Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2014   #1041
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Just got some disturbing news about A Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
What good is an ignore feature if the occupant is quoted?
Ditto...
Old 06-14-2014   #1042
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 9162 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

I really hope Dre switches his attitude and comes to mini camp this week.
Old 06-14-2014   #1043
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
I'll be honest and some of you may not agree.

When i sign a lease on a house i pay the rent, when i buy a car i make my payment. These are all contracts. It is MANDATORY i pay.

I have lost so much respect for this man, over this. If he wants to retire then great, let him retire. But your odds of going to a SB team are very slim. We have a talented roster, a new bright head coach. We are learning a new offense, and all your team mates are there working already and getting ready for the season.

WHILE you on the other hand are having an extended vacation on the money from your CONTRACT. Man up and be with your team otherwise set off into the sun set until we retire your sorry ass jersey.

Thats right i said sorry ass, cause right now your acting like one.
You have the right to not pay your note or pay it late and accept the consequences. You have the right to criticize AJ and others would have the right to criticize your decisions. Personally, I would not call you a sorry ass but that is just me. AJ is deciding what he will do in his life just like you or I do.

IIRC, AJ can spend only the $ he has already been paid. 2014 contract $ does not begin until season starts. He does receive minimal amounts for TC & preseason I believe.
Old 06-14-2014   #1044
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
I tend to agree with this sentiment. There is no "but if the team sucks" or "If there is another rebuild" clause in this mans contract, and when he signed there was no guarantee he would see the playoffs, or a championship. It said he will render his services for x amount of time and dollars. Playoffs and championships are gravy, not guaranteed.

This is becoming a distraction and it needs to end. If he does not show up for mandatory camp, he should and will be fined, and I would wash my hands of the guy and let him rack up fines, retire, or sit on the bench. If he thinks finishing his career acting like a spoiled brat is a good thing, then so it shall be written.

This is selfish, and childish no matter how you slice it.
I have not heard of one player being distracted. It sounds like AJ is not doing what you want him to and you are distracted. His contract (thru the CBA) allows him to do exactly what he is doing with only minor consequences. I think if NFL owners were really upset with behavior of players like AJ holding out or not showing or whatever, the consequences would be more severe. His actions are not immoral, criminal or evil. He is doing what he thinks is best for him under the rules.
Old 06-14-2014   #1045
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I'll be honest and some of you may not agree.

When i sign a lease on a house i pay the rent, when i buy a car i make my payment. These are all contracts. It is MANDATORY i pay.

I have lost so much respect for this man, over this.
What did you think about his first four years in the league when he didn't come to OTAs & worked out in Miami instead?

This is no different, he has no obligation whatsoever to be here... until next week.
Old 06-14-2014   #1046
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
yes but he stated he would not be attending mandatory, so we'll see.
He said if he had to decide at that time, he would have to answer no, but he didn't have to decide at that time. But seeing how so many people have turned their backs on him, he's may be feeling like not showing up now.
Old 06-14-2014   #1047
bayoudreamn
Veteran

Rep Power: 2722 bayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey TK, which NFL team last year ran a defence closest to what we'll see from Crennell this year.....Seattle??

Back to the conversation:

I agree that AJ has a right to do what he's doing. He made a decision based on his perception of the state of the team as it relates to him and his career at this time. Team first doesn't mean player never. My concern with the situation is that I recognize that decisions have consequences. Not being there can affect his preparations, his conditioning, etc and alot of the consequences can affect him during the season. I'm just hoping whatever gets done will be done quickly enough that he can move on be successful...whether that means here or somewhere else. If he holds out and in the end does show up he's older and he's had some injury issues the last few years. Just hoping he gets in, get acclimated, and ready to go.

Contract or not, "buy in" requires some give and take on all sides. I don't know that we can expect someone with a contract to just run with the herd like a bunch of bison! He has the capacity to be decisive, he's a professional.
Old 06-14-2014   #1048
bayoudreamn
Veteran

Rep Power: 2722 bayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respected

CND??
Old 06-14-2014   #1049
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
...But seeing how so many people have turned their backs on him, he's may be feeling like not showing up now.

