Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 05-23-2014   #1321
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179094 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Blake Bortles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Houston Texans nearly drafted Blake Bortles?

according to Tony Pauline.

The Texans held the first pick in the draft and there's was much intrigue right up until the final minutes. Houston seriously considered Blake Bortles with the initial selection and I'm told they had two cards filled out at their table. One had Bortles name on it while the other listed the team's eventual selection, Jadeveon Clowney. In the end Clowney was the smart pick and was made in large part based on fear; the team was afraid of passing up such a potentially dominant defender.

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/5/...nfl-draft-2014
If I was fishing for a trade , which they were , I would have two cards because they know who is on one card . A team that was focused on one player would be afraid his guy was on the other card .

Bortles right now is just a guy until proven otherwise . He was picked that high because the Jags wanted a local guy more than the headache of JF . JF had a better arm , bigger hands , and higher Wunderlich . JF also played in the SEC .

Savage has about the same size , much better arm , and bigger hands . Savage was a freshman All American and then got hurt his sophomore year and lost his job . He pouted and left to Arizona and when Arizona hired Rich Rodriguez , whose last QB was Denard Robinson , he left because he didn't fit the system . Savage admits to being a brat and having to grow up . He's like a Mormon kid who went on a two year mission . He's grown up at 24 .
Old 05-23-2014   #1322
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Plus Bortles uses steroids, has HIV, and framed a guy!

Quote:
The filing not only accuses Bortles of taking steroids and HGH, but also alleges he's been involved in some other nefarious dealings including an allegation that Bortles framed Rothrock for a crime so he would be jailed and unable to talk to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, who approached Rothrock about the distribution of steroids and HGH.
http://www.sbnation.com/2014/5/16/57...water-steroids

--------------

On an actual, serious note. I don't think Bortles is going to be anything special. I'll eat my crow if he ends up being really good. But I see him as a middle of the road QB at best.

Reminded me of why you don't prod the bear.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014   #1323
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179094 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post
Plus Bortles uses steroids, has HIV, and framed a guy!

http://www.sbnation.com/2014/5/16/57...water-steroids

--------------

On an actual, serious note. I don't think Bortles is going to be anything special. I'll eat my crow if he ends up being really good. But I see him as a middle of the road QB at best.
This is all about a guy trying to enhance his opinion .
Old 05-23-2014   #1324
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
This is all about a guy trying to enhance his opinion .
Some of us can see it and understand it and some us of don't. A lot of people think inside the box and a few us think outside the box. A few can see the BIG picture the rest can't. For every hundred sheep there is one Border Collie.
Old 05-23-2014   #1325
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Some of us can see it and understand it and some us of don't. A lot of people think inside the box and a few us think outside the box. A few can see the BIG picture the rest can't. For every hundred sheep there is one Border Collie.
It all comes out in the wash so we'll see if you're a border collie or Daffy Duck .
Old 05-23-2014   #1326
markn
All Pro

Rep Power: 26739 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Some of us can see it and understand it and some us of don't. A lot of people think inside the box and a few us think outside the box. A few can see the BIG picture the rest can't. For every hundred sheep there is one Bortles Collie.
Fify
markn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014   #1327
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn View Post
Fify
clever!
Old 05-23-2014   #1328
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
clever!
I repped him for that one .
Old 05-23-2014   #1329
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
So did I....
Old 05-23-2014   #1330
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post

What is a "middle of the road QB" ?

Is this a four tier system?
  1. Elite
  2. Good
  3. Middle of the Road
  4. Bad
Old 05-23-2014   #1331
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

1. Elite
  2. Good
  3. Middle of the Road
  4. Bad
If I had to quantify it I think he'll fall into a range around 13-18 best qb in the league.

But I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again.

Reminded me of why you don't prod the bear.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014   #1332
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

1. Elite
  2. Good
  3. Middle of the Road
  4. Bad
Middle... median... mean... average.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 05-24-2014 at 12:01 AM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014   #1333
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Middle... median... mean... average.
So if we're talking about a three tier scale
  1. Elite
  2. Middle of the road
  3. Bad

We're talking Matt Ryan, Matthew Stafford, type of production.

If we're talking about that 4 tier, we're looking at

Sam Bradford, Joe Flacco (outside the play offs), Carson Palmer, Ryan Tannehill.
Old 05-24-2014   #1334
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So if we're talking about a three tier scale
  1. Elite
  2. Middle of the road
  3. Bad

We're talking Matt Ryan, Matthew Stafford, type of production.

If we're talking about that 4 tier, we're looking at

Sam Bradford, Joe Flacco (outside the play offs), Carson Palmer, Ryan Tannehill.
Holy over complicating Batman:

Elite: QBs 1-10
Middle of the road: QBs 11-21
Bad: QBs 22-32
Old 05-24-2014   #1335
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

yeah, holy crap Robin, two years ago the discussion was ranking Schaub among top ten QB's, borderline elite. now?

four not 1st rd QB picks, now considered elite, Russell Wilson Colin Kaepernick, Tom Brady & Nick Foles. besides being selected later they've done pretty good work but what they also have in common are genius football coaches/organizations. lets hope Bill O'Brian brings that level of play & Savage exceeds expectations of those selected before him.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014   #1336
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Holy over complicating Batman:

Elite: QBs 1-10
Middle of the road: QBs 11-21
Bad: QBs 22-32
I'm just asking...

So we're talking about Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick, & Andrew Luck middle of the road.

I don't think anyone would complain if he plays as well as that group. #3 overall wouldn't look so bad either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
yeah, holy crap Robin, two years ago the discussion was ranking Schaub among top ten QB's, borderline elite. now?

four not 1st rd QB picks, now considered elite, Russell Wilson Colin Kaepernick, Tom Brady & Nick Foles. besides being selected later they've done pretty good work but what they also have in common are genius football coaches/organizations. lets hope Bill O'Brian brings that level of play & Savage exceeds expectations of those selected before him.
Damn...... now we've got to go back to defining middle of the road, which was my point to begin with.
Old 05-24-2014   #1337
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm just asking...

So we're talking about Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick, & Andrew Luck middle of the road.
If you rank them 11+ then yes. You have 10 guys ahead of them on current play?

You keep wanting to inject names which just confuses the matter because you may have 10 guys in front of those but someone else may only have 5. But anyway, most people are going to think around center of the pack (16.5) is the middle.
Old 05-24-2014   #1338
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Only four elite Qbs in the nfl in the last decade. P. Manning, Brady, Brees and rodgers. After that i wouldnt know how to rank them. But they have been consistently great. No bad years or long term slumps.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014   #1339
markn
All Pro

Rep Power: 26739 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:
So did I....
Thanks both :-)
markn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read