Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Thumbs up or down on Tom Savage at 4.135
Up 110 84.62%
Down 20 15.38%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2014   #141
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx
Default Re: Selection 4.135: Tom Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
And why would you want Mallett?

Weren't you one of those who said that a team needs a first rounder at QB?
I don't want mallett,but he's better than the options in front of us. To be exact,I wanted mallett ,foles,wilson,and geno withinn the last 3 years. I knew schaub wasn't the answer,but that's me.

Going into the season with fitz and his bad play,keenum or tj,and savage is not a option I would like to see happen. The team would be 1 injury away from another disaster.
Old 05-11-2014   #142
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Selection 4.135: Tom Savage QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
So what starting QB at a large university either does not have a really hot girlfriend or a harem of skanks.
You make it sound like having a harem of skanks is a bad thing. As long as you wrap that rascal and aren't creating a bunch of child support checks, he should play the field.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #143
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104085 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Lack of mobility? I saw that as a knock on him, but he doesn't seem like a statue. I wouldn't say he was as fast as Keenum or anything, but his highlight reel shows him able to escape pressure and extend the play.

Liked a bit of what I saw. He has a rifle of an arm, for sure.
Old 05-11-2014   #144
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 27197 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

Drew Henson, Dave Ragone, B.J. Symons, Alex Brink, and T.J Yates welcome Savage. At least with Yates we have some good memories.
Old 05-11-2014   #145
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24496 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Lack of mobility? I saw that as a knock on him, but he doesn't seem like a statue. I wouldn't say he was as fast as Keenum or anything, but his highlight reel shows him able to escape pressure and extend the play.

Liked a bit of what I saw. He has a rifle of an arm, for sure.
Well, he is more like Peyton Manning when it comes to mobility. He does a lot of small, smart movements in the pocket that make guys miss. But he also takes off more than he should, and he seems to be an awful runner that doesn't slide.

I've watched some tape on him and so far he looks really promising. He has a cannon of an arm as we all know, but he doesn't look half as inaccurate as I feared. Frankly I've seen McCarron miss on more easy throws, but that may just be because of the limited tape I've watched.

Of course he still has to develope his reads, eyes, and decicion making and define his mechanics. When you take a QB at the bottom of the fourth you know, that there is a big chance he never developes into something. But I agree that his tape and his tools are impressive, plus you have got to like his story. I am anxious to see what OB can do with him. Frankly I would be more than happy to see him start sooner rather than later. I dont think any QB on the roster is the answer, so lets give him a shot. If he doesnt impress us, take a QB next draft.

Edit: Alright, Ive now watched 3 games (draftbreakdown).

Hes had a real good game vs. Miami. Ive counted 7 very catchable throws that were dropped. Savage also really showcases his ability to get out of trouble when the pocket collapsed. He had a handful of bad throws in there and an INT when he forced it late in the 4th. Great game overall.

Vs. NC was a lot tougher for him. He had several bad throws in there and fumbled the ball. His O-Line gave him no help at all. He got pressured all day. Still, you see all his upside. Look at his first 2 throws that game, those are perfect NFL throws. He doesn`t only throw it fast, he also throws a perfect spiral. He has a tendency to stare down his receivers and he needs to learn, when it is better to just take a sack. But he also led a pretty good comeback that fel just short.

After that gametape I feel even better than before. I havent seen one wtf throw, I haven`t seen lots of screens to boost his stats and I haven`t seen inaccuracy. I have seen a horrible o-line and I have seen receivers, that drop easy balls (though it wasn`t half as bad vs. NC as it was against Miami). I can see now, why scouts fell in love with him.

Last edited by LikeMike; 05-11-2014 at 05:17 AM.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #146
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209005 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post

Long lost... father and son?
He's the baby from Raising Arizona!

I loved that movie.

Quote:
Ed McDonnough: You mean you busted out of jail.

Evelle: No, ma'am. We released ourselves on our own recognizance.

Gale: What Evelle here is trying to say is that we felt that the institution no longer had anything to offer us.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #147
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
You make it sound like having a harem of skanks is a bad thing. As long as you wrap that rascal and aren't creating a bunch of child support checks, he should play the field.
Only bad because I did not have one in college
Old 05-11-2014   #148
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 59836 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Guys, you seem to be forgetting the best way to assess a QB.

How hot was his GF?

she has a nice looking....

cat
Pollardized is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #149
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144668 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollardized View Post
she has a nice looking....

cat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRR1aKBOCOQ
Old 05-11-2014   #150
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78460 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Was not a big fan of Savage during the pre-draft process. He got a lot of hype behind him because of his physical attributes and not for his play on the field. He struggled against good competition and his best qualities were traits and not skills (aka being big and strong arm).

That being said, O'Brien clearly likes him and thinks he can work with what he's got. I don't love the pick, but I don't hate it. Especially since it was a late 4th rounder instead of a 2nd-3rd rounder like many people were saying. I would have lost it if we had taken him with a 2nd or 3rd.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #151
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24496 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Was not a big fan of Savage during the pre-draft process. He got a lot of hype behind him because of his physical attributes and not for his play on the field. He struggled against good competition and his best qualities were traits and not skills (aka being big and strong arm).

That being said, O'Brien clearly likes him and thinks he can work with what he's got. I don't love the pick, but I don't hate it. Especially since it was a late 4th rounder instead of a 2nd-3rd rounder like many people were saying. I would have lost it if we had taken him with a 2nd or 3rd.
Just finished watching the game against Florida. While I said he didn`t have any wtf throws the 3 other games I watched, he had 3 in this one. But to his defense, he was severly pressured and sackes often. Still, you can`t make some of these throws.

