Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Thumbs up or down on Tom Savage at 4.135
Up 112 83.58%
Down 22 16.42%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2014   #301
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 15034 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Selection 4.135: Tom Savage QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
You just answered why we did not pick Houston then.
Oh , I know that was why. Roll the dice from time to time. Don't only draft good Ol boys. Some guys can change their lives and not be a "pacman Jones".
Old 05-26-2014   #302
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN View Post
Oh , I know that was why. Roll the dice from time to time. Don't only draft good Ol boys. Some guys can change their lives and not be a "pacman Jones".
I agree but that is just how the texans have always been, we dont usually draft or sign people with character concerns/issues.
Old 05-26-2014   #303
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree but that is just how the texans have always been, we dont usually draft or sign people with character concerns/issues.
Or so the fan story goes. Cushing, Travis Johnson, Okoye, Jerome Mathis say otherwise.
Old 05-26-2014   #304
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
They DO have a history of trading up. Which is why I think they WOULDN'T have taken Bridgewater at 33.
I'm certain the Texans were not interested in Teddy or Manziel. Im sure the Seahawks called the Texans saying they were trading down, were we interested and we said nope we're good. If we really wanted Teddy, if we thought that highly of him the smart move would be to trade up regardless. The thought is he's a first round calibre talent that had immediate starting potential. Second fold due to being a 1st rounder we would have had an additional year option on his contract at 32 vs 33. That's worth it if he turns out to be a franchise QB (in this case for he Vikes).

Again I think that the Texans were not very interested in these 2 QBs (OB's words ring accurate that he doesn't see a lot of separation between the "top tiers")... AND I think there was so much talent in this draft that we got some "steals" considering where they were picked. The 50th ranked player in this draft could be considered comparable to a 30th ranked prospect in previous years - potentially.

Love these selections that were made instead of reaching for a QB need that OB or Smith werent overly excited about. Really looking forward to Savage developing
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Old 05-26-2014   #305
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34365 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Technically, the Texans traded down from 2/51 BEFORE moving back up later to 2/58 to take Tate.

Harris has worked out worse than Babin (something I didn't think possible).

Nix was a few weeks ago.

Tell me more about that history of moving up in drafts.
I am not saying we did a good job at trading up. What I was saying is: when we had a guy we wanted, we made sure we get him by trading up. Now QB is clearly the most important position and we did not move up 1 space. That wouldn`t even have been that expensive. I think it is pretty clear, that we didn`t think highly enough of Bridgewater and he probably wouldn`t even have been our pick if he was there at #33.
Old 05-26-2014   #306
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

The moment Fitz signed, they knew they wouldn't have to rush a rookie to start. Either way it's looking Manziel or Bortles will not likely start and Bridgewater might have an outside shot at starting day one in Minn based on the way things are looking.

My guess is much like Pencilneck, I think Bortles was prolly number one QB on this staff's list and had he fallen more like Manziel they would've moved for him. If the were that high on Teddy they would've made a move to secure him. As it stands I am willing to bet even IF available they still pick Xavier top of second.

The good thing here is they don't have to start Savage day one and based on how the roster rounds out... I still think later in season they could be pushing for a playoff spot.
Old 05-26-2014   #307
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Or so the fan story goes. Cushing, Travis Johnson, Okoye, Jerome Mathis say otherwise.
But these guys didnt have character issues before we drafted them did they ? I thought they all appeared after they were in the NFL.
Old 05-26-2014   #308
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But these guys didnt have character issues before we drafted them did they ? I thought they all appeared after they were in the NFL.
There were rumors of Cushing using steroids since HS. TJ has several altercations in college as did Mathis with one or both even being arrested. Okoye was reported to have failed a drug test at the combine.
Old 05-26-2014   #309
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
There were rumors of Cushing using steroids since HS. TJ has several altercations in college as did Mathis with one or both even being arrested. Okoye was reported to have failed a drug test at the combine.
hmmm guess i missed all those, of course that is what 4 out of how many draftees....70-80 ?
Old 05-26-2014   #310
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
hmmm guess i missed all those, of course that is what 4 out of how many draftees....70-80 ?
Yeah, but 3 of them are 1st round draft picks. That's 3 out of 12. I'm not saying they are riverboat gamblers but I think the fan meme is a little off base.
Old 05-26-2014   #311
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I believe guys like Peyton, Luck, Elway, Aikman are all guys that would be successful NFL starters regardless of what system, coach, etc...
I love Troy Aikman & don't mean to berate his legacy in any way.

But...