AJ is just following Marshawn Lynch's example.
Old 06-14-2014   #1050
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoudreamn View Post
CND??
???I've posted my feelings on the effect on QB/WR prep/timing/chemistry, and the potential negative effects on trying to incorporate a new offensive scheme without a major piece.........specifically since he is slated as the #1 WR on the team.
Old 06-14-2014   #1051
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
???I've posted my feelings on the effect on QB/WR prep/timing/chemistry, and the potential negative effects on trying to incorporate a new offensive scheme without a major piece.........specifically since he is slated as the #1 WR on the team.
Which is really a bit of a misnomer. The playbook doesn't have WR1, WR2, or WR3 in any of the plays. Typically it's X, Y, or Z... generally speaking, the #1 WR is usually the guy who produced the most at the end of the season.

For the most part, it doesn't matter who is running those routes right now. By the time the season starts, the coach may change it all up, preferring to use one as the X more than the others, or the Z, or whatever.

But just like there's a lot of film on Fitzpatrick that the coaches "know" what they can & can't do with him, there's plenty of film on Andre & the coaches should have an idea how they're going to use him. & we've still got mini-camp & training camp to work out the details.
Old 06-14-2014   #1052
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Which is really a bit of a misnomer. The playbook doesn't have WR1, WR2, or WR3 in any of the plays. Typically it's X, Y, or Z... generally speaking, the #1 WR is usually the guy who produced the most at the end of the season.

For the most part, it doesn't matter who is running those routes right now. By the time the season starts, the coach may change it all up, preferring to use one as the X more than the others, or the Z, or whatever.

But just like there's a lot of film on Fitzpatrick that the coaches "know" what they can & can't do with him, there's plenty of film on Andre & the coaches should have an idea how they're going to use him. & we've still got mini-camp & training camp to work out the details.
You really believe this? Or are you just being contrary?

AJ is and has always been a WR1.
Old 06-14-2014   #1053
xtruroyaltyx
All Pro

Rep Power: 40367 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I hear what you're saying, but Andre being there would be a good thing. It'd help.

If the coaches could just look at film and see what they can do with guys, then lots of players could just stay away. Coaches could just use this time to watch film and conceptualize.

Everyone else is there for a reason. It's to get reps, get to know the system, your new teammates, your new coaches.

I don't know how much of a negative effect this'll ultimately have, but I know one thing....it sure isn't helping.

Regarding wr1. Andre is wr1 until proven otherwise.
Old 06-15-2014   #1054
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 166359 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Establish chemistry and timing with WHO??
Four different guys?!
Ridiculous.
Pick a damn starter O'Brien.
And I've not seen a single word that says O'Brien thinks Andre' is a "major piece".
Think about it, under the "Patriot way" Tom Brady has only had one or two top tier WRs in his N.E. 13-yr career. And the two they had, they let walk.
Wes Welker? Don't need him. We can get Danny Amendola cheaper.
Randy Moss? cut him. We don't need him.
Andre Johnson? The "Patriot way" says he just another WR.
Old 06-15-2014   #1055
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
You really believe this? Or are you just being contrary?

AJ is and has always been a WR1.
Not being contrary... just trying to tame some of the, "Andre's not here, the sky is falling." talk. Like ObsiWan said, he'd have four QBs throwing him the ball. This is OTAs, not camp. Not the preseason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I don't know how much of a negative effect this'll ultimately have, but I know one thing....it sure isn't helping.

Regarding wr1. Andre is wr1 until proven otherwise.
Not having Matt Schaub for OTAs helped Tj Yates a bit before the 2011 season.
Old 06-15-2014   #1056
Nitrofish
Humanoid

Rep Power: 53129 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I have not heard of one player being distracted. It sounds like AJ is not doing what you want him to and you are distracted. His contract (thru the CBA) allows him to do exactly what he is doing with only minor consequences. I think if NFL owners were really upset with behavior of players like AJ holding out or not showing or whatever, the consequences would be more severe. His actions are not immoral, criminal or evil. He is doing what he thinks is best for him under the rules.
Do you really think players would voice their displeasure of Johnson not being in camp? Would someone risk the wrath of the HC who has clearly imposed a "Keep your mouth shut" mentality? I think not. The distraction comes not from the "Minor Consequences" that the league might impose, but rather from what is bouncing around in players heads while they are soaking from a hard days work that their supposed teammate is skipping because he he does not like the direction the team is going even though he does not know the direction it is going because he is not there to see it. That does not scream team player no matter how you slice it.

