Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2014   #1201
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 21560 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Just got some disturbing news about A Johnson

109 catches 1400 yards. Yup definitely in decline we should ship that bum out of here, but then nobody would want him on their team with his bad attitude and poor production.
Old 06-17-2014   #1202
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
109 catches 1400 yards. Yup definitely in decline we should ship that bum out of here, but then nobody would want him on their team with his bad attitude and poor production.
I did not assert that he had a bad attitude or that he was unproductive. As I wrote earlier, I equate him to be a similar receiver at this stage of his career to A. Boldin, who is an excellent receiver as well. However, neither he nor AJ (at this stage of his career) have the explosive speed and playmaking ability to justify a $16 million cap hit.
Old 06-17-2014   #1203
cstyle42
Veteran

Rep Power: 5283 cstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A lot Texans fan are just plain slow... Andre Johnson is still a beast.
Old 06-17-2014   #1204
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Rep Power: 21560 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I did not assert that he had a bad attitude or that he was unproductive. As I wrote. arlier, I equate him to be a similar receiver at this stage of his career to A. Boldin, who is an excellent receiver as well. However, neither he nor AJ (at this stage of his career) have the explosive speed and playmaking ability to justify a $16 million cap hit.
Boldin put up similar stats sure IN 2005! When you talk about speed do you mean like Deandre Hopkins fast? Lol
Old 06-17-2014   #1205
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How many TDs would Dre have with a strong armed COMPETENT QB? How does that stat reflect negatively on Dre?
Speculate for us?

How many more TD's would AJ have had with a WR like Boldin opposite him? How many more TD's/catches would AJ have had if Kubiak wasn't his HC? All of this is just speculation.
Old 06-17-2014   #1206
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Speculate for us?

How many more TD's would AJ have had with a WR like Boldin opposite him? How many more TD's/catches would AJ have had if Kubiak wasn't his HC? All of this is just speculation.
IF AJ had a QB like Brees or Manning i believe he would have close to 100 or more for his career. I mean he was and still is one of the best in the game
Old 06-17-2014   #1207
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Boldin put up similar stats sure IN 2005! When you talk about speed do you mean like Deandre Hopkins fast? Lol
I would imagine that Posey is our most explosive WR, particularly if you focus on speed. I love AJ, and I have no desire to tear the man down. I'm simply stating what is clear. Watch footage of him 4-5 years ago and compare it to the last couple seasons. Not only has his speed diminished but his ability to break tackles, to accelerate have also diminished. It happens. He has played for a long time and been the center of the offense for most of that time, suffering injuries like the PCL and detached hamstring. Despite that, he is still an excellent WR.

Other than wanting to operate in the realm of reality, my only point is that a $16+ million cap hit is very expensive for a descending WR (descending from a very tall peak, I would agree).
Old 06-17-2014   #1208
JRingo
Rookie

Rep Power: 1978 JRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respected

Needs to go. Cancerous attitude is no bueno IMO.
Old 06-17-2014   #1209
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
IF AJ had a QB like Brees or Manning i believe he would have close to 100 or more for his career. I mean he was and still is one of the best in the game
I think you are likely correct. None of that would change the fact, though, that his skills are declining due to age and injury. If this was 2010, I would be panicked about a holdout by AJ. It isn't... I doubt that New Orleans, Denver, or New England has any interest in trading for him at this point, even though he would only count about $11-$12 million against the cap the next two seasons instead of the $16-$17 million he will count against the Texans' cap.
Old 06-17-2014   #1210
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 61397 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
That's really good but somewhere you could have mentioned beating the hell out of Finnegan .
It's there, last line of 2nd paragraph.

No way one can forget that.
Old 06-17-2014   #1211
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRingo View Post
I need to go. My Cancerous attitude is no bueno.
Fify
Old 06-17-2014   #1212
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Speculate for us?

I'd guess that Dre had to wait on about 20 would-be TD passes during the Schaub era. Like literally stop running and catch the ball. Sprinkle in another 10 on miscellaneous screw ups and 30 more TD's would be my answer.

