroit & Cushing got hurt, again.

Just getting a healthy Newton & replacing Wade could very well make this the physical team we used to be....... & finally finding a replacement for Vonta Leech.

Remember all the, "We're not soft!!" talk? They don't need to get more "physical" they were already a physical team, that's what I'm trying to say. Meet the new team, same as the old team.

OB will have done something when they win more of those 7 point or less games than not, or when they're not embarrassed in Prime Time, or when they hand someone their arse when they start talking about, "My house"
Old 06-21-2014   #1414
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

A "gentle hint."

Quote:
Jayson Braddock @JaysonBraddock 36s

"I advised all the rookies to be around quite a bit" O'Brien on if Clowney will be around during this break.
Quote:
Drew Dougherty @DoughertyDrew 8m

O'Brien: Full contact practices will start 3 days into #Texans training camp.
Old 06-21-2014   #1415
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I really don't think the culture is that much different. We had a culture of hard work set by the owner and it's still there. Now there is optimism under OB which was also there only one year ago under Kubiak with the exception of those anticipating failure at every turn because of their own personality.

That will continue under any coach because it's not about the coach or the team. It's about the different natures of fans. Some are always optimistic, some are always pessimistic and some fall in the middle to varying degrees. I lean toward the optimistic myself, but not blindly so.
If the culture of the team is the same then why did McNair want a HC that would bring a tougher team. Why is it last offseason McNair said he wantedcthe team to be tougher meantally and physically.

The differences in these HC's philosophies is Kubiak was from the Walsh tree, (Mentally sharp, very little hitting) vs the Parcells,BB tree. BOB (Lots of hitting and an emphasis on ST's)
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014   #1416
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
If the culture of the team is the same then why did McNair want a HC that would bring a tougher team. Why is it last offseason McNair said he wantedcthe team to be tougher meantally and physically.

The differences in these HC's philosophies is Kubiak was from the Walsh tree, (Mentally sharp, very little hitting) vs the Parcells,BB tree. BOB (Lots of hitting and an emphasis on ST's)
They're still in shorts... ain't no culture change.

Hopefully there will be, but little league lockers is all we've got so far.
Old 06-23-2014   #1417
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Mic'd Up: Bill O'Brien
Quote:
Texans HC Bill O'Brien was mic'd up before a minicamp practice and shared his taste in music, and more.
Old 06-23-2014   #1418
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 163027 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah he is just like Belichek.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014   #1419
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
As a whole players are happy about the changes because things are getting tougher and on some level the guys who were in Houston last season know they need that...
http://espn.go.com/blog/houston-texa...n-for-optimism
Old 07-01-2014   #1420
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That quote says that we had no real leaders in the locker room to demand that type of effort/discipline/toughness during last season. Perpetual winners have that discipline and drive to excel from within themselves.

And since O'Brien hasn't really brought in anyone of note (and that's stretching it) but Fitzpatrick....
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read