Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-17-2014   #1361
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87732 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans hire Bill O'Brien as HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
I keep getting flak at other forums about the failures of the Belechik coaching tree not having success. I don't remember any of those coaches making comments like that. I Also like how they casually overlook O brien already having success at Penn ST before arriving here.
Actually, the typical response to that is to point out that Weis was 19-6 after two years at Notre Dame.

I absolutely hope and believe that O'Brien can be the first to start to change it, but there's no denying that everything about Belichick's coaching tree sucks right now.
Old 05-17-2014   #1362
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
I keep getting flak at other forums...
Other forums...?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014   #1363
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 116054 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Actually, the typical response to that is to point out that Weis was 19-6 after two years at Notre Dame.

I absolutely hope and believe that O'Brien can be the first to start to change it, but there's no denying that everything about Belichick's coaching tree sucks right now.
Notre Dame and Penn St after the scandal are two different ends of the spectrum
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014   #1364
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

OB VIDEO Day 2

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...9-c402470eabed
Quote:
"Every day there's probably three meetings per day," head coach Bill O'Brien said. "And then, in between the meetings, there's either a walk-through or a practice. So they have to apply the new things that they've learned to the next stage."

"We test them on many things," O'Brien said. "We test them obviously on X's and O's according to their position and their unit. We test them on their knowledge of their teammates. We test them on knowledge of the organization. We test them all the time."

"I think it's important in a three-day camp like this to continually work their mind," O'Brien said. "Not just stand in front of them and talk to them and show them film. Let them talk a little bit. 'What do you know? What have you studied?'"

(on if he sees a little bit of himself in quarterbacks coach George Godsey because he coached him at Georgia Tech) “No. Everybody’s different. I appreciate you saying that. I had a great experience coaching him. He’ll go down in Georgia Tech history as one of the best quarterbacks to ever play there. He’s in the hall of fame there and it was fun to coach him because he was a really smart guy and then when he got into coaching, we obviously kept in touch and formed even more of a friendship. Then we were able to get him up to New England.

I told Bill (Belichick) about him and Bill interviewed him and they had a good talk and we hired him there. He was there in 2011 and then I went to Penn State and he stayed there and coached the tight ends and learned a lot about what they did there in New England while I wasn’t there. He’s his own coach. He does things his own way. He’s got his own style. He believes in the philosophy of what we have here. We’re trying to have a smart team. We’re trying to have a fundamentally-sound team. He’s doing a good job out there.”

(on George Godsey knowing what he wants out of him) “I think it’s important as a leader, as a head football coach, that everybody knows what you want. But I’m a firm believer in you hire these guys to coach, to let them coach. Like I said before, we have a strong staff of coaches. He’s one of them. We let these guys go out there and coach. They each have their own style, their own way of communicating. So far, it looks like it’s going pretty well.”

(on if you can tell how quickly a rookie will catch on to the system) “Definitely. I think you can watch how a guy listens in the meeting and then how he applies it on the field and how he gets better from drill to drill and from 7-on-7 to the next 7-on-7 or from a team period to another team period. I think you can really tell how guys are learning and maybe some of that we have to go back as coaches and figure out a different way to teach a guy. Maybe he is more of a visual learner. Maybe he’s more of learning off of film or maybe he’s a guy who needs to go out there and walk through it a little bit more. We are figuring these guys out as we go along with this group.”

(on the synergy of the coaching staff) “We have a strong staff, we have a staff that is experienced, we have a staff of good communicators, we have a staff of guys that work really well with each other. Again, I think we have a staff of really good teachers. Guys that have taught a lot of systems in their careers, we have a staff of experience – whether they have a ton of experience as a coach or maybe the combination of playing and coaching. We took our time putting this staff together and it looks to me like a strong coaching staff.”

(on Louis Nix III not being at practice/important to him that a player is able to attend his graduation) “I thought it was important that we let him go back to Notre Dame and walk with his graduating class, so that’s what we did. He was in the morning meetings, then he left. He had a 2 o’clock flight back to South Bend and then he’ll be back later on tomorrow night or Monday morning at some time.”

“Yeah. I think if a guy has a chance to walk with his graduating class, I believe it’s important to let the guy go do that. I think he’s paid his dues at Notre Dame. I just think it’s important to allow guys to do that. He’s not going to miss much time. Any time missed is not good for him here but that’s something he’ll have to figure out to make that time up and I’m sure with Bill Kollar, he’ll figure it out.”

Last edited by Playoffs; 05-17-2014 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-19-2014   #1365
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Haven't seen this posted, if so, sorry.

It's an interview with Bill O'Brien on Mike & Mike. I enjoyed it, hope you do as well.

Here it is.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014   #1366
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

NFL_on_ESPN @ESPNNFL
Quote:
"For a team to accomplish their goal, everybody’s got to give up a little bit of their individuality." - Bill Belichick
Old 05-29-2014   #1367
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

O’Brien takes a hands-on approach to practice
Quote:
One of the most striking differences between a Gary Kubiak practice and a Bill O’Brien practice is the manner in which they run them.
O’Brien, at least in his first few weeks on the practice field, has been much more hands-on … as in he wants his hands on everything and every position.
O’Brien, who took over as the third head coach in Texans history this offseason, walks around practice and gets involved with each position drill. He even gets hands-on during the special teams portion of practice.

