Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Thumbs up or down on Tom Savage at 4.135
Up 112 83.58%
Down 22 16.42%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2014   #261
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 263816 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Selection 4.135: Tom Savage QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
I don't buy it for a minute. Bridgewater falls to 33 and he's a Texan. Also, if he's your #2, why wait till the tail end of round 4 to lock him up?
#2 on the QB board doesn't mean you've got a 2nd round grade on him. Or even a 3rd round grade on him.

Going into the second day of the draft, we had our pick of QBs and everyone expected us to go Carr or Garoppolo at 2-1. We didn't.

We easily could have traded up into the mid-20's and if we thought Bridgewater was any good, we would have. We wouldn't have waited.

I'm not saying that OB and Rick were right. I'm just saying that's what it looks like to me.

I think OB and Rick thought that they were the only ones who were interested in Savage, so they played chicken with him, delaying picking him up as long as they could. Rick has done this before with Duane Brown and with Ben Tate.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
Old 05-22-2014   #262
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 94543 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
That's pretty much what I've been expecting. I've said it before that I think Savage was the #2 guy on their QB board and the guy they were targeting pretty much the entire way.
The way this whole thing ended up, it makes me think that the Texans had 3-4 QB's lumped together. Once Bortles/Bridgewater/Manziel was off the board, they drafted BPA and they ended up liking Savage more. That's my take on it, anyway.
Old 05-22-2014   #263
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 293187 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Has it ever been confirmed that the Texans would have picked Bridgewater at 33?
No.

If they wanted TB they would have one-upped the Vikings deal. Swap picks & 4-1, easy-peasy.
Old 05-22-2014   #264
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 245830 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Has it ever been confirmed that the Texans would have picked Bridgewater at 33?

I know it's assumed, especially by the Vikings front office, but I was just wondering if the Texans ever said anything official.

Looking back at the very few words from O'Brien before the draft, you could surmise that they never intended to take a QB very high but always planned on getting one of them in later rounds.
Bridgewater's "best" trait, was his football intellect. Because he ran a "pro system" I don't think the Texans valued that as much as many fans did. Just because Bridgewater has a high football intellect does not mean that Bortles does not, or that Garoppolo does not. I was really impressed with Derek Carr's football IQ on Gruden's QB camp. Surprisd the heck out of me.

I would not be surprised if Carr was the Texans #1. He not only ran the offense, but called something like 40% of the plays (not counting audibles) & he's got a gun.

With Carr, Garrapolo, & Savage on the board, I wouldn't have taken a QB in the 2nd.

They didn't take one in the third after Carr & Garrapolo came off, so I assume they were also looking at Mettenberger, Fales, & Wenning
Old 05-25-2014   #265
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 293187 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

John McClain @Mclain_on_NFL
Quote:
They weren't lying when they said Tom Savage has a cannon. He arrives at 5:30 and leaves at 9. He's been a sponge. Very impressive.
Old 05-25-2014   #266
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 24103 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
John McClain @Mclain_on_NFL
Quote:
They weren't lying when they said Tom Savage has a cannon. He arrives at 5:30 and leaves at 9. He's been a sponge. Very impressive.
3 and a half hours of spongy savageness

Old 05-25-2014   #267
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 128458 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
3 and a half hours of spongy savageness

9 am is when Johnny Frikin Football leaves.
Old 05-25-2014   #268
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 102277 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
9 am is when Johnny Frikin Football leaves.
His house i suppose......
Old 05-25-2014   #269
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

You guys don't know how difficult that tweet was for for Johnny McClain.

Number of Savage tweets/retweets by McClain since March 1st(before draft): 3 (all retweets)

Number of Manziel tweets/retweets by McClain since March 1st(before draft): 250+

And that ignores January & February.
Old 05-25-2014   #270
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 120726 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
No.

If they wanted TB they would have one-upped the Vikings deal. Swap picks & 4-1, easy-peasy.
Just because it was possible (hell, damn easy), yet not done doesn't mean they wouldn't have nabbed him at 33. Occam's razor with this front office indicates lack of movement as a default.

I get the whole Savage had a later round grade argument, I just fail to see how he's your number two choice then. Number two for OB's "system"?

I hope they shock me and he turns out great. Odds are he doesn't and they fall back on "oh well, he was a fourth round gamble". Seems I've heard that tune before.
Old 05-25-2014   #271
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80254 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Just because it was possible (hell, damn easy), yet not done doesn't mean they wouldn't have nabbed him at 33. Occam's razor with this front office indicates lack of movement as a default.

I get the whole Savage had a later round grade argument, I just fail to see how he's your number two choice then. Number two for OB's "system"?

I hope they shock me and he turns out great. Odds are he doesn't and they fall back on "oh well, he was a fourth round gamble". Seems I've heard that tune before.
I don't know what you're really getting at. Is it you're contention that they would have drafted him higher if they considered him a number two, or that they didn't consider Bridgewater a number two?

