Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2014   #1061
TheDrifter
All Pro

Rep Power: 23162 TheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Just got some disturbing news about A Johnson

And I do find myself wondering, who would trade for him AND would make AJ happy to play there.

I dont see alot of teams at the crossroads of contender/plenty of cap space/need a WR.

Maybe the Bengals come closest?
Old 06-15-2014   #1062
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 21560 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Seahawks,Niners and Ravens could all use a WR of his caliber.
Old 06-15-2014   #1063
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 201896 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

The article above said he has missed a roster bonus but I thought that was for the final roster? Can someone clarify?
Old 06-15-2014   #1064
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 137288 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

Not having Matt Schaub for OTAs helped Tj Yates a bit before the 2011 season.
Your statement seems to be indicating that Dre stating away is good for the team. I could pick that statement apart, but I'm not going to.

I am curious though...
Did Schaub stay completely away from ota's?

Was he hurt, but still there? I don't remember.

But really, it doesn't matter. Completely different situations.
Old 06-15-2014   #1065
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 8706 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Wanna know what I think?

I thought you did.

I think AJ wants to go to the Ravens where he can play for his former coach and have an easy ride. He might expect to influence a trade to Baltimore, to get cut and join them, or to retire and sign with them a year later.
Old 06-15-2014   #1066
TheDrifter
All Pro

Rep Power: 23162 TheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The sites I'm looking at suggest the Niners and Ravens are near the cap.

I thought about the Seahawks, but they just won a SB without an elite WR. I'm not sure they'd pay big for one now....
Old 06-15-2014   #1067
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, so could the Texans.
Old 06-15-2014   #1068
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Oh and why not mention the other 9 or 10 seasons of misery that he endured?
To answer your question... I didn't hear him complaining about losing when he signed his 7 year $68 million contract in 2009. Since he signed that contract, they have played in 4 playoff games and won two division titles. Before he signed that deal, in 6 years, they had no playoff appearances. So, yeah, I am not feeling a ton of pity for the guy. He chose to re-sign. I have little doubt the Texans would trade him if he is willing to reduce his contract to make him more appealing to potential trading partners. Something tells me, though, that winning isn't that important to him!
Old 06-15-2014   #1069
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Not having Matt Schaub for OTAs helped Tj Yates a bit before the 2011 season.
There were no OTAs in 2011 due to the lockout. If you're referring to the 2012 OTAs, when Schaub was rehabbing, I don't see your point. Yates seemed to regress after 2011.
Old 06-15-2014   #1070
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 104354 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Dude what a rant and comparing Andre to a possible deserter is way over board. Where do you get that I am romanticize anything? You are putting words into my mouth just as you put "thoughts" into players' heads. What is wrong with a player taking care of himself? We always hear "This is a business" from management and if a player does anything in a business manner he is selfish? I want AJ in camp but it is his right to do as he is and he will face consequences. Yo have the right to handle your job the way you wish but do NOT have right to tell others how to handle their jobs.

You are acting like a child having a temper tantrum.
No matter how you slice it, he is deserting the team. Everyone but him was at OTA's and everyone but him will be at mini camp. How can you compare it to anything else?

What is wrong with him taking care of himself? This is a team sport, and Dre has been all about the team up until this point, and now suddenly he can't take it anymore? Nonsense. Should the rest of the players just take care of themselves also, or is this just something Dre has a right to do? If all of the rest of the players behaved like this what kind of a team would we have?

I am not telling anyone how to do their job. I am just another voice on a MB, and like it or not I am entitled to my opinion, and just because you do not agree with it does not mean I am acting like a child. That is just an ad hominem attack.

Quote:
The 'what have you done for me lately' way of thought is cringe worthy. Dre has broken his body down for this team. He was paid handsomely, but maybe having the opportunity to play in important games means more to him than money. 2 winning seasons in his career. 2 playoff games. Sad. He was always the first vet into camps, ota's whatever the team wanted and now since he has a year or two left and he doesn't want to waste it on a sucky team he is a villain?
Dre is not entitled to play in important games. No player is. Nobody promised that to him, nor could they. He has had plenty of chances to leave for greener pastures but he didn't so it's a little late now to cry foul.

There is no "Sucky Team" clause in his contract that I know of. and if he really wanted out he should have made that clear at the end of last season and asked for a trade instead of waiting until OTA's to start whining.

Yeah he as broken down his body to play for the Texans, but he was highly paid to do so, and he kept coming back for more so I don't want to hear that excuse. This behavior is not becoming of someone of his character. I believe if he was really tired of the losing he would have demanded a trade at the very least in the off season.

