Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2014   #1121
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29607 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Just got some disturbing news about A Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
FYI, Hakeem Olajuwon's heart is not in Houston. Dude doesnt even live in the U.S. anymore. His life, heart, and soul are in Amman, Jordan, with his family.

He still has business connections in Houston (among many other places), but where a man keeps his wife and children reveals the true nature of his heart's orientation.

As far as AJ, it's only business on both sides as far as I'm concerned.

And finally, for the dudes 1) getting emotional about it, 2) trying to spew their envy and jealousy, 3) believing that an NFL contract is anything like an apartment lease, and/or 4) those comparing it to military service (after you get your heads checked):

THIS IS NOTHING BUT ENTERTAINMENT. If it's more to you than that, grow the eff up and get a life. You're kinda' pathetic as a grown man. They play, and YOU WATCH.
Thank you. So true.

Can't believe some people are comparing this situation to military service.

Perspective, people. Perspective.
Old 06-16-2014   #1122
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 95054 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Smart business move, holding out for more money when you are over the hill.

If he doesn't want to play for the Texans, I wouldn't trade him to a team we play because he still has enough to be dangerous.
Old 06-16-2014   #1123
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 114477 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Sometimes threads on here feel like a never ending treadmill, which could get very exhausting
Old 06-16-2014   #1124
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 94266 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
No, I'm showing how you're making ****** up to support your agenda. You've essentially called him a quitter, as if its some sort of character flaw he's always exhibited. Now you're altering your assertion that his being less-than-pleased with his situation NOW is worse than having a pattern of such behavior.

"Lived up to his word"?? Where, oh where did you find AJ giving "his word" that's he'd attend OTAs and Mini-camp this year?
He is a quitter, and I never asserted he displayed the character flaw before. You are making that up. It's not about what I asserted, it's about what AJ asserted when he signed that contract.

AJ gave his word when he signed his contract. I am sure if you read it, it lays out that he is expected to show up to OTA's and camp. In fact, as it has been reported, he has forfeited a 1 million dollar roster bonus for not showing up, plus he will be fined nearly 70k for missing the 3 day mandatory camp. So yeah, he gave his word and even signed on the dotted line to back that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
FYI, Hakeem Olajuwon's heart is not in Houston. Dude doesnt even live in the U.S. anymore. His life, heart, and soul are in Amman, Jordan, with his family.

He still has business connections in Houston (among many other places), but where a man keeps his wife and children reveals the true nature of his heart's orientation.

As far as AJ, it's only business on both sides as far as I'm concerned.

And finally, for the dudes 1) getting emotional about it, 2) trying to spew their envy and jealousy, 3) believing that an NFL contract is anything like an apartment lease, and/or 4) those comparing it to military service (after you get your heads checked):

THIS IS NOTHING BUT ENTERTAINMENT. If it's more to you than that, grow the eff up and get a life. You're kinda' pathetic as a grown man. They play, and YOU WATCH.
I fail to see how asking an athlete to honor his contract is getting emotional. I normally agree with most of the things you post DB, and the same holds true for most of your post, but in regards to the last few paragraphs, I couldn't disagree more.

An NFL contract is just like any other contract. If it were not binding then he would not be losing roster bonuses or being fined for not showing up. That is not to say things cannot be negotiated and both parties agree to dissolve the old contract and work something out that benefits both parties. But if that is the case. then men with honor would have handled that behind closed doors in the off season. Why is it you think us regular folks have to honor our contracts, but athletes don't?

Obviously you never served or you would not be saying that. I did serve and I can tell you this is desertion of the unit. You may not like the comparison, but that does not mean it is not a valid one.

Someone who calls another man pathetic for expressing his views on a message board is the one who needs to have his head checked. It seems to me you are the one getting emotional about it with your ad hominem attack. It's just an opinion. No reason for you to make it personal.

The sun will rise tomorrow whether Dre shows up or not, and I will not lose a wink of sleep over that. But the damage Dre has done to young kids who look up to him will last a lifetime. I can only imagine parents telling their kids when they ask why Dre is doing this: "Yes I know I said there is no I in team little Johnny, but it's complicated"

We teach our kids right from wrong, and then someone who has been a well respected role model behaves like this and smashes those lessons to pieces.

