Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-09-2014   #361
BigBull
Veteran

Rep Power: 8553 BigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Well you have to take all things into consideration when evaluating him. Like no foster, an injured Ben Tate an injured Newton. Our offensive "mastermind" having a stroke. Kubiak breathing down his neck wanting to pull him first chance he gets. If you just look sat his record and sack yardage then hell yeah he sucks, but that is far from the whole story.

BTW i am a Tom Savage supporter so i am unbiased as well

It's not just the sacks to me he truly looks lost at times. I think he is what he is an undrafted QB than is good enough to be a career backup nothing more nothing less.

Sent from the future...
BigBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014   #362
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick visiting Texans (signs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull View Post
It's not just the sacks to me he truly looks lost at times. I think he is what he is an undrafted QB than is good enough to be a career backup nothing more nothing less.

Sent from the future...
He does sometimes look lost, but didnt our whole team look lost more often than not last season. I think with the right coaching he could do good.
Old 06-09-2014   #363
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I've got to imagine Rick Smith is doing his job & is shopping both Keenum & Yates. Whoever gets the biggest nibble is probably gone.
If Fitzpatrick is the starter, I would rather think that they would not shop the one with the biggest nibble, as they would want the best to remain in the event that the starter goes down, especially at the beginning of the season.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014   #364
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull View Post

Sent from the future...
I don't know if he ever looked lost to me. I don't think he panicked under pressure. I think he was totally cognizant about making the decisions that he made & never stopped making those bad decisions.
Old 06-09-2014   #365
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
If Fitzpatrick is the starter, I would rather think that they would not shop the one with the biggest nibble, as they would want the best to remain in the event that the starter goes down, especially at the beginning of the season.
Somebody thought Bortles was a top five pick. Somebody thinks Manziel is a better prospect than David Carr. Somebody thinks Blaine Gabbert has a little something/something left in the tank...

Somebody thinks we can actually get a nibble by dangling Tj/Case...

Not to be rude or anything, but just because someone else is higher on one or the other doesn't mean "we" see it the same way. Heck, they signed Fitzpatrick in the first place.
Old 06-09-2014   #366
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Somebody thinks we can actually get a nibble by dangling Tj/Case...
Who?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014   #367
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe that past performance in the Kubiak/Denver/Shanahan offense may not be directly transferable to the O'Brien/Belichick/N.E. offense. The N.E. offense requires a completely different mental capability/capacity than the Kubiak offense. It not only requires the QB to recognize what the defense is doing but the line and the receivers need to see the same thing(s) and make the right adjustments (which is why AJ needs to have his @$$ in camp but I digress...)

The guys who get to stay are those who demonstrate they can read the defense the quickest and make the right counter calls.

I wonder when O'Brien says they're all coming along equally if he means that all four are progressing swimmingly or that all four are equally lost.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014   #368
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 137393 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I believe that past performance in the Kubiak/Denver/Shanahan offense may not be directly transferable to the O'Brien/Belichick/N.E. offense. The N.E. offense requires a completely different mental capability/capacity than the Kubiak offense. It not only requires the QB to recognize what the defense is doing but the line and the receivers need to see the same thing(s) and make the right adjustments (which is why AJ needs to have his @$$ in camp but I digress...)

The guys who get to stay are those who demonstrate they can read the defense the quickest and make the right counter calls.

I wonder when O'Brien says they're all coming along equally if he means that all four are progressing swimmingly or that all four are equally lost.
This makes me think it'll be TJ who makes the cut, not Keenum.
If anything I expect that O'Brien will err on the side of taking the QB that is more prototypical towards his system, and that would be TJ, not Keenum.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #369
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Wasn't Keenum in an offense in college that required that kind of LOS awareness? Yates has been in Kubiak's system since he began at NC.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #370
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Wasn't Keenum in an offense in college that required that kind of LOS awareness? Yates has been in Kubiak's system since he began at NC.
Keenum is too big of a potential headache for a 3rd QB.
Old 06-11-2014   #371
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Keenum is too big of a potential headache for a 3rd QB.
So, we're going from open competition to potential headache?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #372
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 104354 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I personally think the whole "Open Competition" talk is just that... talk. I am certain OB after watching film and evaluating players in OTA's has a pretty good idea who he plans to go with, and the "Open competition" talk is just something to placate the fans. All we know for sure is, one of the 4 will not make it to camp.

