Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-08-2014   #41
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: espn says "Texans: 25th best roster"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Yep Mercilus did have 7 sacks last season, and thats when everyone on the team was having trouble getting to the QB.
Mercilus isn't an elite talent. He may be only a slightly above avg pass rusher. He certainly wont fit what RAC wants in his SAM to cover TE's/RB's. So to me this spells out situational pass rusher.

RAC is all about putting players is situations to succeed. Pass rush is what Mercilus does best and there's great value in that role.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014   #42
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I think you nailed it pretty good steelb.

A couple of thoughts.

I know everyone and all their kinfolk have been down on #75 since jumpstreet and he was more than culpable considering the results. I'm on record as saying, given the chance, when healthy, he will produce. If one would just stop and look at the entire picture I don't think his future is as grim as most think and would have everyone believe. I base my stance on the what happened in his real world NFL experience of three years. He was a platooning his rookie season. After he won/was awarded the starting position he blew out his patellar tendon. A serious injury. Doc said at the time if he wasn't afforded the opportunity heal fully he could never be expected to return to pre-injury form. We're all aware of the "company drs." willingness to give a player a fit for duty when chances are more than pretty good an IME from a private doctor of his choosing would result in an opinion that Newton was not ready to take the field yet. He just wasn't ready and that was evident in his play. #75 is now fully healed and over the off season lost fat & gained muscle . I don't recall where I heard it (mothership) or read it (again) so I don't have a link but it was reported that he was moving much better, appeared nimble and was quicker on his feet. I hope he plays as well as I think he can. I think he's made the effort to do so. If not then:

I didn't include Williams because I don't think he'll ever see an NFL field. I really hope I'm wrong but with what Doc says along with the research I've done his future in the league just doesn't appear promising. AT ALL.

I truly hope Mercilus can pony up and show us he was/is worthy of his draft status. With more pressure from upfront other than JJ it wouldn't surprise me. Wade seemed like a fair judge of talent. I think this is the year he'll show us that he is an NFL talent and not a "one year wonder" in school. Tarpinian I agree is another one to watch. He stood out several times last season with good, heads up play. I expect to see quite a bit of him this season. O'Brien has highlighted his name as doing well during OTAs before including everyone else and the grounds keepers. Williams appears to be a good find as well from what I've heard and read.

Bottom line is I think this defense can and will play in the league's top ten when they get the scheme down and learn each other during the heat of battle. In the end none of us have anything more to do with it than discuss it amongst ourselves(it's what we do). Bill O'Brien is going to field the best team of players that he possibly can. It's not only in his and the team's best interest, but his job as well.

I'm reservedly optimistic about our Texans this upcoming season but the Kool-Aid and accompanying glasses will remain on the top shelf of the closet.

Agreed about Newton, I'm actually excited to see how much he has/will improve now that he's healthy. Unfortunately I agree with you on B.Williams.

This yr is a put up or shut up yr for Mercilus. Just because he was a 1st rd pick doesn't mean he's a 1st rd talent. I hope he does well.

We have the same outlook on the Texans prospects this season. Top 10 defense and decent QB play = playoffs. IMHO
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014   #43
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Here's the way I see it, based off of last yr (Injuries included.)

Brown - is a green with a chance to be a blue. Due to injury and playing next to an injured W.Smith.

Foster- Should be a light green because he's coming off back surgery and you don't know how long it will be before his back goes out again.

Cushing- Who knows what his level of play will be or if he will get injured again. Light green seems fair.

Watt/AJ- Definitely Blue.
Fitzpatrick= Orange, I agree.
Griffin= Agreed/ Graham will be replaced by Fiedo so this grade should be a purple.

Hopkins- Yellow = Agreed with a chance for great improvement in yr 2.
Martin- Agreed. Luckily he will only be the KR/PR if he even makes the team. I look for Posey/Labhart/Bonner to take Martin's spot on the roster. So this position will be upgraded.

Jones- Orange= Agreed, but Su'a-Filo was drafted to be a major upgrade so I don't think this grade is fair.

Myers/Brooks- Light Green= Agreed, But I look for a big improvement from Brooks as a 2nd yr starter.

Newton-Red= Agreed, But he will get better or be replaced by Ques/Williams/Witzmann. I look for this position to be a lot better than most people think this yr.

Powe- Gray = Agreed, But I feel Nix, if healthy will become the best NT since the Texans inception. Massive upgrade.

I'm not sold on Nix at this point. He didn't look very good last year. The year before he looked great. Which one will we be getting? Hopefully he just wasn't a 100% last year and will return to the previous years form. I see why he fell to the third round. Still great value there but he's no sure thing. I'm not ready to proclaim him better than Payne at this point. Fingers crossed though....

