Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Thumbs up or down on Alfred Blue at 6.181
Up 28 82.35%
Down 6 17.65%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2014   #41
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30851 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Alfred Blue, RB, LSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
We really don't know what "this offense" is, yet.
True, but O'Brien has said he likes to be able to do different things on offense and be multiple. I'm not complaining about the pick, but for the sake of versatility I think Lache could have been a better option. He is kind of arrogant and a knucklehead, but he's pretty damn explosive too.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #42
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 77871 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Alfred Blue, RB, LSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
True, but O'Brien has said he likes to be able to do different things on offense and be multiple. I'm not complaining about the pick, but for the sake of versatility I think Lache could have been a better option. He is kind of arrogant and a knucklehead, but he's pretty damn explosive too.
Exactly the kind of guys O'Brien steers clear of and is on record of saying "Smart and team" since day one. Arrogant and knucklehead need not apply.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #43
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 108854 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Selection 6.181: Alfred Blue RB

Blue is a great pick. I've seen enough LSU football to be able to tell you that. I love love love this pick at this round.
Old 05-10-2014   #44
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81710 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Blue is a great pick. I've seen enough LSU football to be able to tell you that. I love love love this pick at this round.
I like this pick. Blue is somewhat a hard nose runner like Tate.
He can complement Foster well.
We've already have several smaller backs on the team.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #45
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

I just hope he changes his first name to Deep and middle name to Steel......
Old 05-11-2014   #46
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 108854 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I like this pick. Blue is somewhat a hard nose runner like Tate.
He can complement Foster well.
We've already have several smaller backs on the team.
Yes, it'll be nice to have a bigger bruiser. I think he will help in goal line and short yardage situation and hopefully keep some mileage off Foster.
Old 05-11-2014   #47
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

When you consider Lache Seastrunk was still on the board and we took a low mileage rotational depth player, I SMH at this pick.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #48
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

So I have no idea what to think of this pick, except a lot of people besides John Mcclain seem to think the Baylor RB would have been a better choice ?
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #49
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 150814 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
So I have no idea what to think of this pick, except a lot of people besides John Mcclain seem to think the Baylor RB would have been a better choice ?
Lache caught zero passes out of the backfield whereas Blue is a good receiver out of the backfield .
Old 05-11-2014   #50
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Blue showed a lot of promise in 2011 as part of a rotation and was great for red-zone carries as he's a huge dude already and picks up a lot of momentum going forward (and is hard to stop when he's at full speed; the lack of quick-start/stop ability comments by scouting reports don't surprise me but I'm not upset by them, either). As an aside his house actually burned down in 2011 just before the Kentucky game IIRC but he came in and played well, garnering 72 yards (again, as part of a rotation of backs when Spencer Ware was the go-to guy).

In 2012 he came in and was talked up as being the 3-down back (while still making use of Ware and the other backs as part of a rotation) and had some good games but injured his ACL. The LSU running game sputtered until they decided to start Jeremy Hill who blew up against South Carolina, at which point Blue became buried on the depth chart.

When Hill was suspended for the start of 2013, Blue took up the role of traditional back whereas Terrance Magee was used as a more traditional halfback, and Blue ran well. As soon as Hill was back, Blue again fell behind on the depth chart. On the other hand, this also means he doesn't have a lot of wear-and-tear compared to other running backs coming out of college.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #51
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

He played well at LSU (or at least the games I watched). Needs to continue improving and is a bigger back (6'2" 220-lbs) but I suspect he's going to be our Kevin Faulk-type of guy.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #52
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81420 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Blue has great size and is a strong, downhill runner that can catch the ball. He's basically a young Andre Brown. I was somewhat surprised by the player, but not by the type of back that O'Brien went after. I wouldn't be shocked to see him take over for Brown as the bulldozer in this offense when his contract is up. Also, he plays special teams.

Also, for those of you who are angry that we passed on Seastrunk. The guy is a one-trick pony. He fell so far for a reason. He's a change of pace back who can't block and can't catch. Not a whole lot of call for that in the NFL.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #53
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 31892 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw him play TCU this year. Great rotational player, and will do what O'Brien asks of him. He's not going to be a star 3 down back, but he's the big, change of pace RB we're looking for.
Old 05-11-2014   #54
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
I saw him play TCU this year. Great rotational player, and will do what O'Brien asks of him. He's not going to be a star 3 down back, but he's the big, change of pace RB we're looking for.
He has the potential to be what we all hoped Ben Tate should have been.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014   #55
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 261571 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26
Quote:
LSU coach Les Miles on RB Alfred Blue, Texans 6th-round pick: "I love him. His nickname is Cheese....big smile."

LSU coach Les Miles on RB Alfred Blue, Texans 6th-round pick: "He was absolutely a steal & he will play special team snaps start to finish."

Les Miles on RB Alfred Blue,Texans 6th-round pick: "Two years ago when we started the season he may well have been the finest back in our conference."
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014   #56
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Watched some of his runs and the thing I liked was that the first hit rarely brought him down. He didn't pinball off of people but he turned a 1 yard run into a 3 yard run or a 4 yard run into a 6 yard run. Little things matter.
Old 05-14-2014   #57
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 261571 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Field Yates ‏@FieldYates
Quote:
Texans sign RB Alfred Blue to rookie deal.
Look at how "heavy" his legs look. At 6'2.5" you'd think he weighs upwards of 240.

Last edited by Playoffs; 05-14-2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-04-2014   #58
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Tom Savage, Alfred Blue among impact players drafted on Day 3

Gil Brandt

Quote:
Alfred Blue, RB, Houston Texans
Draft position: Round 6, No. 181 overall

Though Blue will be fighting for time as part of a position group that also includes Arian Foster and Andre Brown, he's exactly the kind of big, strong, quick running back that coach Bill O'Brien loves. He's got everything needed to be a successful ball-carrier, including good hands. Checking in at 6-foot-2 3/8 and 223 pounds, Blue cuts an imposing figure on the field. He did miss time after tearing his ACL early in the 2012 season; between that and the fact that LSU rotates backs, Blue did not get a ton of carries or starts at the college level. Still, he did gain 6 yards per attempt.
Old 06-04-2014   #59
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59991 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember watching Blue play at LSU...Dude is a nice hard nosed grinding type player...

When he's healthy he's a dependable back that might not be super flashy but you know he's going to do something positive.
xtruroyaltyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014   #60
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 4915 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

The Jerome Bettis of running backs. I like an offense that uses the FB as a runner, and a big strong RB is a pretty good substitute. Somebody we need on the goal line.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read