Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-15-2014   #61
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77886 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Center Battle

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
yes but the rub blocking Myers was rated in was a
ZBS not the same as he will be in now. I'm not saying he will fail. I am just not optimistic.
It appears that we will be zone blocking in this new Scheme. But we just don't know what type if zone blocking yet.

It appears to me that it will be more of a power zone type Scheme...inside stuff....not as much outside the tackle/stretch

We really just have to wait and see how this stuff plays out. We really don't know. Well I don't. Can't speak for everyone.
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014   #62
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Myers is one of the better C's in football. Might not be the most physical, but he calls a great game for the OLine.

That's going to be the QBs duty from now on.
Old 06-16-2014   #63
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
yes but the rub blocking Myers was rated in was a
ZBS not the same as he will be in now. I'm not saying he will fail. I am just not optimistic.
We expect Crennel to put our defensive players in the best possible position to be successful, why wouldn't we expect the same on the offensive side of the ball?

These guys are good at zone blocking... Su'a-Filo is good at zone blocking... & like TPN said, we actually did a lot of ISOs & other run blocking as well... just more zone.

I expect our offense to be more of an evolution than a clean break.

I think that's the guy 'cak was talking about.

That's another guy who wasn't particularly huge & one of the better centers of our time.
Old 06-16-2014   #64
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195032 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
We expect Crennel to put our defensive players in the best possible position to be successful, why wouldn't we expect the same on the offensive side of the ball?

These guys are good at zone blocking... Su'a-Filo is good at zone blocking... & like TPN said, we actually did a lot of ISOs & other run blocking as well... just more zone.

That's another guy who wasn't particularly huge & one of the better centers of our time.

I think there is a big difference, especially in center of gravity, when comparing 6'2" 196 lbs (Saturday) and 6'4" 186 lbs (Meyers).
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014   #65
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195032 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

As far as Stepnoski, he was indeed considered undersized at 6'2" 270, and he was a smashmouth power player. But he played between 1989 and 2001, where DL players were nowhere close to as big as they are now. Furthermore, he LIVED in the weight room and it was well known that he could bench and squat more than his 300 pound teammates. Chris Meyers is not that center. Meyers is not a Stepnoski.
Old 06-16-2014   #66
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Center is still calling protection, from one of the new pieces released from HoustonTexans.com
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014   #67
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 116197 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
As far as Stepnoski, he was indeed considered undersized at 6'2" 270, and he was a smashmouth power player. But he played between 1989 and 2001, where DL players were nowhere close to as big as they are now. Furthermore, he LIVED in the weight room and it was well known that he could bench and squat more than his 300 pound teammates. Chris Meyers is not that center. Meyers is not a Stepnoski.
No, but they're both "technicians" who aren't running big guys over. Step had arguably the best technique / leverage I've ever seen in a lineman. I always wondered if he'd make a good coach.
Old 06-16-2014   #68
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 278195 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
The Center is still calling protection, from one of the new pieces released from HoustonTexans.com
I saw that, I think in an interview, and found it strange. Pretty sure QB makes all calls in NE... ?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014   #69
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77886 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd be surprised if the OL didn't have any calls.
Old 06-16-2014   #70
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
There are a few thousand examples of 310 lb+ fat asses sitting at home watching NFL games on Sundays while Myers has started and excelled for the past 112 straight games because guys actually paid to make NFL decisions decided he was the right guy for the job.

That's all I am getting at. It's not like we are talking about trotting Trindon Holliday out there to play C and so any 310 lb dude will be an upgrade.
Very kind of you to ignore the point of my post that Myers will not be playing in the same type of offense as he has, at least as it has been indicated.
We seemingly have gotten away from the light weight nose and may be headed that way for center. Ben Jones was not drafted to be "any 310 pound upgrade." He was a very good center in college.

Power and size appears to be the offensive and defensive lines going forward. I will not be surprised if Myers is the center but not surprised if he is not.
Old 06-16-2014   #71
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Very kind of you to ignore the point of my post that Myers will not be playing in the same type of offense as he has, at least as it has been indicated.
We seemingly have gotten away from the light weight nose and may be headed that way for center. Ben Jones was not drafted to be "any 310 pound upgrade." He was a very good center in college.

Power and size appears to be the offensive and defensive lines going forward. I will not be surprised if Myers is the center but not surprised if he is not.

Regardless of the type of blocks we will be doing more often, the better player will start...

They aren't going to look at Myers then Look at Jones..And say..."well even though this guy is more effective for us, we are going to start this other guy because he's bigger..."