Crick- Orange = Agreed, Crick has potential to be a light green, since this is his 1st real chance to get PT.

I just don't see Crick fitting in in this defense. This is from his biggest supporter in his draft. Hope I'm wrong. I see Peagan and Mathews getting the lions share of snaps opposite of Watt.

Reed- Red= Disagree. Reed should have been playing ILB all along. He will be a major upgrade. Great against the run and can cover the deep middle against TE's.

Mercilus- Orange= Agreed, Situational Pass rusher at best. I hope that Tarpinian (SP?) or Williams can beat Mercilus out. This position needs upgrading.

I don't see Mercilous fitting in here at all except as a backup to Clowney. He has never been asked to cover anyone.

Joseph- Light green= Disagree, Joseph's play has really suffered due to injury the last couple of yrs. He has been playing at an orange level. But if healthy he could become a blue/green level player.

Jackson- Yellow = Agreed.
Harris- Orange= Agreed, he needs to improve majorly or be replaced.
Swearinger- Orange= Agreed, But if he can keep his head on his shoulders I look for Swearinger to be one of the most improved players on the roster.

Clemons- Agreed

Thoughts?
I hope this coaching staff lets the offseason dictate who gets playing time. I see Boyie (sp) ousting Harris for a roster spot. He should of been on the roster last year.
Old 06-08-2014   #44
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Mercilus isn't an elite talent. He may be only a slightly above avg pass rusher. He certainly wont fit what RAC wants in his SAM to cover TE's/RB's. So to me this spells out situational pass rusher.

RAC is all about putting players is situations to succeed. Pass rush is what Mercilus does best and there's great value in that role.
I didn't think RAC's 3-4 had a "traditional" "SAM" backer. I thought he used more of a ROLB & a LOLB, where they're responsibilities are pretty much the same. Either one can be dropped into coverage at any time, lending to the unpredictability of the Defensive front.

IOTW, both OLBs will have to be fairly adept at rushing the QB, setting the edge, containing the backside, & dropping into coverage. While Mercilus' strong suite may not be dropping into coverage or setting the edge, his position on the team is going to be determined by an overall grade.

I think.
Old 06-08-2014   #45
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I hope this coaching staff lets the offseason dictate who gets playing time. I see Boyie (sp) ousting Harris for a roster spot. He should of been on the roster last year.
Kinda... they're still in shorts. But I get what you're saying. I hope this competition continues into the season. If you don't produce on the field, time for someone else to get a shot.
Old 06-09-2014   #46
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

We have the best defensive player in football, one of the best linebackers in football, one of the best left tackles in football, one of the best running backs in football, and one of the best wide receivers in football.

Those five guys alone make this roster better than 25th.

Of course, ESPN is a clown show and has been a clown show and anyone who continues to watch their programming or read their analysis is a contributor to the downfall of sports society.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014   #47
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
Of course, ESPN is a clown show and has been a clown show and anyone who continues to watch their programming or read their analysis is a contributor to the downfall of sports society.
Funny you should mention that, because just five weeks ago... heck, as recently as three weeks ago... as a matter of fact, you can find a thread that is active today where someone is talking about the many holes we have on our team & why this "turnaround" is going to take more two years minimum.

It's been interesting reading all these arguments against ESPN's analysis... gives me hope for the play offs in 2014.
Old 06-09-2014   #48
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Funny you should mention that, because just five weeks ago... heck, as recently as three weeks ago... as a matter of fact, you can find a thread that is active today where someone is talking about the many holes we have on our team & why this "turnaround" is going to take more two years minimum.

It's been interesting reading all these arguments against ESPN's analysis... gives me hope for the play offs in 2014.
Until training camp unfolds and we know how the starting lineups are populated and how those lineups execute the new offense and new defense, we don't know where we fit.

Too many open questions still remain....

will we fix the right side of the O-line?
who will step up and play LG?
can Foster flourish in this new offense the way he did under the stretch offense?
Can the guys we think that will start at OLB (or ILB for that matter) be effective in pass coverage?
If A.J. comes back how long will it take for whoever starts at QB to click?
WILL A.J. come back?
Is Graham our #1 TE? If so, will he step his game up this year?
Are we really gonna start Fitzpatrick??

With all those questions - and more - 25th sounds kinda high.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014   #49
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Until training camp unfolds and we know how the starting lineups are populated and how those lineups execute the new offense and new defense, we don't know where we fit.

can Foster flourish in this new offense the way he did under the stretch offense?
Can the guys we think that will start at OLB (or ILB for that matter) be effective in pass coverage?
WILL A.J. come back?

