Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-06-2014   #281
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 288146 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick visiting Texans (signs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Why is it that the Titans released him after just one year of a two-yr contract?

Sure sounds like they thought of him as a one-yr rental?!?
Fired the old HC & old OC & his pet backup QB.

New HC & new OC wanted his own pet cheaper backup -- Charlie Whitehurst -- as they drafted a QB.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014   #282
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Why is it that the Titans released him after just one year of a two-yr contract?

Sure sounds like they thought of him as a one-yr rental?!?
If the Titans let him go, then chances are he's a pretty good QB.

I'm skeptical of the move myself. They chose Charlie Whitehurst in lieu of Fitz, who like you said was already under contract.

They've got a new HC, but didn't draft a guy until the 6th... makes you wonder.
Old 06-06-2014   #283
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
How many QBs can you think of with such a long consistent history of poor TD to INT ratio that ever turned it around, no matter who the coach was?
What did you think of Jake Plummer?

Last edited by thunderkyss; 06-06-2014 at 10:28 PM.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014   #284
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331852 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How many QBs can you think of with such a long consistent history of poor TD to INT ratio that ever turned it around, no matter who the coach was?
Rich Gannon & Brad Johnson both generally sucked and are known essentially for single or few year stretches in the middle of careers of mediocrity.

Fitz is a strange case. He has a lot of starts but I view him more as a backup who has fallen into the starts rather than ever really having been a starting QB and TD/INT is a flaky thing to judge for backups. Having said that, I hope like hell someone beats him out because to me the reasonable expectation for him is a marginal gain over last year's Schaub and nothing approaching pre-injury Schaub.
Old 06-06-2014   #285
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
...I hope like hell someone beats him out because to me the reasonable expectation for him is a marginal gain over last year's Schaub and nothing approaching pre-injury Schaub.
My thoughts exactly. I will add, the bar is low. I think they set the bar low on purpose. If Tj/Case can't beat out Fitzpatrick, imo they don't belong on an NFL roster, damn sure not the Houston Texans.
Old 06-06-2014   #286
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 149849 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
My thoughts exactly. I will add, the bar is low. I think they set the bar low on purpose. If Tj/Case can't beat out Fitzpatrick, imo they don't belong on an NFL roster, damn sure not the Houston Texans.
SO Texans guarantee $4.5 million to a player they think TJ and or Keenum will beat out? Seems like a lot for a QB who has played in a "similar" offense to be a backup.
Old 06-06-2014   #287
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 203861 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Rich Gannon & Brad Johnson both generally sucked and are known essentially for single or few year stretches in the middle of careers of mediocrity.

Fitz is a strange case. He has a lot of starts but I view him more as a backup who has fallen into the starts rather than ever really having been a starting QB and TD/INT is a flaky thing to judge for backups. Having said that, I hope like hell someone beats him out because to me the reasonable expectation for him is a marginal gain over last year's Schaub and nothing approaching pre-injury Schaub.
Quote:
I totally agree.......as long as it truly turns out to be an "open competition.".........and I would say that a tie should go preferentially to Case/TJ
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014   #288
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 203861 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
SO Texans guarantee $4.5 million to a player they think TJ and or Keenum will beat out? Seems like a lot for a QB who has played in a "similar" offense to be a backup.
Remember what they paid Reed to be a "mentor."
Old 06-06-2014   #289
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
First, which offense did Fitzpatrick play in that was similar?

Second... we paid Sage to come in to be the back up for $3M back in 2006. A $1.5M increase in nine seasons isn't crazy. Starters not on their rookie contract get $6 or more. Heck, the Vikings signed Sage to a two year $9M deal after trading a 4th round pick for him to back up Tavaris Jackson.

The Jets signed Vick to a one year $5M deal. What are their expectations of Michael Vick?
Old 06-06-2014   #290
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
What did you think of Jake Plummer?
Plummer had 2 years out of 10 that could be considered decent TD/INT numbers.............and he reverted the following year in both cases.
http://www.nfl.com/player/jakeplummer/2502499/profile
Old 06-06-2014   #291
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Plummer had 2 years out of 10 that could be considered decent TD/INT numbers.............and he reverted the following year in both cases.
http://www.nfl.com/player/jakeplummer/2502499/profile

Don't know how I messed up the link on that.

