Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-22-2014   #581
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 281155 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: O'Brien & His Coaching Staffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
The thing is, I'd think the plan would be to groom Vrabel for DC.
James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
Quote:
Multiple LBs on the #Texans have raved about the addition of Mike Vrabel.

Respect him so much and love what he brings to meetings and practices.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014   #582
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
I can see Vrabel being a great HC one day. I loved him as a player.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014   #583
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't OTAs start today? Why the radio silence from Kirby??
Do I have the dates wrong?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014   #584
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 281155 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Didn't OTAs start today? Why the radio silence from Kirby??
Do I have the dates wrong?
Quote:
Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro

Organized Team Activities(OTAs): May 27-29, June 2-3, June 5, June 9-10, June 12-13

Mandatory minicamp: June 17-19
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...42#post2322042
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014   #585
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thanks!
For some reason I thought they started this week.
Old 05-23-2014   #586
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37204 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope Mike Vrabel's a great coach.

On a side note:

Anybody else reminded of John Madden's pronunciation of his name "Mike Grabel?"

Madden mispronounced his name all the time on the game telecasts.
Old 05-23-2014   #587
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 8094 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I know it's early and premature.... but I really do love this coaching staff already. Seems like total anti-kubiak/wade
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014   #588
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29231 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post
I know it's early and premature.... but I really do love this coaching staff already. Seems like total anti-kubiak/wade

Agree. A lot of teams tend to take on the personality of the head coach. That's what I'm looking forward to the most: a no-nonsense team that's all about collecting W's.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014   #589
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Agree. A lot of teams tend to take on the personality of the head coach. That's what I'm looking forward to the most: a no-nonsense team that's all about collecting W's.
color me still worried...
disciples of Belichick, over all, have not faired well.
ESPN took a look at their history a while back...

Quote:
How has the Belichick tree done?

ESPN Stats & Information did a study this past week, and the conclusion is this: "They have struggled."

Basically three coaches have gone on to become NFL head coaches after working under Belichick: Crennel, Mangini and Josh McDaniels, whom the Browns are interviewing Saturday.

Crennel had one winning season in five as head coach (four with Cleveland, one with Kansas City). Mangini had also had one winning season in five. McDaniels started 6-0 in Denver but finished 2-8 for an 8-8 mark. He was 3-9 the next season before he was fired.

That is 12 full seasons as head coach for Belichick guys, with one 13-game season. There were two winning seasons, one at .500 and nine losing seasons.

Crennel had a .325 won-lost percentage in his five seasons as coach. He went 26-54 (plus 2-1 as an interim).

Mangini was 33-47. McDaniels finished 11-17.

Combined, they were 72-119, a won-lost percentage of .378.

Charlie Weis, of course, was the third guy in that end-of-Super Bowl hug with Crennel and Belichick in 2005. Crennel went to the Browns and Weis to Notre Dame, where he went 19-6 his first two seasons to garner a lucrative contract extension.

But his final three seasons with the Irish he was 16-21.

In 2012 and 2013 he coached Kansas to 1-11 and 3-9 records. His total won-lost as a head coach: 39-47.

The only member of the Belichick tree to go on and have a winning record was Bill O'Brien, who recently left Penn State for the Houston Texans.

In two years with the Nittany Lions, O'Brien was 15-9.

Add all the records as head coach, including Weis' and O'Brien's in college, and the members of the Belichick tree have gone 126-175 (.419).
Not trying to be a

but this data causes me to temper my enthusiasm. While O'Brien hasn't coached a single game in the NFL, at least he left the college ranks as a winner. So there's that...
Old 05-24-2014   #590
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Exactly, instead of hiring a friend of a friend, they...

wait a minute.
Old 05-24-2014   #591
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
color me still worried...
disciples of Belichick, over all, have not faired well.

but this data causes me to temper my enthusiasm. While O'Brien hasn't coached a single game in the NFL, at least he left the college ranks as a winner. So there's that...
I look at that the same way I look at the, "He's Schaub 2.0" analysis. There may be a dozen reasons why this guy would remind you of that guy. But there is no reason to believe his career is going to turn out like whoever.

Right now, Savage may look like Schaub 2.0, but he also looks like Marino 2.0

Belichick's tree doesn't look so great right now. Crennel, Weis, McDaniels... that's three lessons for OB to learn from.
Old 05-24-2014   #592
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't you just have a hunch with this guy? With how he responds to questions? He's impatient with stupid questions from the media, but you can see that he's quick enough to know that he needn't be an ass. His old boss is an ass to the media.

OB seems to "get it" on a basic, human, intellectual level.

Many of you guys know football coaches in your personal life. I'm sure you've noted that several of them are not all together bright. There seem to be many in that profession. It's not that uncommon.

But then there are those guys who seem to apply things like reason and logic at all times and so their words that come out of their mouths are a direct reflection of the order and process that exists inside of their own consciousness.

So the words that come out of OB's mouth would seem to represent that he possesses this same capacity. That gives me reason to believe that he might be pretty good at this.

I'm excited to see how it works out.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014   #593
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

I don`t care about the Belichick tree. Just because others didn`t work out has nothing to do with O`Brien working out. It´s not like Belichick is poisoning them or something like that - they are all their own man, and there are several reasons why one or the other didn`t work out.

A new QB is always a gamble. I think a guy like Lovie Smith would`ve been a safer bet, but a guy like O`Brien is the more exciting pick. He has proven he can work in a pretty bad situation in Penn State, he has proven he can be a good college head coach. Does that mean anything now? Not much, but certainly a lot more than other Belichick guys failing so far.

So let`s see where this goes. I am cautiously optimistic (but I´m also always an optimist).
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #594
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
(on quarterbacks coach George Godsey’s ability to teach Tom Savage) “George is an excellent football coach. He’s a very, very bright guy. He’s a quick-minded guy. He’s a competitive guy and he loves to coach quarterbacks. So he’s with these guys all the time and I meet with them sometimes but he meets with them most of the time and he does a really good job of understanding that each one of those guys is at a different stage in their career. One guy is a rookie, one guy is in his second year, one guy is in his tenth year. So he’s able to reach all three of them in different ways and I think they’ve enjoyed being coached by him and they like our system. So George and I really love our offensive system so we enjoy coaching that and teaching that and George has done a really good job with all of those guys.”

(on his history with George Godsey) “Well, I coached him and when I coached him he was a really bright guy. He was the type of guy that you could signal in a play to him and half way through the signal he already knew the play, he knew the rest of the play because he had memorized the gameplan. He knew what was so he could turn into the huddle and call the play. He was just a really bright guy and then when he was done he played in the arena league for, I think a couple seasons, and then he played in the Arena D-League or B-League or some other Arena League and he called me one time and said, ‘What do you think?’ And I said, ‘Well, I think you need to run from the Arena League and decide what you want to do,’ and he wanted to coach and eventually he got hooked up with George O’Leary at Central Florida who he had played for and I had worked for at Georgia Tech and I was able to recommend him to Bill Belichick in New England in 2011. You know, going into that season he came up and was a quality control guy for us there, did a really good job for us the year we went to the Super Bowl and I tried to get him to Penn State but we couldn’t get him to Penn State but that’s a story for another time and then I was able to get him here to Houston, so it was good.”

(on his opinion of George Godsey when he played at Georgia Tech under O’Brien) “You could tell the way he played, the way he thought the game, the way he loved the game, you could tell that he would eventually end up coaching, no doubt about it.”
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...4-761adaa795b1

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read