There are just an absolute ton of questions surrounding this team. I think it's why most of us predicted between 7-9 wins this season. It going to take several folks we aren't counting on to step up and become special this year if we are to be more than just mediocre.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014   #50
sandman
All Pro

Rep Power: 50409 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

WILL A.J. come back?

Seems that everyone is trying to come up with their own metrics so they can have a unique take. Using a single year performance to determine if a player is elite or not seems short-sighted. Too high of a reward/punishment scale to have a lot of credibility. Make this same assessment for 2012 and the Texans probably score Top 5 instead of close to Bottom 5. Neither would be completely accurate.

That being said, the Texans have areas they need to address. We as fans see those areas in granular detail because this is our team. Outside of not having a known #1 QB on this team, I don't see the areas of concern being that unique from any other NFL team.

O-line and LB's especially. Seems that these are two default areas that most teams' fans discuss to death in the off season.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014   #51
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 281155 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...With all those questions - and more - 25th sounds kinda high.
Well, at least we'll be playing in what looks to be historically one of the worst divisions in the last 10 years, or so.

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014   #52
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Should've kept my mouth shut... had a positive thread going & I had to screw it up.
Old 06-09-2014   #53
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Should've kept my mouth shut... had a positive thread going & I had to screw it up.
Well if the answers to the questions I posed are positive, then we can still compete for the playoffs.

The optimist in me says the answers will go thusly...

Yes, Quess fills the RT spot like a champ and Xavier Su'a-Filo steps in an plays RG admirably.
Ben Jones steps in and plays the level Wade Smith did when he first got here.
Foster will be used like the Pats used Stevan Ridley. Alfred Blue will be our bruiser, thus saving wear and tear on Foster.
Non-problem. RAC will dial up so many blends of blitzes and Watt/Clowney stunts that the LBs won't have to cover for more than 2 - 2-1/2 secs at the most.
A.J. will come back for mandatory OTAs at the end of June. By the end preseason Fitzpatrick will realize the quick slant to A.J. (and resulting YAC yds) are his bestest friend ever.
WILL A.J. come back?
See above
No. The big rookie, Fiedorowicz will take his job. Big (in more ways than one) upgrade for the position.
Yep. But he knows this is his last/best chance to make a positive name for himself. He won't blow it by trying to be too much of a hero. There are too many weapons around him - Foster, Andre, Fiedorowicz, Hopkins, etc. - for him to have to win games by himself; just get them the ball in space and watch the show.

See, I can be positive.
...on the right mix of drugs.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014   #54
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18070 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Well, at least we'll be playing in what looks to be historically one of the worst divisions in the last 10 years, or so.
That remains to be seen, but I don't think that'll be the case at all.

Call me crazy, but I wouldn't be shocked to see one, if not two wild cards coming from the AFCS. In fact, I expect it--I think the Colts, Texas and Titans will all make the playoffs.
Old 06-09-2014   #55
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
That remains to be seen, but I don't think that'll be the case at all.

Call me crazy, but I wouldn't be shocked to see one, if not two wild cards coming from the AFCS. In fact, I expect it--I think the Colts, Texas and Titans will all make the playoffs.
I think we've got a good group of coaches in this division & it's going to be one of the toughest divisions in the league very soon. Pagano, Whisenhunt, Bradley, & O'Brien... this could be the start of something good.
Old 06-09-2014   #56
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17795 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting. Some folks on this very board tried to convince me that this team was a playoff caliber team when I argued that a rough season ahead was probably in the works. I'd even venture to say that 25th was being generous.
Old 06-09-2014   #57
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Interesting. Some folks on this very board tried to convince me that this team was a playoff caliber team when I argued that a rough season ahead was probably in the works. I'd even venture to say that 25th was being generous.
My point exactly... well, 180 degrees out. I think there are more people on this board thinking we're going to win less than 7 games in 2014. & I don't think the ones saying we could get into the play-offs in 2014 are saying we're "play-off caliber" but that we've got a weak schedule.

Getting to the play-offs in 2014 doesn't mean that we're very good imo, just means that we're better than the worst teams in the AFC. If we beat a division winner, Cincinnati, Denver, New England, Indy... then that would say a lot more than getting to the play offs.
Old 06-10-2014   #58
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My point exactly... well, 180 degrees out. I think there are more people on this board thinking we're going to win less than 7 games in 2014. & I don't think the ones saying we could get into the play-offs in 2014 are saying we're "play-off caliber" but that we've got a weak schedule.

Getting to the play-offs in 2014 doesn't mean that we're very good imo, just means that we're better than the worst teams in the AFC. If we beat a division winner, Cincinnati, Denver, New England, Indy... then that would say a lot more than getting to the play offs.
yeah but didn't the 7-9 seahawks sneak into the play offs and actually win a game there. Anything is possible and i think we have a more talented team now than they had at the time.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read