“He’s everywhere,” said second-year player DeAndre Hopkins. “He’s on the rookies, he’s on the veterans. You really don’t get away with too much with him on the field.”
Old 05-29-2014   #1368
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88550 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And it’s not just O’Brien who is more hands-on. His position coaches have taken that same approach too. One veteran player said his position coach this season has been doing much more teaching on the field than his position coach from the previous regime.

“I love the teaching part of it,” O’Brien said. “I view coaching as being a teacher. That’s a large aspect of what my job is.”
WTF?

That's funny and sad...That's not something I'd expect on the NFL level..

I bet it was the O-line coach....
xtruroyaltyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #1369
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
WTF?

I'd bet on Vrabel or the DB coach
Old 05-29-2014   #1370
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88550 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Probably...

I wasn't a big fan of Benton though...

To me it seems like the o-line made more and more technique errors the longer he was here. Seems like the O-line just got worse every year since he was handed the job.
xtruroyaltyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #1371
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 116054 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
WTF?

Now combine that comment with the first part of the posted article:

Quote:
One of the most striking differences between a Gary Kubiak practice and a Bill O’Brien practice is the manner in which they run them.

Kubiak had a more laid-back approach. He watched his coaches coach. He watched his players play.
So who exactly was coaching at all? Guess it really was Coach Reed
Old 05-29-2014   #1372
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting revelations coming out regarding the styles of this HC when compared to the last one.

No more individual glory. More accountability. No starting positions handed to players due to tenure. A hands on head coach involved with each position. No more slacking on Segways and golf carts. Work and dedication as foundation for the team concept.

I'm liking what I'm hearing about the initial style of O'Brien and company. There seems to be quite a bit of an old school streak in him.
Old 05-29-2014   #1373
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Interesting revelations coming out regarding the styles of this HC when compared to the last one.

No more individual glory. More accountability. No starting positions handed to players due to tenure. A hands on head coach involved with each position. No more slacking on Segways and golf carts. Work and dedication as foundation for the team concept.

I'm liking what I'm hearing about the initial style of O'Brien and company. There seems to be quite a bit of an old school streak in him.
Wouldn't it be great if he turns out to be the Texan's Tom Landry. Don Shula or Chuck Knox?

Watching an interview of JJ last night, he didn't seem overly happy and used "hard work, good teammate, learning the playbook" eleventythreehundred times and sounded aggravated a few times he said them ( like he'd been instructed to say them) and almost sarcastic a couple of times.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #1374
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 18057 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Probably the ST coach...well now coaches.
AngryNateFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #1375
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Wouldn't it be great if he turns out to be the Texan's Tom Landry. Don Shula or Chuck Knox?
Man, in my wildest dreams!!!

Quote:
Watching an interview of JJ last night, he didn't seem overly happy and used "hard work, good teammate, learning the playbook" eleventythreehundred times and sounded aggravated a few times he said them ( like he'd been instructed to say them) and almost sarcastic a couple of times.
Hopefully it's just a result of being worn out and not some deeper concerns on his part. I'm sure learning a whole new playbook and having to deal with new coaches wears a dude out, so maybe JJ just didn't feel like dealing with media at that point in time.
Old 05-29-2014   #1376
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Quote:

I noticed it too but its more than likely nothing. Got a lot on his plate.

Winning and the inevitable multi-million dollar contract he will be getting will cure all that
Old 05-29-2014   #1377
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

This kind of thinking can be contagious. I am very hopeful for his future here.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #1378
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Man, in my wildest dreams!!!

Hopefully it's just a result of being worn out and not some deeper concerns on his part. I'm sure learning a whole new playbook and having to deal with new coaches wears a dude out, so maybe JJ just didn't feel like dealing with media at that point in time.
Eh, I was there. He was super polite. Didn't seem down or unhappy about things.
Pretty much a normal JJ interview except this year he won't be saying any of his personal goal stuff.

And none of the players want to "give away trade secrets."

None of the players want to put the spotlight on individual stuff. It was obvious that these are marching orders. You know, the work hard, be a good teammate stuff. That's how all the players pretty much are...like pulling teeth to get any info.

So don't read too much into stuff.
Old 05-30-2014   #1379
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Eh, I was there. He was super polite. Didn't seem down or unhappy about things.
Pretty much a normal JJ interview except this year he won't be saying any of his personal goal stuff.

And none of the players want to "give away trade secrets."

None of the players want to put the spotlight on individual stuff. It was obvious that these are marching orders. You know, the work hard, be a good teammate stuff. That's how all the players pretty much are...like pulling teeth to get any info.

So don't read too much into stuff.
Awesome. I never read much into these types of generic quotes from players, but your clarification based on personal experience is certainly appreciated. Very cool to have one of our own on the inside.
Old 05-30-2014   #1380
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Haven't seen this posted, if so, sorry.

It's an interview with Bill O'Brien on Mike & Mike. I enjoyed it, hope you do as well.

Here it is.
Thank you for posting that. My favorite part is where OB is asked if Clowney / Crennel is a dream matchup. O'Brien responds that any young player would benefit from a good coaching staff. Completely dismisses any idea that any unproven player has any special value. His responses are always based on zero-hype principals. Logic.

Neat guy.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read