Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-07-2014   #301
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick visiting Texans (signs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
First, which offense did Fitzpatrick play in that was similar?

Second... we paid Sage to come in to be the back up for $3M back in 2006. A $1.5M increase in nine seasons isn't crazy. Starters not on their rookie contract get $6 or more. Heck, the Vikings signed Sage to a two year $9M deal after trading a 4th round pick for him to back up Tavaris Jackson.

The Jets signed Vick to a one year $5M deal. What are their expectations of Michael Vick?
I have seen both OB and Fitz say on TV that he has payed in a similar offense, OB said the terminology was different but play was same. I'm almost positive it was also mentioned in the OTA thread that Fitz was a fit due to this and his intelligence. I have never watched him before.

I did not understand signing Sage either.
Old 06-07-2014   #302
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Remember what they paid Reed to be a "mentor."
Yep Fitz' career pretty much parallels Reed's. lol
Old 06-07-2014   #303
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Brian T. Smith @ChronBrianSmith
Quote:
Frerotte: "Look, dude, you’re either gonna run with the receivers or gonna slow it down a little bit. That’s just how it’s going to go."

Gus Frerotte and Mark Bulger jokingly bullied Fitzpatrick on 2006 #Rams. Told him he was running sprints too fast.

Fitzpatrick knew Bill Kollar in St. Louis and lived near him in Arizona. #Texans TE coach John Perry tried to recruit Fitz to Dartmouth.

Another reason #Texans are currently banking on Ryan Fitzpatrick: He had previous working relationships with seven of team's coaches. #NFL

Ryan Fitzpatrick consulted with 15-year, seven-team ex-pro before signing with #Texans. His mentor and close friend, Gus Frerotte. #NFL
Quote:
Cosell on Fitz: "We're not talking about a top-five starter. ... But O'Brien sees a guy he can mold with how he structures his offense."

Cossel said Bill O'Brien is "one of the best in the business" and could be a perfect fit for Fitzpatrick at this point in QB's career.

If #Texans define what Fitzpatrick is\isn't allowed to do, turnovers will be limited and new system will play to Fitzpatrick's strengths.

Greg Cossel said Ryan Fitzpatrick has potential to excel with Bill O'Brien, George Godsey in a smart offense that establishes "gray areas."

#NFL Films guru Greg Cossel believes #Texans' Ryan Fitzpatrick could be one of league's surprise QBs this season.
Quote:
Fitzpatrick is an equal opportunity dad. Watched "Frozen" several times with his daughters. #Texans

Ryan Fitzpatrick is big into superhero movies. Also a Legos fans. Saw the Lego movie "multiple times" with his kids. "I'm just a big kid."

#Texans' expected Week 1 starting QB wore an Avengers T-shirt and Transformers hat at same time this week. #Pro

Early positive words about QB Ryan Fitzpatrick from O'Brien. #Texans #NFL

#Texans have discussed with Fitzpatrick how he can limit turnovers this year. Previous systems, background, intelligence good fits for team
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014   #304
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Brian T. Smith @ChronBrianSmith
Quote:
#Texans' expected Week 1 starting QB wore an Avengers T-shirt and Transformers hat at same time this week. #Pro
Get this guy out of Houston...

Old 06-08-2014   #305
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Winding road leads Texans QB Fitzpatrick to big opportunity
By Brian T. Smith

Quote:
Texans wide receivers coach Stan Hixon was in Buffalo when Fitzpatrick started for the Bills. Special teams coach Bob Ligashesky was in St. Louis when Fitzpatrick was a rookie Ram. Secondary coach John Butler was at Harvard when Fitzpatrick wore crimson. Tight ends coach John Perry once tried to get Fitzpatrick to come to Dartmouth. Texans coaches Bill Kollar, Craig Fitzgerald and Sean Hayes also saw their life paths cross with Fitzpatrick's.
"I was just looking at his staff, and there were so many people from my past. … I was just sitting there thinking, 'Man, I'm getting old,' " Fitzpatrick said.
Quarterbacks coach George Godsey and O'Brien believe that if Fitzpatrick's turnovers are minimized and his strengths are accentuated, the Texans have the potential to "develop" a veteran, system-based quarterback. If the experiment works, Fitzpatrick will rely on running back Arian Foster, three tight ends, wide receivers Andre Johnson and DeAndre Hopkins, and a new emphasis on a slot receiver to win tight games.
"It's about decision-making," O'Brien said. "Not forcing the ball and understanding that you have a really good back out of the backfield in Foster that you can always check it down to. … We believe in our system. But at the end of the day, Ryan, he needs to go out there and make good decisions and make sure he is doing what is best for the team."

To NFL Films senior producer Greg Cosell, Fitzpatrick could be the perfect answer for the 2014 Texans. The positives: good arm, high intelligence, legit experience, a natural feel for the position. The negatives: limited athleticism, occasionally frenetic in the pocket, random regrettable throws that can immediately turn games upside down.

