Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-07-2014   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default espn says "Texans: 25th best roster"

Which NFL teams have the best collections of players?
Quote:

Quote:
Key: Blue=Elite; Green=High quality; Light green=Good starter; Yellow=Average starter; Orange=Below-average starter; Red=Poor starter; Gray=Not enough information; Purple=Rookie
25. Houston Texans

Excitement is in the air in Houston at the prospect of teaming Jadeveon Clowney with J.J. Watt and unleashing destruction on opposing offenses, but the problem is that the roster is riddled with issues everywhere else.

Watt was the best player in football a year ago and a virtually unstoppable force inside, generating 85 total pressures and earning them at a rate of one every 6.1 rushing attempts -- a rate better than anybody not named Robert Quinn -- and yet the Texans still stumbled to just two wins on the season. Clowney will no doubt help, but the team needs a revamp elsewhere. The offensive line, not far removed from being the best unit in football, is suddenly a questionable entity now that they are moving away from the zone-blocking scheme that they executed so well. The defensive secondary is talented but inconsistent, and the biggest problem of all is that there is still no real answer at quarterback, with Ryan Fitzpatrick being a caretaker at best.

By the numbers: The Texans span the entire color-coded spectrum, with their projected starters featuring everything from a pair of blue-chippers to a rookie and a player in Jerrell Powe whom we just have not seen enough snaps to accurately quantify. The real issue, though, is with below-average players. Eight of them (33.3 percent) currently occupy places among the starting lineups.
FYI (if you're not an insider); Colts lead the AFC South at 12, Robert Mathis is their only elite player. Titans are 21st, & Jacksonville is 32nd.

Cowboys are 18th with no elite players.

Top ten:
  1. Seahawks
  2. 49ers
  3. Broncos
  4. Saints
  5. Eagles
  6. Patriots
  7. Bengals
  8. Packers
  9. Cardinals
  10. Native Americans wearing big feathered headdresses
Old 06-07-2014   #2
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: espn says "Texans: 25th best roster"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Which NFL teams have the best collections of players?FYI (if you're not an insider); Colts lead the AFC South at 12, Robert Mathis is their only elite player. Titans are 21st, & Jacksonville is 32nd.

Cowboys are 18th with no elite players.

Top ten:
  1. Seahawks
  2. 49ers
  3. Broncos
  4. Saints
  5. Eagles
  6. Patriots
  7. Bengals
  8. Packers
  9. Cardinals
  10. Native Americans wearing big feathered headdresses
Sounds like a BS favoritism list to me. I hate ignorant writers !
Old 06-07-2014   #3
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

And how can you not list D. Brown, Foster and Cushing as elite players ? This whole list is just bad opinion.
Old 06-07-2014   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
And how can you not list D. Brown, Foster and Cushing as elite players ? This whole list is just bad opinion.
They're actually just putting together the numbers PFF puts out... PFF who we all love because their stats show Jj Watt as the best defensive player in the league two years running, they're also the first to call DBrown Elite, outside of Houston... DB had an off year & Cush (& Arian) had season ending injuries.

Old 06-07-2014   #5
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 77701 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Foster and Cushing both had bad injuries, and Brown wasnt as good last year as previous seasons. I don't really agree but with how quickly players fall off it's not a terrible argument or opinion.
Old 06-07-2014   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Foster and Cushing both had bad injuries, and Brown wasnt as good last year as previous seasons. I don't really agree but with how quickly players fall off it's not a terrible argument or opinion.
True. Seems their desire to be up to date would include shifting Reed to not enough information instead of using his rating as an OLB.
Old 06-07-2014   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
True... the only thing I can fault them with is that they're focused on the past season, giving no consideration to previous seasons. But... they did the same with all teams, all players. Julio Jones is elite... Dez Bryant is elite... They're not showing it that way.

Would be nice to see the same "study" done looking through a three or four year window.
Old 06-07-2014   #8
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
True... the only thing I can fault them with is that they're focused on the past season, giving no consideration to previous seasons. But... they did the same with all teams, all players. Julio Jones is elite... Dez Bryant is elite... They're not showing it that way.

Would be nice to see the same "study" done looking through a three or four year window.
I just dont agree that we have the 25th best Roster, D Brown had an off year, Arian is back looks healthy and Cush is back. Jo Jo also had an off year, and i think KJ is better than they are giving him credit for.
Old 06-07-2014   #9
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 148026 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

"ESPN says" and he starts a thread. Joke.
Old 06-07-2014   #10
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it's somewhat fair, but JC should at least move them up a place or two.
They might want to consider all the involved factors such a fiercer pass rush can help put the secondary in a better position or a better running game can help elevate other players as well.

