Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2014   #1081
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Just got some disturbing news about A Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
The article above said he has missed a roster bonus but I thought that was for the final roster? Can someone clarify?
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-t...andre-johnson/
Quote:
2013-16 Roster Bonus $1 million (paid Week 1, must participate in offseason workouts)
Don't think I've read that before, but there it is (on ST, anyway).
Old 06-15-2014   #1082
cbs1507
Veteran

Rep Power: 8662 cbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
To answer your question... I didn't hear him complaining about losing when he signed his 7 year $68 million contract in 2009. Since he signed that contract, they have played in 4 playoff games and won two division titles. Before he signed that deal, in 6 years, they had no playoff appearances. So, yeah, I am not feeling a ton of pity for the guy. He chose to re-sign. I have little doubt the Texans would trade him if he is willing to reduce his contract to make him more appealing to potential trading partners. Something tells me, though, that winning isn't that important to him!
Actually, he never signed a 7 year contract in 2009. He originally signed an extension in 2007, while he was still on his rookie contract. However, he did hold out in 2009 for more money after back to back 100 catches 1500+ yard seasons (so perhaps that is what you're talking about). Of course, that was after we went 8-8, which was after our first NON LOSING season in franchise history. Also, that was after our 2nd season with Kubiak as out coach. The thinking when he signed that extension was probably not "We going to mediocre forever", but probably more like "We're getting better every year we can win here". I'm sure he never thought we'd revert back to the "glory days".
Old 06-15-2014   #1083
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
spin it any way you want, this team sucks currently. he has poured blood,sweat and tears into this organization he should be allowed to pursue greener pastures elsewhere because all we have here is a dried up rice field. Why let it become personal and bitter after such a stellar career?

Oh and why not mention the other 9 or 10 seasons of misery that he endured?
I don't care about trading AJ for a 2nd rd pick.

If I was in McNair's shoes I would say AJ go ahead and sit out the season. You lose 10 mil and have a happy retirement.

But that's just me and the way I conduct business.
Old 06-15-2014   #1084
Nitrofish
Humanoid

Rep Power: 53129 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So Dre is the first player to use these tactics in order to get satisfaction? Its pretty common. Talk of desertion and obligations are a bit strong IMO. When you have tenure within a company you are entitled to certain things that's just the way things go contract or no contract.

Obviously the team owe's him nothing, 'true' fans owe him nothing, but I can only speak for myself when I say that I feel he has earned the right to compete for a championship, he's earned his stripes here, and this team isn't going to contend anytime soon. He's bit his tongue and toe'd(sp) the company line all this time being an exemplary employee and now that he wants his release the team will hold him hostage? Real weak.

All the talk about him 'being paid millions' screams of envious minds and 'what could have beens' for most of the people who post here. Anyone of you could have put in the hours working out, getting faster, learning the game etc... etc... but you didn't, I didn't. Instead we are managers, machininsts cooks or bus drivers, and so is life, no complaints from me. I'm a fan of the team, I grow attached to certain players and I wish them all the best, sue me.

Hopefully Dre retires I wouldn't risk more injuries on a rebuild.
Just because others have done it does not mean it is right, or that fans should support it. Dre has no special rights that other players don't have and when you start saying that, you have thrown the team concept out the window.

All of the "managers, machinists cooks or bus drivers" are all expected to show up to work regardless of what we think of the direction of the organization we work for. And how good we are at our jobs gives none of us special rights over other employees.

Hopefully he does retire, because at this point it is the right thing to do if it really is all about losing. Forget about injuries, those go with the territory and all players know that going in.

"I always said I wanted to play for one team, and to be able to play for the Houston Texans for the rest of my career, it's a tremendous honor." -Andre Johnson
Old 06-15-2014   #1085
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
To answer your question... I didn't hear him complaining about losing when he signed his 7 year $68 million contract in 2009. Since he signed that contract, they have played in 4 playoff games and won two division titles. Before he signed that deal, in 6 years, they had no playoff appearances. So, yeah, I am not feeling a ton of pity for the guy. He chose to re-sign. I have little doubt the Texans would trade him if he is willing to reduce his contract to make him more appealing to potential trading partners. Something tells me, though, that winning isn't that important to him!
I think the difference is he does not see team doing all it can to be better at least in his mind. He wanted a better QB and does not seem to think Fitz or Savage is the future and what is wrong with that? Most of us are hopeful but none feel very confident. Yes, AJ gets paid a lot but he also wants to win and it is his body getting beat up each week so I am willing to let him do what he wants until preseason. He has broken no rules.