This whole thing with saying those things on video were designed to put pressure on the organization. What other reason would he have to tell anyone that on camera? Something smells here, and it's not the fish.

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Old 06-15-2014   #1071
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 21560 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
No matter how you slice it, he is deserting the team. Everyone but him was at OTA's and everyone but him will be at mini camp. How can you compare it to anything else?

What is wrong with him taking care of himself? This is a team sport, and Dre has been all about the team up until this point, and now suddenly he can't take it anymore? Nonsense. Should the rest of the players just take care of themselves also, or is this just something Dre has a right to do? If all of the rest of the players behaved like this what kind of a team would we have?

I am not telling anyone how to do their job. I am just another voice on a MB, and like it or not I am entitled to my opinion, and just because you do not agree with it does not mean I am acting like a child. That is just an ad hominem attack.

Dre is not entitled to play in important games. No player is. Nobody promised that to him, nor could they. He has had plenty of chances to leave for greener pastures but he didn't so it's a little late now to cry foul.

There is no "Sucky Team" clause in his contract that I know of. and if he really wanted out he should have made that clear at the end of last season and asked for a trade instead of waiting until OTA's to start whining.

Yeah he as broken down his body to play for the Texans, but he was highly paid to do so, and he kept coming back for more so I don't want to hear that excuse. This behavior is not becoming of someone of his character. I believe if he was really tired of the losing he would have demanded a trade at the very least in the off season.

This whole thing with saying those things on video were designed to put pressure on the organization. What other reason would he have to tell anyone that on camera? Something smells here, and it's not the fish.

So Dre is the first player to use these tactics in order to get satisfaction? Its pretty common. Talk of desertion and obligations are a bit strong IMO. When you have tenure within a company you are entitled to certain things that's just the way things go contract or no contract.

Obviously the team owe's him nothing, 'true' fans owe him nothing, but I can only speak for myself when I say that I feel he has earned the right to compete for a championship, he's earned his stripes here, and this team isn't going to contend anytime soon. He's bit his tongue and toe'd(sp) the company line all this time being an exemplary employee and now that he wants his release the team will hold him hostage? Real weak.

All the talk about him 'being paid millions' screams of envious minds and 'what could have beens' for most of the people who post here. Anyone of you could have put in the hours working out, getting faster, learning the game etc... etc... but you didn't, I didn't. Instead we are managers, machininsts cooks or bus drivers, and so is life, no complaints from me. I'm a fan of the team, I grow attached to certain players and I wish them all the best, sue me.

Hopefully Dre retires I wouldn't risk more injuries on a rebuild.
Old 06-15-2014   #1072
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 393216 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The article above said he has missed a roster bonus but I thought that was for the final roster? Can someone clarify?
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-t...andre-johnson/
Quote:
2013-16 Roster Bonus $1 million (paid Week 1, must participate in offseason workouts)
Don't think I've read that before, but there it is (on ST, anyway).
Old 06-15-2014   #1073
cbs1507
Veteran

Rep Power: 8663 cbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
To answer your question... I didn't hear him complaining about losing when he signed his 7 year $68 million contract in 2009. Since he signed that contract, they have played in 4 playoff games and won two division titles. Before he signed that deal, in 6 years, they had no playoff appearances. So, yeah, I am not feeling a ton of pity for the guy. He chose to re-sign. I have little doubt the Texans would trade him if he is willing to reduce his contract to make him more appealing to potential trading partners. Something tells me, though, that winning isn't that important to him!
Actually, he never signed a 7 year contract in 2009. He originally signed an extension in 2007, while he was still on his rookie contract. However, he did hold out in 2009 for more money after back to back 100 catches 1500+ yard seasons (so perhaps that is what you're talking about). Of course, that was after we went 8-8, which was after our first NON LOSING season in franchise history. Also, that was after our 2nd season with Kubiak as out coach. The thinking when he signed that extension was probably not "We going to mediocre forever", but probably more like "We're getting better every year we can win here". I'm sure he never thought we'd revert back to the "glory days".
Old 06-15-2014   #1074
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125942 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
spin it any way you want, this team sucks currently. he has poured blood,sweat and tears into this organization he should be allowed to pursue greener pastures elsewhere because all we have here is a dried up rice field. Why let it become personal and bitter after such a stellar career?

Oh and why not mention the other 9 or 10 seasons of misery that he endured?
I don't care about trading AJ for a 2nd rd pick.

If I was in McNair's shoes I would say AJ go ahead and sit out the season. You lose 10 mil and have a happy retirement.