For example, when the Texans can grind it out more, Newton won't look so bad as there are fewer pass snaps to help put him in the red.
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014   #11
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
For example, when the Texans can grind it out more, Newton won't look so bad as there are fewer pass snaps to help put him in the red.
From my understanding, O'Brien likes to throw more than Kubiak. Kubiak always strived for a 50%-50% run-pass ratio.
Old 06-07-2014   #12
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with the individual player ratings for us -- outside of the fact that Griffin is a Y & Graham is an H/move -- but I don't necessarily agree with the overall roster rankings. I think we're getting dinged harder for QB spot, which is understandable. I'll be surprised if Xavier Sua-Filo isn't starting at LG.

As I've stated many time before, our problem is with depth at a number of positions. A key injury could derail our season. I think we're a draft away from being ready to address the realities of a football season and contend.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014   #13
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
From my understanding, O'Brien likes to throw more than Kubiak. Kubiak always strived for a 50%-50% run-pass ratio.
And I would agree. (Did I just type that?) BUT and there's always a BUT he KNOWS he can't do that this season. So he stocked up on big nasties in the trenches because like all wise coaches he's been following the board and has heeded steelb's passionate rant about doing same. This team is built to run it down the opposition's throat and make them like it all the while stifling whatever they try to do as an offense.

When he does get *that guy* or groom one of the whippersnappers he already has in the fold the air raid will commence.

My opinion, as stated prior, is that that's not going to be until midseason at best. I believe it's going to take that long for the 0 to jell into a unit that can be trusted and has shown that they can be on the same page and think as one.

Till then: A Cloud -0- Dust!!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014   #14
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101400 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

The texans were 2-14 last season. Even if, like me, you think it was largely due to poor coaching and Matt Schaub imploding lots of players on this team didn't play well. Or didn't play as well as we think they should.

Of course they are going to rank us low.

I don't fully agree with their list. Really I think it's useless. But I get why they have us where we are.
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014   #15
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
True... the only thing I can fault them with is that they're focused on the past season, giving no consideration to previous seasons. But... they did the same with all teams, all players.
Well, to be fair, they also aren't projecting things either. As in, how good will Cushing be after two consecutive knee surgeries? Some of the greatest players in the game have had their careers turn ordinary because of injury.

I'm a little more optimistic about the OL than they are, and I think a couple guys they listed as average or below average have some improvement in their future.
Old 06-07-2014   #16
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
There's no telling what the offense will actually look like.

Last year, Penn St. Averaged nearly 42 rushes as compared with 34 pass attempts.
(Without taking into accounts sacks and not knowing how many QB scrambles were supposed to be pass plays.) - with a Fr QB
The previous year, it was 40/38 in favor of the run. - with a Sr QB

He will probably have a more passing oriented offense for this level, but we don't know yet.
At any rate, I still think that the running game works, he'll stay with it more.
There's always the chance he'll call more pass plays to the RB, but that really is just an extension of the running game, IMO.
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014   #17
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

League rank & passing play percentage: O'Brien compared to Texans
Code:
14	New England	58.90%

31	Houston	        47.77%

Code:
11	Houston	        58.89%

25	New England	54.70%

(Kyle Shanahan)
Code:
9	Houston	        59.25%

14	New England	57.51%
assuming these stats are good: http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stats/
Old 06-07-2014   #18
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 77701 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

If O'Brien is as committed to getting Foster more passes then I think that the pass run ratio is going to be higher than at least the last year of the Kubiak regime.
Old 06-07-2014   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
League rank & passing play percentage: O'Brien compared to Texans
Code:
14	New England	58.90%

31	Houston	        47.77%

Code:
11	Houston	        58.89%

25	New England	54.70%

(Kyle Shanahan)
Code:
9	Houston	        59.25%

14	New England	57.51%
assuming these stats are good: http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stats/
2011 almost needs to be thrown out because the numbers are skewed by Schaub going down so they ran the hell out of the ball with Yates.
Old 06-07-2014   #20
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
2011 almost needs to be thrown out because the numbers are skewed by Schaub going down so they ran the hell out of the ball with Yates.
Yeah, good note, but it's rounds out the 3 years OB was calling plays in NE.

Interesting Passing Play Percentages/Rankings for 2013...
Code:
13	Denver	        59.68%
18	New England	57.93%
31	San Francisco	47.77%
32	Seattle	        47.29%

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read