You are being hypocritical DB because you have commented plenty of times where you should have practiced what you are preaching.

Quote:
They play, and YOU WATCH.

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Old 06-16-2014   #1125
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
After sleeping on this, I think it's more an attempt to renegotiate for more money. AJ's got that uncle and probably everyone else constantly whispering in his ear: You ain't gettin' paid! You're the greatest. You gettin' disrespected.
Quote:
Melton said Johnson is holding off making a decision about his attendance and has yet to determine whether he’ll officially hold out.
Quote:
O’Brien said Friday he didn’t know whether the team’s premier wideout would attend minicamp.

Andre and Bill have a great relationship. That’s just what it is,” [Johnson's Uncle] Melton said. “After that, it’s just a wait-and-see deal.”
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...t-with-texans/
Old 06-16-2014   #1126
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 42196 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

And now, the end (may be) here
And so I face the final touchdown
My fans, I'll say it clear
I'll state my case, of which I'll tell Melton
I've lived a career that's full
I've attended each and ev'ry play
And more, much more than this, I did it my way

Regrets, I've had a few
But then again, too few QB's to mention
I ran what routes I had to do and saw it through without exemption
I planned each charted restructure, most each contract along the byway
And more, much more than whuppin Innegan, I did it my way

Yes, there were seasons, I'm sure you knew
When my coach bit off more than he could chew
But through it all, when there was doubt
My last time on the field, I walked it out
I faced it all and I stood tall and did it my way

I've loved, I've laughed and cried
I've had my fill, my share of losing
And now, as contracts subside, I find it all so amusing
To think I did all that
And may I say, not in a shy way,
"Oh, no, oh, no, not me, I did it my way"

For what is a reciever, what has he got?
If not a competent offense, then he has naught
To quietly say the things he truly feels and not the words of one in teal
The record shows I took the blows and did it my way!
Old 06-16-2014   #1127
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
He is a quitter, and I never asserted he displayed the character flaw before. You are making that up. It's not about what I asserted, it's about what AJ asserted when he signed that contract.

AJ gave his word when he signed his contract. I am sure if you read it, it lays out that he is expected to show up to OTA's and camp. In fact, as it has been reported, he has forfeited a 1 million dollar roster bonus for not showing up, plus he will be fined nearly 70k for missing the 3 day mandatory camp. So yeah, he gave his word and even signed on the dotted line to back that up.

I fail to see how asking an athlete to honor his contract is getting emotional. I normally agree with most of the things you post DB, and the same holds true for most of your post, but in regards to the last few paragraphs, I couldn't disagree more.

An NFL contract is just like any other contract. If it were not binding then he would not be losing roster bonuses or being fined for not showing up. That is not to say things cannot be negotiated and both parties agree to dissolve the old contract and work something out that benefits both parties. But if that is the case. then men with honor would have handled that behind closed doors in the off season. Why is it you think us regular folks have to honor our contracts, but athletes don't?

Obviously you never served or you would not be saying that. I did serve and I can tell you this is desertion of the unit. You may not like the comparison, but that does not mean it is not a valid one.

Someone who calls another man pathetic for expressing his views on a message board is the one who needs to have his head checked. It seems to me you are the one getting emotional about it with your ad hominem attack. It's just an opinion. No reason for you to make it personal.

The sun will rise tomorrow whether Dre shows up or not, and I will not lose a wink of sleep over that. But the damage Dre has done to young kids who look up to him will last a lifetime. I can only imagine parents telling their kids when they ask why Dre is doing this: "Yes I know I said there is no I in team little Johnny, but it's complicated"

We teach our kids right from wrong, and then someone who has been a well respected role model behaves like this and smashes those lessons to pieces.

You are being hypocritical DB because you have commented plenty of times where you should have practiced what you are preaching.
What a bunch of rubbish. You should just stop. players have the right in the nfl bargaining agreement to do exactly what AJ is doing and teams have the right to terminate contracts early if they see fit. So just stop with this nonsense.
Old 06-16-2014   #1128
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzO View Post

Regrets, I've had a few

To think I did all that

That's really good but somewhere you could have mentioned beating the hell out of Finnegan .