Still, what I am seeing on tape is really encouraging. Also in the Florida game he had several throws that not many people in the NFL can do. Like 60 yards bombs that hit the receiver in stride.

I would almost go as far as to say: accuracy is not a big problem. I haven`t seen many bad throws. Some were a little low, and a couple got away from him some. But overall he throws to good spots. His low completion % is probably at least in part due to his horrible O-line (rushing throws and having to throw away the ball hurts your percentage) and to the bad hands of several of his receivers that dropped lots of balls.

His problem is more his vision and going through his reads fast. He knows who he wants to throw to and stares at him - defenders can easily read him. When his guy isn`t open, he takes to long to go to the next option. And, especially late in games, hes got a tendency to force the ball into good coverage. Oh and he definetly needs to improve his play action, that is fooling no one.

I can absolutely see what scouts love about him. After scouting him and the top 4, Id say he easily has the best arm (better than Carr) and he also is one of the most accurate if it only comes down to ballplacement. Carr and Bridgewater were horrible on deep balls, Savage is pretty good. And I saw fewer balls get away from him, than from Bortles.

Coaches need to work with his vision and fast decisionmaking, his eyes and what to do when there is a blitz (hint: don`t run backwards and get sacked and don`t run for it when there are defenders nearby. Oh and please slide). Considering he hasn`t been in any offense for more than a season and he lacks experience, those are things that are definetly correctable. Savage looks like a winner.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #152
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
So what starting QB at a large university either does not have a really hot girlfriend or a harem of skanks.
Yeah, why are their GF"s of so much importance all of a sudden? I'd imagine every starting college QB even at Junior colleges have hot GF's. Big deal.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #153
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Yeah, why are their GF"s of so much importance all of a sudden? I'd imagine every starting college QB even at Junior colleges have hot GF's. Big deal.
There was a running... or should I say IS a running joke about the confidence of the QB prospect being related to how hot his GF is.

It's just a joke.

I think.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #154
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I don't want mallett,but he's better than the options in front of us. To be exact,I wanted mallett ,foles,wilson,and geno withinn the last 3 years. I knew schaub wasn't the answer,but that's me.

Going into the season with fitz and his bad play,keenum or tj,and savage is not a option I would like to see happen. The team would be 1 injury away from another disaster.
All you can say is that you like Mallett; you can't tell us why he will be better than what we currently got.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #155
Lord Bills
Destruction

Rep Power: 2290 Lord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs down Re: Selection 4.135: Tom Savage

Come on guys seriously this guy?:

NO.

NO.

NO.

He does not pass the hall of fame handsome criteria needed to be a consistently great quarterback.

THIS GUY IS ALREADY BALDING FFS!!!!!

Look at that face, does that look like a guy in the same level as russell wilson, eli & payton manning, joe montana, dan marino, aaron rodgers?

NO HE DOES NOT.

HE LOOKS LIKE A REGISTERED SEX OFFENDER WHO DOES HOME BURGLARIES.

And reading his weaknesses like being immobile and not being able to read progressions along with his early onset balding, pretty much seals his fate as a back up quarterback.

Thank god kubiak is no longer with us to fall in love with this guy and make him a 5 year starter....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Guys, you seem to be forgetting the best way to assess a QB.

How hot was his GF?

she beautiful but not superbowl mvp champion hot level enough to make up for his husband's deficiencies of looking like a registered sex offender who does home burglaries.
Lord Bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #156
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
Come on guys seriously this guy?:

Look at that face, does that look like a guy in the same level as russell wilson, eli & payton manning, joe montana, dan marino, aaron rodgers?

You have a thing for these guys? If not NFL QBs, they would be perfect as Gomer and Goober if the Andy Griffith Show ever made it to the big screen.

And by your criteria, Tom Savage is a kickass, Super Bowl MVP type name. At the very least, it's a great porn name.

Last edited by Lucky; 05-11-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #157
Lord Bills
Destruction

Rep Power: 2290 Lord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

You have a thing for these guys? If not NFL QBs, they would be perfect as Gomer and Goober if the Andy Griffith Show ever made it to the big screen.

And by your criteria, Tom Savage is a kickass, Super Bowl MVP type name. At the very least, it's a great porn mame.

yes his name is great, but its powers to propel him to greatness was ruined with him looking like a registered sex offender who does home burglaries. that was scientifically verified with his early onset balding.

honest question,

can you seriously trust a young athlete to be consistently great if he's already balding in his prime?

i dunno, maybe its just me but i wouldnt trust any young athlete already balding during their prime athletic years.

in any sport.
Old 05-11-2014   #158
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
All you can say is that you like Mallett; you can't tell us why he will be better than what we currently got.
In your absence the reasons to like Mallett have been laid out several times. Besides, it doesn't appear you are going to give due consideration to any explanation anyway.
Old 05-11-2014   #159
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post

honest question,

can you seriously trust a young athlete to be consistently great if he's already balding in his prime?

i dunno, maybe its just me but i wouldnt trust any young athlete already balding during their prime athletic years.

in any sport.
Ryan Getzlaf, C, Anaheim Ducks (NHL)
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #160
Lord Bills
Destruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Ryan Getzlaf, C, Anaheim Ducks (NHL)
there's always the exception to the rule.

but they are exceptions, not the rule.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read