So, question's still the same. Do you think he qualifies? Sure, he reverted back to who he is, but I'm hoping (if Fitzpatrick does start) that's the kind of improvement we see. Plummer went from a mistake prone gamer in Arizona to a fairly consistent, passable starter under Gary Kubiak.

I'm pretty sure there are very few people out there thinking we've got a Tom Brady/Kurt Warner (who also didn't play well for the Giants) on our roster. Well, there are the Case fans.

I'm hoping we can find a suitable replacement for Matt Schaub. I know the haters out there think it should be fairly easy, I'm not so sure. While we "wasted our time" with Schaub, the Jags & Titans have been playing musical QB & have been chasing us for the division.
Old 06-06-2014   #292
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89757 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

4.5 mil doesn't seem like a lot of money for a vet back up qb.

And I don't know who will win the qb battle but I do believe we will have good qb play next season.
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014   #293
Dash
Rookie

Rep Power: 117 Dash is a quality contributor and well respectedDash is a quality contributor and well respectedDash is a quality contributor and well respectedDash is a quality contributor and well respectedDash is a quality contributor and well respectedDash is a quality contributor and well respectedDash is a quality contributor and well respectedDash is a quality contributor and well respectedDash is a quality contributor and well respectedDash is a quality contributor and well respectedDash is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Also something he noted while on that subject:

Greg Cosell: "I don't know this for a fact but they took Tom Savage in the 4th round. But knowing what I know about Bill O'Brien, it wouldn't surprise me if Tom Savage were first, second or third on his board for this year's QB class. Now again I don't know that but it just wouldn't surprise and I guarantee that he looks at Tom Savage as a starting quality NFL QB down the road".
Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014   #294
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Remember what they paid Reed to be a "mentor."
Plus Private Jet Fuel and red carpet rental...

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014   #295
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Don't know how I messed up the link on that.

So, question's still the same. Do you think he qualifies? Sure, he reverted back to who he is, but I'm hoping (if Fitzpatrick does start) that's the kind of improvement we see. Plummer went from a mistake prone gamer in Arizona to a fairly consistent, passable starter under Gary Kubiak.
He did have 2 of 4 decent years with Kubiak, but as a quad unit it was definitely inconsistent.
Old 06-07-2014   #296
Rockville
Load Up

Quote:
He did have 2 of 4 decent years with Kubiak, but as a quad unit it was definitely inconsistent.
It was actually only 3 seasons with him, as Kubiak was here in 2006. I believe Dennison was the OC in Denver that season, which probably means it was really Shanahan calling plays. Denver drafted Cutler who became the starter at some point in 2006. I always thought it was Kubiak's best coaching of a QB not named Elway. Sorry starting to ramble.
Rockville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014   #297
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Who else that was out there with a higher bar than Fitz, just want to know.
I don't follow FA closely.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014   #298
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
76 has a good question. My opinion is they set the bar low with whatever FA QB they signed. Every one of them are bottom feeder, bouncing around the league, roster spot holders. The Texans didn't have a premier choice available even if they could have afforded him, which I don't think they could.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.

Last edited by drs23; 06-07-2014 at 03:43 PM. Reason: punctuation and a few more words ;^)
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014   #299
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 288146 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nobody who was available. McCown signed for more money on 3/12, Cassel with Vikings on 3/7 for more money; FitzMagic was released 3/14. Overall poor FA QB class.

Vick, Whitehurst, Campbell, Clemons, Anderson, Jackson, Freeman, Flynn...
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014   #300
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Nobody who was available. McCown signed for more money on 3/12, Cassel with Vikings on 3/7 for more money; FitzMagic was released 3/14. Overall poor FA QB class.

Vick, Whitehurst, Campbell, Clemons, Anderson, Jackson, Freeman, Flynn...
There was nothing stopping us from signing Cassel. The date we signed Fitz has nothing to do with nothing

The date we got rid of Schaub probably has more relevance.

I'd have liked Cassel due to his familiarity with "the system" not that he is necessarily better than Fitz, but I would think he would be harder to beat out of the starting job.

Vick has also won a bunch of games, including in the playoffs (long time ago) but he would also be a harder out than Fitzpatrick.

& I'm hard headed... surely a QB guru can make something decent out of Josh Freeman. I thought Kubiak would have been all over him.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read