Until, we know that Texans asked him to reduce his contract to aid in a trade and he refused, you are only speculating as to whether winning is that important. We do not know.
Old 06-15-2014   #1086
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
Just because others have done it does not mean it is right, or that fans should support it. Dre has no special rights that other players don't have and when you start saying that, you have thrown the team concept out the window.

All of the "managers, machinists cooks or bus drivers" are all expected to show up to work regardless of what we think of the direction of the organization we work for. And how good we are at our jobs gives none of us special rights over other employees.

Hopefully he does retire, because at this point it is the right thing to do if it really is all about losing. Forget about injuries, those go with the territory and all players know that going in.
The bold is where I think you keep saying incorrectly that he is using some "special privilege" other players do not have. All the vets can do the same thing he is doing but chose not to. None is an 11 year with individual stats that he has. They chose to show he did not.

Any worker can decide to not show for work and experienced the consequences which would be different for many. That is what he is doing. He did not create the consequences; the players union and the owners created the consequences. His choice does not make him wrong, it just means some disagree or like me wish he had chosen differently.

I also think you are wrong if you think some employees do not get treated differently than coworkers if they are demonstrably better than those coworkers.
Old 06-15-2014   #1087
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
The bold is where I think you keep saying incorrectly that he is using some "special privilege" other players do not have. All the vets can do the same thing he is doing but chose not to. None is an 11 year with individual stats that he has. They chose to show he did not.

Any worker can decide to not show for work and experienced the consequences which would be different for many. That is what he is doing. He did not create the consequences; the players union and the owners created the consequences. His choice does not make him wrong, it just means some disagree or like me wish he had chosen differently.

I also think you are wrong if you think some employees do not get treated differently than coworkers if they are demonstrably better than those coworkers.

Your last paragraph. Yep. Superstars get special treatment. Fact of life, in sports and in regular workplaces.

Having said that...I don't feel sorry for Andre.
Old 06-15-2014   #1088
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Your last paragraph. Yep. Superstars get special treatment. Fact of life, in sports and in regular workplaces.

Having said that...I don't feel sorry for Andre.
I don't feel sorry for him either but he has not asked us to. He made a decision for his life and is willing to pay for it. None of us would like others (not counting family) to demand we do what they want. Fans often believe for some reason that they have right to intrude. We demand freedom to do as we please but entertainers must act as e want. We have our opinions but will not allow those to have theirs. I want what I want because I bought a ticket or jersey or watch on TV.

How selfish and ego driven. As the song said "Who in the world do you think you are? A super star?" Except how right you are in this context just ain't so.
Old 06-15-2014   #1089
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 166359 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans fans to Andre'

We find your lack of faith disturbing...

Old 06-16-2014   #1090
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
He said he wont be here for Mandatory also. That's what i'm going off of.
He said if he had to make the decision at that time, he would answer no. But he didn't have to & we'll just have to wait & see. Personally, I'd appreciate it if we weren't stabbing dude in the back until he does not show up.

All this crap going on right now is an example of what fans are like in Houston... or of Houston sports teams. I know that makes me look foolish for typing it out loud, but I truly believe that. Houston won't ever have a truly successful franchise because their fans don't know how to get behind it's team & it's players.