Round Dan
Old 06-16-2014   #1129
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 114477 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

OH hell let me give this a shot

My name is Andre Johnson,,, all i want is a trophy
I've taken more shots at dudes,,, then robocops Alex Murphy
I may not speak to much,,, i might be a little reserved
But this is a damn rebuild,,, i see that from what i've observed
So what if you got Cush, Jojo foster and Watt
Summertime is here,,,this is texas and damn it sure gets hot
So what i missed OTAs,,, So what if they fine me a few hundred grand
My name is Andre Johnson and i'm the Mother Fuking Man

True story !
Old 06-16-2014   #1130
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 272221 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Seriously, if AJ doesn't show up for this weeks "mandatory" mini-camp, he's not rapidly approaching persona non grata status for you ?
Let's cross that bridge when we get there. Bad mouthing him now doesn't make sense.
Old 06-16-2014   #1131
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 272221 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
*Gag* This is even worse than Tate's "wishy-washy fans" garbage. If they need the fans to get their collective **** together, we're already doomed.
It's an expansion on the team concept. One man on the team believing he can win a Super Bowl isn't going to make it happen. Two men is better, but still not enough.

The majority of the team needs to be working towards that singular goal & the majority of the fans behind them gives them something else to play for. Not that it's needed, but it helps.

Besides, as it stands, we're no better than Jag fans & worse than Eagle fans. Not really the way I'd like to feel about a fan base I associate myself with.
Old 06-16-2014   #1132
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Pot, meet kettle.

Well... ... but...
Old 06-16-2014   #1133
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 94266 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
What a bunch of rubbish. You should just stop. players have the right in the nfl bargaining agreement to do exactly what AJ is doing and teams have the right to terminate contracts early if they see fit. So just stop with this nonsense.
Really? Can you cite the passage in the CBA that states that please?

Old 06-16-2014   #1134
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222730 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully things don't go so far, but missing any training camp starts getting pretty costly...........~$30,000 per day missed.
Old 06-16-2014   #1135
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Hopefully things don't go so far, but missing any training camp starts getting pretty costly...........~$30,000 per day missed.
Quote:
Johnson can be fined during each day of his absence, losing $11,575 Tuesday, $23,150 Wednesday and $34,730 Thursday for a total of $69,455.
Link

Old 06-16-2014   #1136
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 101731 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

It just sucks because when he does show up, and I'm confident he will, he will be behind on learning the new system.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
Old 06-16-2014   #1137
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222730 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
I was referring to TC fines.
Old 06-16-2014   #1138
JRingo
Rookie

Rep Power: 1978 JRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
Andre's going to kill the goose that laid the golden egg. The fans are starting to turn on him, and if he doesn't show for camp, they will completely bail on him if that persists for any length of time.

He's got about 6 weeks to figure it out. Regardless of him skipping mini-camp, he can still mend things with the organization, teammates and fans if he shows up at camp and works his butt off. If he's not there, I think we may have seen the end of AJ in a Texans uni or perhaps any NFL uniform.

I appreciate his past contributions, but the man can't be endearing himself to the other 52 players that will eventually make up this roster. His behavior is the antithesis of the culture BOB is trying to instill. One man - no matter how good - does not come before the team.

If I am the Texans it's either come show up and play, or retire. We aren't releasing you, we aren't trading you, and we aren't tearing up your contract for a new one. You have a contract you signed and you knew the terms and now it's time to come to work and kick butt. If not, see ya don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.
Agree 100% with your post. Also think O'Brien will not put up with this distraction much longer. Will be interesting to see what happens. Still predicting us to go 11-5 this year. Hopefully we can get some compensation..
Old 06-16-2014   #1139
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127995 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Andre will be a Texan this year and he'll catch a hundred balls for 1000+ yards. Those concerned with him learning BOB's system are underestimating AJ. I will bet y'all dollars to donuts that AJ has watched enough film of the Patriots and PSU to have a grasp of what BOB's offense is all about.

As far as trading him, if I were the Texans, I wouldn't take much less than Oliver Luck... In other words, I ain't trading him.

The thing that does concern me the most is, is that his uncle is involved again. Uncle Andre Melton IRRC.

The thing is, I see more and more fans displaying apathy for AJ rather than empathy or sympathy.
Old 06-16-2014   #1140
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 161936 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzO View Post

Regrets, I've had a few

To think I did all that

Excellent! Snoop Dog, right?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read