But that's just me and the way I conduct business.
Old 06-15-2014   #1075
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 104354 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

Quote:
So Dre is the first player to use these tactics in order to get satisfaction? Its pretty common. Talk of desertion and obligations are a bit strong IMO. When you have tenure within a company you are entitled to certain things that's just the way things go contract or no contract.

Obviously the team owe's him nothing, 'true' fans owe him nothing, but I can only speak for myself when I say that I feel he has earned the right to compete for a championship, he's earned his stripes here, and this team isn't going to contend anytime soon. He's bit his tongue and toe'd(sp) the company line all this time being an exemplary employee and now that he wants his release the team will hold him hostage? Real weak.

All the talk about him 'being paid millions' screams of envious minds and 'what could have beens' for most of the people who post here. Anyone of you could have put in the hours working out, getting faster, learning the game etc... etc... but you didn't, I didn't. Instead we are managers, machininsts cooks or bus drivers, and so is life, no complaints from me. I'm a fan of the team, I grow attached to certain players and I wish them all the best, sue me.

Hopefully Dre retires I wouldn't risk more injuries on a rebuild.
Just because others have done it does not mean it is right, or that fans should support it. Dre has no special rights that other players don't have and when you start saying that, you have thrown the team concept out the window.

All of the "managers, machinists cooks or bus drivers" are all expected to show up to work regardless of what we think of the direction of the organization we work for. And how good we are at our jobs gives none of us special rights over other employees.

Hopefully he does retire, because at this point it is the right thing to do if it really is all about losing. Forget about injuries, those go with the territory and all players know that going in.

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Old 06-15-2014   #1076
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 201896 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I think the difference is he does not see team doing all it can to be better at least in his mind. He wanted a better QB and does not seem to think Fitz or Savage is the future and what is wrong with that? Most of us are hopeful but none feel very confident. Yes, AJ gets paid a lot but he also wants to win and it is his body getting beat up each week so I am willing to let him do what he wants until preseason. He has broken no rules.

Until, we know that Texans asked him to reduce his contract to aid in a trade and he refused, you are only speculating as to whether winning is that important. We do not know.
Old 06-15-2014   #1077
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
Just because others have done it does not mean it is right, or that fans should support it. Dre has no special rights that other players don't have and when you start saying that, you have thrown the team concept out the window.

All of the "managers, machinists cooks or bus drivers" are all expected to show up to work regardless of what we think of the direction of the organization we work for. And how good we are at our jobs gives none of us special rights over other employees.

Hopefully he does retire, because at this point it is the right thing to do if it really is all about losing. Forget about injuries, those go with the territory and all players know that going in.
The bold is where I think you keep saying incorrectly that he is using some "special privilege" other players do not have. All the vets can do the same thing he is doing but chose not to. None is an 11 year with individual stats that he has. They chose to show he did not.

Any worker can decide to not show for work and experienced the consequences which would be different for many. That is what he is doing. He did not create the consequences; the players union and the owners created the consequences. His choice does not make him wrong, it just means some disagree or like me wish he had chosen differently.

I also think you are wrong if you think some employees do not get treated differently than coworkers if they are demonstrably better than those coworkers.
Old 06-15-2014   #1078
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30799 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The bold is where I think you keep saying incorrectly that he is using some "special privilege" other players do not have. All the vets can do the same thing he is doing but chose not to. None is an 11 year with individual stats that he has. They chose to show he did not.

Any worker can decide to not show for work and experienced the consequences which would be different for many. That is what he is doing. He did not create the consequences; the players union and the owners created the consequences. His choice does not make him wrong, it just means some disagree or like me wish he had chosen differently.

I also think you are wrong if you think some employees do not get treated differently than coworkers if they are demonstrably better than those coworkers.

Your last paragraph. Yep. Superstars get special treatment. Fact of life, in sports and in regular workplaces.

Having said that...I don't feel sorry for Andre.
Old 06-15-2014   #1079
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Your last paragraph. Yep. Superstars get special treatment. Fact of life, in sports and in regular workplaces.

Having said that...I don't feel sorry for Andre.
I don't feel sorry for him either but he has not asked us to. He made a decision for his life and is willing to pay for it. None of us would like others (not counting family) to demand we do what they want. Fans often believe for some reason that they have right to intrude. We demand freedom to do as we please but entertainers must act as e want. We have our opinions but will not allow those to have theirs. I want what I want because I bought a ticket or jersey or watch on TV.

How selfish and ego driven. As the song said "Who in the world do you think you are? A super star?" Except how right you are in this context just ain't so.
Old 06-16-2014   #1080
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans fans to Andre'

We find your lack of faith disturbing...

Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read