Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-15-2014   #101
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why is Derek Newton Still a Texan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Was he there during ota's? I know he was there at some point.

I don't understand why they'd put him there if they intended to play x at lg and brooks at right...

I thought brooks was at lg sometime before the draft. I never saw anything else about where they were lining up.

If he was at lg after x was drafted, then I think they are at least considering him for lg. Oline is a position group where you king of want to get your starters locked in. Don't wanna be moving guys all over. Unit continuity with the OL is probably more important than any other position group.
I saw Brooks play RG in college a bunch.
I'm pretty sure he played some LG in his Jr year.
(And I think I read somewhere that he also played OT).
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014   #102
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Was he there during ota's? I know he was there at some point.

I don't understand why they'd put him there if they intended to play x at lg and brooks at right...

I thought brooks was at lg sometime before the draft. I never saw anything else about where they were lining up.

If he was at lg after x was drafted, then I think they are at least considering him for lg. Oline is a position group where you king of want to get your starters locked in. Don't wanna be moving guys all over. Unit continuity with the OL is probably more important than any other position group.
They're allowed to participate in ROOKIE camp. Pretty sure that's when we saw him. Then back to graduate. He should be back for mandatory but has fallen way behind so will stick to guard and not guard & tackle like O'Brien wanted to do. Don't have a link but IIRC that was an exchange between John Harris an Marc Vand'mr on "Inside The Huddle" a few weeks back.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014   #103
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199937 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I saw Brooks play RG in college a bunch.
I'm pretty sure he played some LG in his Jr year.
(And I think I read somewhere that he also played OT).

Quote:
Redshirted in 2007. Was Miami’s Freshman of the Year in ’08 after starting all 12 games at left guard and grading out at 81 percent with 70 knockdowns. Moved to left tackle in ’09 and started all 12 games. Played in nine games in ’10, making two starts at left tackle and the final five games at left guard. Saw action in only two of the first seven games because of a pulled hamstring. Sat out ’11 spring drills with an injury but made all 12 starts at right guard in the fall.
link
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014   #104
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
To encourage more prospects to finish their spring classes, the NFL doesn't allow a rookie to participate in team activities -- except for a team's three-day rookie minicamp -- until his spring semester's classes and final exams are completed.

The NFL rule applies whether the draft pick was enrolled for spring classes or not, so there's no incentive for draft hopefuls to drop out of classes.
X was at rookie minicamp, but missed 10 days of OTAs.

I'm not sure that missed time disqualifies him from taking some reps at RT -- he excelled as a T at UCLA, setting record for most starts on offense by a true freshman... 2012: started 14 games at LG but played some LT... 2013: started 7 games at LG and 7 games at LT winning Morris Award for best lineman in PAC12 and was UCLA's offensive MVP.

I think he has the classic OG body, but wouldn't be surprised to see him get reps at RT and even at C. He's a mature, serious young man.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014   #105
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88550 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
They're allowed to participate in ROOKIE camp. Pretty sure that's when we saw him. Then back to graduate. He should be back for mandatory but has fallen way behind so will stick to guard and not guard & tackle like O'Brien wanted to do. Don't have a link but IIRC that was an exchange between John Harris an Marc Vand'mr on "Inside The Huddle" a few weeks back.
My bad I wasn't clear. The "him" I was talking about was brooks and the "there" was the lg spot.

I can't remember where that info came from and I'm too lazy to look. Can't remember if it was a photo, a tweet or from the team themselves...or maybe my mind made it up.

But I could've sworn brooks was repping at lg before the draft....and since then I hadn't seen anything with regards to where guys were lining up.
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014   #106
Troy Chapman
Veteran

Rep Power: 17470 Troy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respected

Su'A Filo should be at camp this week, he should already be in town. UCLA graduates on the quarters system, their graduation was this past Friday. Xavier apparently had an iPad with him since the rookie mini camp. He was able to attend one rookie mini-camp but that is it. That's why he hasn't signed his contract and wasn't at OTA's.

Luck went through the same thing coming out of Stanford a few years ago.
Troy Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read