Fitzpatrick never was and never will be confused for an elite starter. But if "gray areas" are removed, his assets are harnessed and his role is clearly defined - throw here and here, never there - a team searching since 2002 for a franchise quarterback could have an unexpected winner this season.

"A quarterback like Fitzpatrick can sometimes be exposed, which is why he's Ryan Fitzpatrick and not Tom Brady," Cosell said. "But for the most part, I think Bill sees a guy that he can really manipulate, in a positive sense, and control … and get the most out of him."...
Old 06-08-2014   #306
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

To this day, I'm still trying to figure out Fitzpatrick's label as a "smart QB." Isn't that an oxymoron when you apply it to 10 years of playing catch with the wrong team?
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014   #307
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
First, which offense did Fitzpatrick play in that was similar?

Second... we paid Sage to come in to be the back up for $3M back in 2006. A $1.5M increase in nine seasons isn't crazy. Starters not on their rookie contract get $6 or more. Heck, the Vikings signed Sage to a two year $9M deal after trading a 4th round pick for him to back up Tavaris Jackson.

The Jets signed Vick to a one year $5M deal. What are their expectations of Michael Vick?
TK, here is the post I was referring to on MB. It was post again here between your thread above and this one. Plus the TV comments I noted.
Old 06-08-2014   #308
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
To this day, I'm still trying to figure out Fitzpatrick's label as a "smart QB." Isn't that an oxymoron when you apply it to 10 years of playing catch with the wrong team?
Hey Doc! Even smart guys can look like they are playing for the other side; just look at the White House and current events.
Old 06-08-2014   #309
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Hey Doc! Even smart guys can look like they are playing for the other side; just look at the White House and current events.
I have to concur with Doc.
Watching Fitz play for the Titans last year, smart is anything but.

If he plays at that level, Keenum gets the start by default.
Besides all the turnovers that appeared on the stats sheet, he averaged nearly two could-have-been Ints that were dropped by defenders per game, some under pressures, some not.

I would really hate to see these scenarios reoccur on game day with live bullets flying.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014   #310
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

Besides all the turnovers that appeared on the stats sheet, he averaged nearly two could-have-been Ints that were dropped by defenders per game, some under pressures, some not.

I would really hate to see these scenarios reoccur on game day with live bullets flying.
We lived thru Schaubs glorious entrance into NFL record books last season, at this point not much we as texans fans cant handle.
Old 06-08-2014   #311
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

Thanks for input 76 as I said I have not watch Fitz play but hope as all do that OB can turn him into better than avg. Unless team is a repeat of last season, coaching gets a pass from me this season to work the players into system.
Old 06-08-2014   #312
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Smart individual.

FitzMagic has a history of perplexingly bad decisions as a QB. Godsey's job is to exorcise the demons behind those head-scratching choices.

It's what my mentor first taught me about trading -- focus on minimizing your losses, the profits will take care of themselves.
Old 06-08-2014   #313
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Smart individual.

FitzMagic has a history of perplexingly bad decisions as a QB. Godsey's job is to exorcise the demons behind those head-scratching choices.

It's what my mentor first taught me about trading -- focus on minimizing your losses, the profits will take care of themselves.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVoKlqbz1l4 Perhaps Ace agrees.
Old 06-08-2014   #314
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Smart individual.

This is what I want to see this year, eliminating mistakes. This is the way i see O'Brien putting his staff, the vets and the rookies together. I want to see training the basics, then hustle and effort from players. I do not want to see "playing to stay close and hope to pull out a win in fourth quarter." Just eliminate mental errors and take it to the opponent. I prefer a run first, pound it offense and think this Oline and RBs will make me happy. If we are consistent, we will beat most teams and play good games against the better teams.
Old 06-08-2014   #315
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Winding road leads Texans QB Fitzpatrick to big opportunity
By Brian T. Smith
Quote:
"If you had asked me 10 years ago, 'If you had a 10-year career, would you be happy with it?' I'd have said, 'Yeah,' " Fitzpatrick said. "But for me, I think there's a lot of unfinished business, in terms of things that I want to do and prove and things that I expect out of myself that I still haven't done."
I'd love to have a 1-on-1 with him & ask him what it is he'd like to accomplish, what's been his biggest obstacle in the past, & how he plans on overcoming that obstacle in the future.
Old 06-08-2014   #316
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd love to have a 1-on-1 with him & ask him what it is he'd like to accomplish.........less INTs, what's been his biggest obstacle in the past........a D on the field, & how he plans on overcoming that obstacle in the future.......hand the ball off to anyone within hearing distance.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014   #317
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 23872 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Smart individual.

We need Tangina!!!!!!!

Old 06-08-2014   #318
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
a NERD with a BEARD.

#winning
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014   #319
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How many QBs can you think of with such a long consistent history of poor TD to INT ratio that ever turned it around, no matter who the coach was?
Late blossoming QBs after moving into better situations:

Jim plunkett
Mark bulger
Rich Gannon
Vinnie testeverde
Tommy Maddox
Steve young
Jeff George
Trent green

That is off the top of my head.
Old 06-09-2014   #320
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Harvard grad.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read