For you to try to pretend that this is not a setback and a distraction for the team is absurd. Either asked to be traded or get to work. All of this poor Andre crap is nonsense. No player is guaranteed playoffs or championships. Plenty of players better than AJ have never sniffed a SB, yet they reported to work the next year without needing to ponder their poor millionaire life before being able to go on.

It Must be so hard for Dre to get out of bed each day knowing the shame and hardship he faces from being a Texan.

Andre is fast approaching Bowe Bergdahl status in my eyes, and who wants someone like that on their team? Someone who bails out when things get tough. You can try to romanticize this all you want, it boils down to a player who is being selfish and is no longer a team player. This is not a good example for his teammates, or more importantly all of the young kids who look up to this guy. So it is not about what I want him to do, it's about living up to your contract, and more importantly the role model he has become for millions of kids.

Did Dan Marino, or Barry Sanders ever behave this way? This is T.O., or Ochocinco kind of behavior. This is simply about his personal feelings, and as much as I used to respect Dre, I find his current behavior disgusting! Not that he will lose any sleep over it, but any respect and good will I ever had for the man will be gone if he continues this behavior.

"I always said I wanted to play for one team, and to be able to play for the Houston Texans for the rest of my career, it's a tremendous honor." -Andre Johnson
Old 06-15-2014   #1057
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
blah, blah, blah

For you to try to pretend that this is not a setback and a distraction for the team is absurd.
No, you've gone full on delusional as proven by:

Quote:
Andre is fast approaching Bowe Bergdahl status in my eyes, and who wants someone like that on their team?
You sound like a 2 year old girl screaming her life has been ruined because the cake shop put pink instead of fuchsia sprinkles on her birthday cupcakes.

Fine, it's less than ideal, but the sky is not falling.
Old 06-15-2014   #1058
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 70974 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What did you think about his first four years in the league when he didn't come to OTAs & worked out in Miami instead?

This is no different, he has no obligation whatsoever to be here... until next week.
He said he wont be here for Mandatory also. That's what i'm going off of.

PLUS in my defense i drink maybe 1 time a year and i was really ****ed up when i typed that, hell i dont even remember writing it, but i still partially agree with my drunken self, and must give myself credit for spelling also.
Old 06-15-2014   #1059
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Four different guys?!
Ridiculous.
And I've not seen a single word that says O'Brien thinks Andre' is a "major piece".
Think about it, under the "Patriot way" Tom Brady has only had one or two top tier WRs in his N.E. 13-yr career. And the two they had, they let walk.
Those (Welker/Moss) WRs you named both always routinely attended OTAs when they were part of the team. Heck, Welker was recovering from ACL surgery in 2010, but felt it important enough to participate (which included helping out the other WRs), even though he was only 4 months out of surgery and still wearing a heavy brace.

From another year where the Patriots had coaching changes.

Quote:
OTAs Begin, Don’t Discount Their Importance

Written by Steve Balestrieri
Posted May 21, 2012 at 5:57 pm

The New England Patriots started their OTAs today as the players (in shorts and helmets) start to go through their first organized team workouts for the 2012 season.

While teams have been doing off-season workouts together these are the first real teaching points for the Patriots’ coaching staff and the team can start back again with the basics. While most casual fans breathe a selective cry of “so what?” the answer to if these workouts are important lies within a few important points.

Team Building-
This is a very important aspect of any organization not just a professional NFL team. The Patriots have brought in many new free agents, draftees and unsigned rookie free agents. These initial practices are invaluable in showing the new guys how the Patriots conduct business. Everything from team meetings, how practices are conducted, what’s expected of veterans and rookies is spelled out early in the process.

Make no mistake, the Patriots and Bill Belichick value this very highly and this is where it all starts. Building team camaraderie and character begins today…now. Veterans will be looked upon as teachers as well as competitors and with so many coaches switching positions, this time will be invaluable to them to adjust to their new surroundings and different players.
And as far as OB not commenting on AJ being a "major piece," all I can say is that he has made all attempts to avoid the subject. Remember when asked about some players, he said we will only speak about the players on the field. The sky is certainly far from falling, but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Old 06-15-2014   #1060
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 94442 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Four different guys?!
Ridiculous.
I agree he needs to pick a starter at QB, but the beginning of training camp should work.

I'm not concerned he didn't name one in OTA's.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read