What is the bottom line point you're trying to make?
Old 05-25-2014   #272
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 335478 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Saying Savage was their #2 QB is incredibly vague. It could mean:

1) 2nd best QB of the entire draft.
2) 2nd best QB for OB's system.
3) 2nd QB who was available at a spot they thought was appropriate value for his talent.
4) 2nd QB they were willing to draft at all.
etc.
Old 05-25-2014   #273
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 102277 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

You know what would help Savage the most starting out in the NFL, a future HOF wide receiver. Well what do you know we have that, along with upgrading the o-line and Fosters return. I think this offense will score a lot of points. Although i do think we need another speed WR. We seem kind of old and slow in that department.
Old 05-25-2014   #274
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 263816 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Saying Savage was their #2 QB is incredibly vague. It could mean:

1) 2nd best QB of the entire draft.
2) 2nd best QB for OB's system.
3) 2nd QB who was available at a spot they thought was appropriate value for his talent.
4) 2nd QB they were willing to draft at all.
etc.
When I said that I think that Savage was the #2 QB on their board, I mean that I think that OB identified specific guys that he wanted to work with and develop... and there weren't a lot of them.

I think Bortles was at the top of the list and then I think Savage was #2. I think the list did include ALL the QBs in this draft but I think the order and draft grade on them were very, very different than the way the ESPN/NFLN guys were looking at things.

I think OB was looking at some very specific things, things that were different than what he's said in some places. I think he was looking for big guys with cannon arms who were pretty smart and dedicated to football.

I think that dropped guys like Bridgewater, Manziel, McCarron on OB's list and consequently on Smith's draft board.

I think Smith looked at the list and realized that he could get Savage in the 4th and set up his draft based on that. I also kinda think that they played up interest in guys like Bridgewater and Garropolo as a smoke screen to get people to draft them and push other guys down.

This is simply what I believe based on interpreting a whole bunch of things and I realize it may not have any correspondence to reality at all. But I haven't seen anything to refute it so it's my working hypothesis going forward.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
Old 05-25-2014   #275
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
When I said that I think that Savage was the #2 QB on their board, I mean that I think that OB identified specific guys that he wanted to work with and develop... and there weren't a lot of them.

I think Bortles was at the top of the list and then I think Savage was #2. I think the list did include ALL the QBs in this draft but I think the order and draft grade on them were very, very different than the way the ESPN/NFLN guys were looking at things.

I think OB was looking at some very specific things, things that were different than what he's said in some places. I think he was looking for big guys with cannon arms who were pretty smart and dedicated to football.

I think that dropped guys like Bridgewater, Manziel, McCarron on OB's list and consequently on Smith's draft board.

I think Smith looked at the list and realized that he could get Savage in the 4th and set up his draft based on that. I also kinda think that they played up interest in guys like Bridgewater and Garropolo as a smoke screen to get people to draft them and push other guys down.

This is simply what I believe based on interpreting a whole bunch of things and I realize it may not have any correspondence to reality at all. But I haven't seen anything to refute it so it's my working hypothesis going forward.
I think something similar. In the past I think they would have taken a more superficial approach. This is smart football...if that's what they were expecting (even if the qb doesn't work out). Nobody really knows outside those doors. Early in the draft as it was going down I was told that they liked Matthews late but that was obvious bs now, so stuff like this (propaganda) is just par for the course. In any case I feel good about this season going fwd. I haven't been this positive about the teams direction for a few years. It's nice.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Old 05-25-2014   #276
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 18057 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Johnny Money?

Old 05-25-2014   #277
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 18057 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

QB's sack numbers in 2013

Aaron Murray - 13 times
AJ McCarron - 17 times
Blake Bortles - 21 times
Tom Savage - 43 times
Derek Carr - 11 times
Johnny Manziel - 19 times
Teddy Bridgewater - 23 times
Jimmy Garoppolo - 19 times
Zach Mettenberger - 21 times
David Fales - 19 times

43 times. Absurd.

Savage stood in the pocket and took that shot every single time. Never going to see him dive into the fetal position. Really hope our improved offensive line can protect him.
Old 05-25-2014   #278
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95802 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Some of the stuff I watched on savage, he didn't look very good stepping up into the pocket IMO. Didn't slide very we within the pocket.

I don't know what to attribute all those sacks to, just giving my observation.

I'd like to see him operate a little more smoothly within the pocket.
Old 05-25-2014   #279
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153344 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryNateFTW View Post
QB's sack numbers in 2013

Aaron Murray - 13 times
AJ McCarron - 17 times
Blake Bortles - 21 times
Tom Savage - 43 times
Derek Carr - 11 times
Johnny Manziel - 19 times
Teddy Bridgewater - 23 times
Jimmy Garoppolo - 19 times
Zach Mettenberger - 21 times
David Fales - 19 times

43 times. Absurd.

Savage stood in the pocket and took that shot every single time. Never going to see him dive into the fetal position. Really hope our improved offensive line can protect him.
I agree..signed David Carr
Old 05-26-2014   #280
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Listening to John Harris on HT.com sounds like he thinks Savage is projected to start ASAP.

ASAP being dependent on how well he learns the playbook.
Strong-armed, developmental, rookie QBs have been successfully in similar situations. With a good defense, a power running game, playmakers at WR, quality pass catchers at TE, and intelligent offensive game plans, Savage could be the starting QB of a playoff team. If he is coachable, BoB can utilize his strengths without overwhelming him. If BoB can successfully install a screen game, this can be a good offense, even with inexperience at QB.

I am looking forward to seeing what happens!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read