Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: What grad would you give our draft?
A 102 64.56%
B 45 28.48%
C 8 5.06%
D 1 0.63%
F 2 1.27%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-14-2014   #121
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What grade would you give this draft?

Not a grade but Walterfootball has given out the draft awards and we`ve won best second day pick (Nix), best trade (Nix) and best draft class. Here is what they had to say:

" Best Draft Class: Houston Texans
Teams picking early have an advantage, but Houston was able to come away with a draft class that is going to pay off immediately and should vault the franchise to new heights in years to come. The Texans did the smart thing and took the draft's best player in Jadeveon Clowney. He could end up being an NFL legend.

In the second round, Houston landed the best guard in the 2014 NFL Draft, Xavier Su'a-Filo. He should make an immediate impact in reestablishing the Texans' ground game. Along the same lines, Houston landed the best Y tight end in the 2014 NFL Draft in C.J. Fiedorowicz. He's best as a blocker, but has surprising quickness and athleticism. Fiedorowicz will play as a rookie as well.

Louis Nix, as documented above, was one of the best moves in the 2014 NFL Draft. He'll be the starting nose tackle and should really help keep blockers away from J.J. Watt, Jadeveon Clowney and Brian Cushing.

At the end of the fourth round, Houston was able to land the quarterback it were considering on Day 2, Tom Savage. The big-armed pocket-passer is a perfect developmental signal-caller for Bill O'Brien to work with. Savage has the skill set to be a starter in the NFL.

The Texans continued to add some contributors in the late rounds of the 2014 NFL Draft. Defensive end Jeoffrey Pagan will be in position to compete for playing time as a five-technique defensive end as a rookie. Later in the sixth round, Houston landed a starting fullback in Jay Prosch. The devastating blocker was huge for Auburn in 2013. Arian Foster will love having Prosch in front of him.

The Texans also landed a rotational back and special teams star in Alfred Blue. Seventh-round cornerback Andre Hal was a steal and could compete at nickel for Houston. Even Mr. Irrelevant, Memphis safety Lonnie Ballentine, could make the roster. He has a real combination of size and speed. Ballentine could have gone much earlier.

At the end of the day, Houston at least five starters. If Savage turns into a steal and Clowney becomes what he's capable of, this could be a draft class of the ages. "
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014   #122
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

30+ year NFL scout Greg Gabriel's take: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...AFC-South.html
Quote:
The Texans led off the draft with defensive end/outside linebacker Jadeveon Clowney. There is no denying Clowney’s talent. He has the ability to be the best defensive player to come into the league in years. He did not play like that type of player in 2013 and that has to be concerning. Being paired with a veteran like J.J. Watt should help Clowney with his game preparation. If he plays up to his talent level, he has Pro Bowl written all over him.

Second round pick Xavier Su’a-Filo has the versatility to play guard or tackle. He is better suited to play guard, and that’s where the Texans will start him out. I expect him to be a starter come opening day.

The Texans had two third round picks and, in my opinion, got tremendous value with both selections. C.J. Fiedorowicz is a huge tight end who can play both as a “Y” or flexed out. He has excellent hands, is a very good route runner, and one of the better blocking tight ends in this draft. Notre Dame nose tackle Louis Nix was a steal. Many felt he was a late first rounder. Why he fell, I don’t know, but he is a prototypical NFL nose tackle who will start from day one for the Texans.

Pitt’s Tom Savage has the physical traits to be a very good NFL quarterback. He is big, with quick feet, has a very quick release, and spins the ball very well. Having been a double transfer in college he does not have a lot of playing time. Looking at tape, I felt he lacked top instincts and a good feel for the passing game. Still, the talent is there, but he needs some time to develop. If he is given that time, he can become a winning NFL QB.

Jeoffrey Pagan is a rotational five-technique. Jay Prosch was one of the best pure fullbacks in the draft, and Alfred Blue has the talent to be a solid NFL backup running back.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014   #123
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 161936 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Impressive draft now need some impressive coaching and then some impressive play. Game on!
Old 05-19-2014   #124
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I wasn't a big Clowney supporter, but the kid has come in and said/done all the right things. I really can't find any holes in this draft, yet.

I think Blue or Nix will be the the steal of the draft.

Hopefully I feel this good about this draft class in 3 years.
Old 05-19-2014   #125
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Impressive draft now need some impressive coaching and then some impressive play. Game on!
I've been a bit put off by the rah-rah college stuff but, for some reason, I think BO'B is gonna pull this off. I really like the reports I hear of his no nonsense, straight forward way of coaching. He also seems to be able to blend the rah-rah, team first stuff in with being approachable, flexible and willing to fit his "system" to a player that has talent. Or at least he talks a good fight about doing all of that. The proof will be in the W-L pudding.
Old 05-19-2014   #126
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 161936 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

right now I want to see better play and wins will come but I am in minority that sloppy wins are not what I want to see.
Old 05-19-2014   #127
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
right now I want to see better play and wins will come but I am in minority that sloppy wins are not what I want to see.
Why are you in the minority? The Texans lost 7 games by one score or less.
Old 05-20-2014   #128
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sloppy wins are better than well played losses.
Old 05-20-2014   #129
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 272221 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
Sloppy wins are better than well played losses.
Only if you're extremely short sighted.

Strive for perfection to achieve greatness.
Old 05-29-2014   #130
TheFantasyGreek
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TheFantasyGreek TheFantasyGreek TheFantasyGreek TheFantasyGreek TheFantasyGreek TheFantasyGreek TheFantasyGreek TheFantasyGreek TheFantasyGreek TheFantasyGreek TheFantasyGreek
Default 2014 Draft: Did The Texans Take A Step To Building A Winner?

I liked some of the Texans draft picks and didn't like a few others. But after reading this article http://thefantasygreek.com/houston-t...ding-a-winner/ that analyzes the picks, feel much better about what brain trust is doing in Houston. What are your thoughts? Post them here.
TheFantasyGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #131
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 114477 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2014 Draft: Did The Texans Take A Step To Building A Winner?

Everything teams do is taking a step to build a winner.

The key is hoping some of those steps dont crumble and fall making it impossible for you to reach the top
Old 05-29-2014   #132
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Brandy new join date. First post linking to a website, assuming yours?

Is this just a hit generator for your website?

Just axin'...

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #133
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49032 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

delete is a good button ...
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #134
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 143147 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Brandy new join date. First post linking to a website, assuming yours?

Is this just a hit generator for your website?

Just axin'...
For an answer to your question, please check out http://thefantasygreek.com/answers.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #135
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 290661 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
For an answer to your question, please check out http://thefantasygreek.com/answers.html
linky no workie

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #136
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Last edited by Playoffs; 05-29-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-29-2014   #137
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 114477 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

come on guys you are ruining my awesome analogy on the 2nd post of the page
Old 05-29-2014   #138
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

McClain: How will the Texans use their draft choices? (video)

Just like me, Johnny McC has a face for radio.

***warning, McClain on video in link***

Last edited by Playoffs; 05-29-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-29-2014   #139
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 143147 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
linky no workie

Did you try: http://thefantasygreek.com/Not_A_Real_Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #140
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 101015 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
The humor in your post comes across better if I look at your avatar directly after reading it.
michaelm is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read