Jj Watt won't be staying here unless we pay him a shtload of money, way more than any one player should get... because he like all the other guys who come through are only playing for the money. They're not playing for you or me, because we act like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
PLUS in my defense i drink maybe 1 time a year and i was really ****ed up when i typed that, hell i dont even remember writing it, but i still partially agree with my drunken self, and must give myself credit for spelling also.
It's all good. :rainbow:
Old 06-16-2014   #1091
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post

Comparing AJ to a deserter is a perfect analogy. He has deserted his teammates because they took his pictures down and he doesn't want to go through another rebuild. Pooooor baby. Stop defending him and call a spade a spade.
You're making crap up to support your opinion. That should tell you right there your opinion has holes in it.
Old 06-16-2014   #1092
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
The 'what have you done for me lately' way of thought is cringe worthy. Dre has broken his body down for this team. He was paid handsomely, but maybe having the opportunity to play in important games means more to him than money. 2 winning seasons in his career. 2 playoff games. Sad. He was always the first vet into camps, ota's whatever the team wanted and now since he has a year or two left and he doesn't want to waste it on a sucky team he is a villain?
Maybe if he was a little more vocal & demanded more of his teammates on the field...

Old 06-16-2014   #1093
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
3 winning seasons in the last 5. Two significant playoff runs in the last three years... Of course, he was barely involved in 2011 due to injury. If the winning years happened early in his career his frustration would be more understandable. However, they had two very successful seasons prior to last year's disaster. As a player frustrated with losing, I would think he would be very supportive of the organizational changes after the 2013 disappointment.
Unless he thought Smith should go & Kubiak should stay.
Old 06-16-2014   #1094
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Your statement seems to be indicating that Dre stating away is good for the team. I could pick that statement apart, but I'm not going to.
I don't believe it's good for the team. I'd rather he be there. But to say absolutely no good can come from it... which is what I think I was replying to.

Quote:
I am curious though...
Did Schaub stay completely away from ota's?

Was he hurt, but still there? I don't remember.

But really, it doesn't matter. Completely different situations.
Well, Lucky proved my memory not to be so good. But I remember a time Schaub wasn't able to practice & Yates getting a lot of reps because of it helping him out. Or maybe because we didn't have a back up at that time... Lienart, I don't know.
Old 06-16-2014   #1095
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74785 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Mike Florio is a shill. His latest is just blatant Texan bashing as is his usual M.O. towards this franchise.

I hope the Texans stand pat and tell Andre to play or retire. there are no other options.
Old 06-16-2014   #1096
legacy_gt
All Pro

Rep Power: 7091 legacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respected

Andre is hands down my favorite player. He's deserved so much and he's been a great football player to the team and off the field with his charity work and work in the community.

But a player is never above a team. And imo he's been unprofessional about the whole situation. People like my little son and his friends look up to Andre (we bought him the official Andre J jersey/autographed pictures in his room) and don't understand the situation.

While I still love the football player and will always support him, the situation needs to be solved. At this point, I hope he can stay but if he carries this attitude, I'm ready for the next generation of Texans football w/out AJ. Nothing can be worse than last season.
Old 06-16-2014   #1097
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

However many weeks and hundreds of posts into this drama, and the best I can muster is a shrug. AJ is a great player, no doubt. But with all that greatness, the team has won two playoff games ever. They've had more losing seasons with him than winning ones. He's just a WR.

And are Houstonians really that attached to the guy? I mean, he makes no bones about his heart being in Miami. And that's fine, but I reserve my "Earl/Dream/Bum" status for guys that have their heart here.
Old 06-16-2014   #1098
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post

I hope the Texans stand pat and tell Andre to play or retire. there are no other options.
That wouldn't be standing pat.
Old 06-16-2014   #1099
xtruroyaltyx
All Pro

Rep Power: 40367 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
However many weeks and hundreds of posts into this drama, and the best I can muster is a shrug. AJ is a great player, no doubt. But with all that greatness, the team has won two playoff games ever. They've had more losing seasons with him than winning ones. He's just a WR.

And are Houstonians really that attached to the guy? I mean, he makes no bones about his heart being in Miami. And that's fine, but I reserve my "Earl/Dream/Bum" status for guys that have their heart here.
I'm not really attached to any of these guys.
Old 06-16-2014   #1100
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not really attached to any of these guys.
Me either and I understand emotional attachment from kids, but attachment from adults I don't get.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read