Wish they would have just tossed it up for him more in the red zone. Wonder what a cannon armed and accurate QB would have brought to an offense with a prime #80. Weak coaching and mediocre to bad QB play might cost him an early trip to Canton. (I think he'll get in eventually thus the importance for him to be on a team that will be able to utilize him effectively and solidify his legacy in football)
Old 06-18-2014   #1213
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 8295 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Agreed ... I also believe that Kubiak and the schemes/playcalling had a lot to do with his lack of TDs.
Old 06-18-2014   #1214
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 136056 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans didn't honor Yates contract.
Old 06-18-2014   #1215
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 158369 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Texans didn't honor Yates contract.
Yep, they're a bunch of quitters.
Old 06-18-2014   #1216
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Lots of things could have been "if" ... Fact is, AJ has put up amazing yardage statistics with pretty low TD numbers for that yardage. If his ratio was within the same ballpark as some of the other elite WRs, then I'd be more inclined to buy the "if" argument for TDs. He has the stats he has, and the Texans have had more losing seasons with him than they have had winning seasons. If a QB is around for losses, he's not good enough and needs to be canned, right? Well, either the same goes for the All World Elite WR or you just concede that WRs aren't all that important to team success. Either way, it's not worth a 60 page thread.

If he shows up, good. If he doesn't, good. Whatever.
Old 06-18-2014   #1217
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
He is a quitter, and I never asserted he displayed the character flaw before. You are making that up. It's not about what I asserted, it's about what AJ asserted when he signed that contract.

AJ gave his word when he signed his contract. I am sure if you read it, it lays out that he is expected to show up to OTA's and camp. In fact, as it has been reported, he has forfeited a 1 million dollar roster bonus for not showing up, plus he will be fined nearly 70k for missing the 3 day mandatory camp. So yeah, he gave his word and even signed on the dotted line to back that up.

I fail to see how asking an athlete to honor his contract is getting emotional. I normally agree with most of the things you post DB, and the same holds true for most of your post, but in regards to the last few paragraphs, I couldn't disagree more.

An NFL contract is just like any other contract. If it were not binding then he would not be losing roster bonuses or being fined for not showing up. That is not to say things cannot be negotiated and both parties agree to dissolve the old contract and work something out that benefits both parties. But if that is the case. then men with honor would have handled that behind closed doors in the off season. Why is it you think us regular folks have to honor our contracts, but athletes don't?

Obviously you never served or you would not be saying that. I did serve and I can tell you this is desertion of the unit. You may not like the comparison, but that does not mean it is not a valid one.

Someone who calls another man pathetic for expressing his views on a message board is the one who needs to have his head checked. It seems to me you are the one getting emotional about it with your ad hominem attack. It's just an opinion. No reason for you to make it personal.

The sun will rise tomorrow whether Dre shows up or not, and I will not lose a wink of sleep over that. But the damage Dre has done to young kids who look up to him will last a lifetime. I can only imagine parents telling their kids when they ask why Dre is doing this: "Yes I know I said there is no I in team little Johnny, but it's complicated"

We teach our kids right from wrong, and then someone who has been a well respected role model behaves like this and smashes those lessons to pieces.

You are being hypocritical DB because you have commented plenty of times where you should have practiced what you are preaching.
I guess the texans organization are quitters now. Yates had a year left on his contract. Those poor little kids are that you have been teaching right from wrong are surely going to have the lessons they have learned smashed to pieces. Or are you going to be a hypocrite And not hold the team to the same standard you're holding AJ to? Or do you now see that an NFL contract is NOT like any other contract?
Old 06-18-2014   #1218
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I guess the texans organization are quitters now. Yates had a year left on his contract. Those poor little kids are that you have been teaching right from wrong are surely going to have the lessons they have learned smashed to pieces. Or are you going to be a hypocrite And not hold the team to the same standard you're holding AJ to? Or do you now see that an NFL contract is NOT like any other contract?
A better example would be Kevin Walter.
It is true that the Texans can cut him, but they asked him to take a 2M pay cut.
Instead of earning 3.5M in each year from 2012-1014, he agreed to take just 1.5M in 2012 to stay with the team in the hope of going to the SB.
The Texans ended up cutting him after the season anyway.
They were hoping that Posey, Martin, or Le Jean would step up, but none did last year.
Old 06-18-2014   #1219
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

It does seem like people are taking this way too personally. Almost as if Andre Johnson kicked their dog.

I laughed at the "from idol to just want him gone post"
Old 06-18-2014   #1220
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
A better example would be Kevin Walter.
It is true that the Texans can cut him, but they asked him to take a 2M pay cut.
Instead of earning 3.5M in each year from 2012-1014, he agreed to take just 1.5M in 2012 to stay with the team in the hope of going to the SB.
The Texans ended up cutting him after the season anyway.
They were hoping that Posey, Martin, or Le Jean would step up, but none did last year.
Well nitro fish what do you have to say about that????????

Great example 76.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read