He had Mark Tuinei, Nate Newton, & Emmit Smith (not to mention or take anything away from Stepnowski, Gogan, & Williams). They'll make any QBs job a whole lot easier. Emmit may not have been as flashy as Barry Sanders, but he's the best closer the NFL has ever seen.
Old 05-26-2014   #312
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
You mean like Nix? Or Harris? Or Tate?
Babin.

I think more people would be upset if Bridgewater was there at 33 because I don't think the Texans were going to take him.
Old 05-26-2014   #313
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

But...

He had Mark Tuinei, Nate Newton, & Emmit Smith (not to mention or take anything away from Stepnowski, Gogan, & Williams). They'll make any QBs job a whole lot easier. Emmit may not have been as flashy as Barry Sanders, but he's the best closer the NFL has ever seen.
Aikman and Terry Bradshaw are alike in they were on loaded teams . Judge them as you may but they had an advantage .

Round Dan
Old 05-26-2014   #314
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 135670 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the texans would've taken him. I just don't think they were going to trade up for him.
Old 05-26-2014   #315
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
There's a lot more to QB'ing than arm strength (see Jeff George/Jamarcus Russell), and Savage has a lot to learn & some unlearning to do. He was a 4th/5th round pick for a reason.
& there was a reason Brady was a 6th, Romo & Arian went undrafted.

IMO, the only reason Savage was a 4th round pick was because he did that little college shuffle that had him sitting for two years. Schiano even as much as admitted that he probably should have stuck with Savage at Rutgers & this whole thing would have been avoided (maybe).

The kid looks good, for only having two years of starting under his belt. Kinda like that Bortles kid, or that Manziel kid both who went in the first round, neither, imo, look as ready to start as Savage.

Last edited by thunderkyss; 05-27-2014 at 12:41 AM.
Old 05-26-2014   #316
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I'm certain the Texans were not interested in Teddy or Manziel. Im sure the Seahawks called the Texans saying they were trading down, were we interested and we said nope we're good. If we really wanted Teddy, if we thought that highly of him the smart move would be to trade up regardless. The thought is he's a first round calibre talent that had immediate starting potential. Second fold due to being a 1st rounder we would have had an additional year option on his contract at 32 vs 33. That's worth it if he turns out to be a franchise QB (in this case for he Vikes).

Again I think that the Texans were not very interested in these 2 QBs (OB's words ring accurate that he doesn't see a lot of separation between the "top tiers")... AND I think there was so much talent in this draft that we got some "steals" considering where they were picked. The 50th ranked player in this draft could be considered comparable to a 30th ranked prospect in previous years - potentially.

Love these selections that were made instead of reaching for a QB need that OB or Smith werent overly excited about. Really looking forward to Savage developing
If the Texans were interested in a QB at 1,1. he would've been drafted there. The name doesn't matter. GTFOI. Damn.
Post not directed at you.
Old 05-27-2014   #317
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
& there was a reason Brady was a 6th, Romo & Arian went undrafted.

IMO, the only reason Savage was a 6th round pick was because he did that little college shuffle that had him sitting for two years. Schiano even as much as admitted that he probably should have stuck with Savage at Rutgers & this whole thing would have been avoided (maybe).

The kid looks good, for only having two years of starting under his belt. Kinda like that Bortles kid, or that Manziel kid both who went in the first round, neither, imo, look as ready to start as Savage.
You mean, 4th.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
Old 05-27-2014   #318
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

But...

My point was that Aikman was NFL ready as a prospect. He could've come into almost any NFL situation and been successful. Of course the quality of the team around him mattered. I'm not arguing that Aikman was a greater pro QB than Bret Favre. My point is that Aikman was going to be a deadly accurate NFL QB with quite leadership and toughness in the pocket no matter who drafted him. Favre, on the other hand, would not have become the player he did if he was not traded from Atlanta to Green Bay, where he learned and developed under one of the greatest offensive coaching staffs ever assembled.
Old 05-27-2014   #319
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My point was that Aikman was NFL ready as a prospect. He could've come into almost any NFL situation and been successful. Of course the quality of the team around him mattered. I'm not arguing that Aikman was a greater pro QB than Bret Favre. My point is that Aikman was going to be a deadly accurate NFL QB with quite leadership and toughness in the pocket no matter who drafted him. Favre, on the other hand, would not have become the player he did if he was not traded from Atlanta to Green Bay, where he learned and developed under one of the greatest offensive coaching staffs ever assembled.
Yet Aikman's rookie yr as a starter the Cowboys went 0-11.

Parallel to Keenum?
Old 05-27-2014   #320
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
We assume he was the most NFL ready QB and we assume he would of been successful anywhere. We do not know that for sure, we have all seen MANY QBs who were NFL ready flop. Given Aikmans situation they to may have been very good, never know.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read