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #373
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
I personally think the whole "Open Competition" talk is just that... talk. I am certain OB after watching film and evaluating players in OTA's has a pretty good idea who he plans to go with, and the "Open competition" talk is just something to placate the fans. All we know for sure is, one of the 4 will not make it to camp.
That is all cool as far as the perception of each of the fans.
I prefer to take OB's words.
Perhaps he has seen enough to make his evaluation.
Perhaps he wants to wait until the end of this week.
Perhaps he wants to wait until after next week's mini camp.

Also - and this has nothing to do with your post - from what I gather, what Chan Gailey ran at Georgia Tech the year OB was there was a spread offense, or in another word, the concept of putting players in space.
Mostly the targets were RBs and the quick receivers that can gain yards after the catch.

He brought that concept to the Bills, with Fitz as the QB most of the time.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012...-gailey-spread

At Gà Tech, the TEs combined for 19 catches.
In Buffalo, the RBs saw many more targets than the TEs, especially in the first few years.
Still, the TEs never combined for more than 53 receptions, a far cry from the Texans.

The same thing goes for the Pats.
It was only in 2010, when they had both Gronk and Hernandez (and OB's last year there) that the TEs were featured more.
That was because they both can make plays in space, not because of the mere fact that they are TEs.

We've already heard how OB mentioned about the importance of Foster and the slot receiver.
Whether they employ a 2 TE set or not, the concept is still there.

The spread and the no huddle is right down Keenum's alley, not so with Yates.

If OB decide to go with Yates, it won't be because of his familiarity with the system or that he's a prototype QB to run the system.

That QB needs to make a decision quickly and get the ball out.

We didn't see Keenum do enough of that due partially to the WCO, more play actions, the route schemes (and of course, due to Keenum's inexperience), but the guy had done it plenty at the collegiate level.
(Just think of how many pass attempts he had taken in the spread.)

Again, OB might still decide to go with Yates.
My point here is just to lay out the background.
Old 06-11-2014   #374
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have no doubt that he is receiving an honest assessment from the coaches. Perhaps he shows himself to be the best QB on the team... If, however, the Texans become convinced that Fitzpatrick is their best short term option and feel good about Savage's development, it would make no sense to keep Keenum as the 3rd QB. Who needs a 3rd string player to create controversy with fans, media, etc... And potentially within the locker room if the team doesn't see him as the present or the future. Yates is certainly a competent 3 and will be a free agent after the season- meaning no dead money and the potential for a late round compensatory pick when he signs elsewhere.
Old 06-11-2014   #375
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I have no doubt that he is receiving an honest assessment from the coaches. Perhaps he shows himself to be the best QB on the team... If, however, the Texans become convinced that Fitzpatrick is their best short term option and feel good about Savage's development, it would make no sense to keep Keenum as the 3rd QB. Who needs a 3rd string player to create controversy with fans, media, etc... And potentially within the locker room if the team doesn't see him as the present or the future. Yates is certainly a competent 3 and will be a free agent after the season- meaning no dead money and the potential for a late round compensatory pick when he signs elsewhere.
There's no dead money with Keenum next year either.
With only KJ, JJo, and BR as UFAs that are worth something (and they might resign one or all of them), Yates is no guarantee for a comp pick.
Even if he does bring one, it will likely be a 7th rounder.

If they tender Keenum at the second level; it requires just $2M or they get a second rounder.

They have the choice of retaining Fitz or to draft another QB.
Old 06-11-2014   #376
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
There's no dead money with Keenum next year either.
With only KJ, JJo, and BR as UFAs that are worth something (and they might resign one or all of them), Yates is no guarantee for a comp pick.
Even if he does bring one, it will likely be a 7th rounder.

If they tender Keenum at the second level; it requires just $2M or they get a second rounder.

They have the choice of retaining Fitz or to draft another QB.
That's actually pretty cool
Old 1 Week Ago   #377
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 61397 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Adam Wexler ‏@awexler
Fitzpatrick (broken leg) will finish w/ career high 95.3 rating (previous: 83.3), 17TD, 8INT. Also 6-5 record, 1st winning record of career
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #378
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 20600 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Fitz out for season - broken leg

Per NFL.COM
Old 1 Week Ago   #379
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 61397 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO
Default Re: Fitz out for season - broken leg

Last edited by OzzO; 1 Week Ago at 04:33 PM. Reason: threads combined
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #380
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33797 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fitz out for season - broken leg

He was more than serviceable and I applaud the job he did starting for the Texans in 2014, but if I had to guess about Ryan Fitzpatrick and Ryan Mallett, neither Ryan will be the Texans starting quarterback entering the 2015 season.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read