Now..being bigger/stronger MIGHT help him in OB's scheme...but again..it's about which guy ends up playing the best.
Old 06-16-2014   #72
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17795 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
there is way too much going on up front for the QB to hand out blocking assignments, especially the QB's in this system. A signal caller might be able to shift the line one way or another, maybe slide the TE over or tell the RB which way to chip, but now way will he tell one of the hogs who to pick up in an exotic front when he is the bubble man, or who to help.

A good center is hard to come by. A fat boy who can move another fat boy a few yards down the field is very common.

Myers has nothing to worry about.
Old 06-16-2014   #73
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I just rewatched the first half of the 34-7 trouncing of the Colts in 2011.

The O-line was pretty much flawless as the Texans jumped out to a 24-0 lead.
Winston then allowed a sack on 2nd down; the Texans couldn't convert on third down and settled for a FG to go up 27-0.
The D stopped the Colts again and Jacoby returned a punt for a TD.
Texans were up 34-0 at the half.

Game over.
I'd like to see the O-line put up similar performances this year.
It won't matter who's at QB.

Oh, I also saw Collins ran back 20 yards before grounding the ball intentionally (for a 15-yd penalty) to avoid a sack.
The good thing for him was that he had time to throw the ball away without the fear of being intercepted or something else bad happened.
If the pass rusher was right on top of him, Collins would have had to take a twenty-yard sack, at least.
Damn stupid veteran QB.
Wonder how he got to play in the SB.
Old 06-16-2014   #74
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I think there is a big difference, especially in center of gravity, when comparing 6'2" 196 lbs (Saturday) and 6'4" 186 lbs (Meyers).
You mean 296, & 286 right?

I think weight is part of it, but so is build & the make up of that weight. Then there's technique & scheme.

I won't bat an eye if OB replaces Meyers as our starting center. I just don't think that would be a good idea. We know OB is not opposed to running zone, so unless he's opposed to winning, I'd imagine he'd run enough to take advantage of Chris Meyers' strengths... which the other four guys should also be pretty good at.
Old 06-16-2014   #75
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
there is way too much going on up front for the QB to hand out blocking assignments, especially the QB's in this system.
In "this system" it's traditionally been the QBs duty to call the protection. That's one of the "OB expects his QB to do more." stuff.
Old 06-16-2014   #76
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17795 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In "this system" it's traditionally been the QBs duty to call the protection. That's one of the "OB expects his QB to do more." stuff.
You're still missing the point. There are a plethora of calls going on presnap. A QB MIGHT influence the blocking scheme to shade to the strong side of the defense, or the other variables I pointed out. If you are saying that the QB is going to be able to pick up shades on a DLineman and then tell the guys up front who to pick up, THEN make a presnap read, adjust his WR's etc... etc.... well then I'll just have to disagree.

Tom Brady doesn't do that. Not sure where this myth that a Belichick/OBrien QB will make every single call on the field came from.
Old 06-16-2014   #77
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Regardless of the type of blocks we will be doing more often, the better player will start...

They aren't going to look at Myers then Look at Jones..And say..."well even though this guy is more effective for us, we are going to start this other guy because he's bigger..."

Now..being bigger/stronger MIGHT help him in OB's scheme...but again..it's about which guy ends up playing the best.
That is so thought provoking! Never considered starting the better player before, I wonder if the other 31 teams have thought of that?

The point of my posts is that in this new ZBS that seems to be more of a power blocking directed more straight ahead than to an angle, a bigger stronger player could be the better player. Of course size does not always mean better but there is a reason, we are going bigger.
Old 06-16-2014   #78
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
That is so thought provoking! Never considered starting the better player before, I wonder if the other 31 teams have thought of that?

The point of my posts is that in this new ZBS that seems to be more of a power blocking directed more straight ahead than to an angle, a bigger stronger player could be the better player. Of course size does not always mean better but there is a reason, we are going bigger.
I'm not sure that O'Brien's intention was to go big.
S'ua Filo is only 307.
Spencer Long who went at #79 is 320
Gabe Jackson at #81 is 336.
Old 06-17-2014   #79
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I'm not sure that O'Brien's intention was to go big.
S'ua Filo is only 307.
Spencer Long who went at #79 is 320
Gabe Jackson at #81 is 336.
Don't be surprised to see Filo gain at least 5 pounds by the end of training camp as many rookies do as they bulk up. Wade Smith was a similar 6'4" and weighed only 295. A more mobile, stronger, meaner Filo at a probable 312 or more will be more than big enough and a huge upgrade. BTW, Long is more of a project and doesn't move all that well.........and Jackson is a fatty who is a decent anchor but has a problem off the line with the slowest 40 time at the Combine.......neither a great comparison to Filo.

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 06-17-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-17-2014   #80
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 109743 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

It's Myers not Meyers

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read